Maze food bowls?

Rob85

Has anyone tried those food bowls with the wee maze design in the bottom? My Lab is absolutely bolting her food into her in record time, I assume this is because the breeder fed 9 pups from the same big dish and they were going as fast as they could to get their fill.

I would like her to slow down a wee bit and come up for air!

She's a Labrador, right?? Have had a few and they all golloped their grub.  Just put a bit at a time if your that worried. I had a friend in Denmark who had four and he would sit them in a line about a yard apart. Then put the bowls with food infront then say something in Danish I didn't understand ....probaly OK and they would all dive in and clean their own bowls before sitting back down. It was impressive to see.

1 hour ago, Rob85 said:

Has anyone tried those food bowls with the wee maze design in the bottom? My Lab is absolutely bolting her food into her in record time, I assume this is because the breeder fed 9 pups from the same big dish and they were going as fast as they could to get their fill.

I would like her to slow down a wee bit and come up for air!

I used a Likimat Buddy for my springer pup, just to slow him down a bit for his wet food (mince) in order to give older dog a chance to finish his.

Adds about 30 seconds to the experience.

Depending on what age it is, might be worth trying to satureat ehim with food for a week, see if that will slow him down.

Mine get the raw in evenings, but kibble is available all day for them.

The suggestion about chucking it across the patio....im on the point of renaming her Henry after the hoover as it is!! The slightest crumb on the floor disappears in a fraction of a second!

I had heard labs were greedy so I'm starting her steadiness off at dinner time making her wait now before being allowed into her bowl. I think I might give one of them weird bowls a go and see what happens, who knows it might be entertaining to watch 😄

1 hour ago, Rob85 said:

The suggestion about chucking it across the patio....im on the point of renaming her Henry after the hoover as it is!! The slightest crumb on the floor disappears in a fraction of a second!

I had heard labs were greedy so I'm starting her steadiness off at dinner time making her wait now before being allowed into her bowl. I think I might give one of them weird bowls a go and see what happens, who knows it might be entertaining to watch 😄

We’ve got a lab and use those bowls and they’re helpful! They still try to go full tilt but the bowl has definitely slowed him down.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/01/2022 at 22:46, Rob85 said:

I had heard labs were greedy so I'm starting her steadiness off at dinner time making her wait now before being allowed into her bowl.

Both the labs I have had were made to do that.  My first lab went deaf in later life - and continued to do it to hand signals.  I have never been watched so attentively! 

Although neither were anything like  'perfectly trained' ........ both would do this bit perfectly.  It shows what a powerful training aid food is with a lab!

We have 2 labs both litter brothers, Buster is rather weird, he will not even look at his food if you watch or are anywhere near him or Harley his brother is still eating his. He has never scoffed his food even as a pup, the breeder also fed the litter of 8 from 1 large donut style feeder, we decided on the 1st viewing that the one standing in the middle of the feed bowl would be our choice of the litter. 

16 hours ago, Dougy said:

We have 2 labs both litter brothers, Buster is rather weird, he will not even look at his food if you watch or are anywhere near him or Harley his brother is still eating his. He has never scoffed his food even as a pup, the breeder also fed the litter of 8 from 1 large donut style feeder, we decided on the 1st viewing that the one standing in the middle of the feed bowl would be our choice of the litter. 

Sadly I never got to see the litter mine came from when they were eating. Things have started improving now I've started to steady her up a bit and make her wait before she gets food, I'm holding off on the maze type bowl to see how this progresses. The worst she's had is a few cases of hiccups after scoffing.

Shes definitely a dustbin on legs though, you can't take your eyes off her or she's got something in her mouth, grass, twigs, stolen cack from the bin etc. She's started to get sulky and getting ignoring the missus as well sometimes so a more formal training regime is coming to her this week!

35 minutes ago, Rob85 said:

more formal training regime is coming to her this week!

One of the things my father used to do was to think of the 'pack mentality'.  Dogs are fundamentally pack animals - and packs have a hierarchy - and it is important the dog sees you as the pack leader.  Things that could be used to reinforce this were around 'manners'.  For example - when at the door - you should go through first - then invite the dog through - NOT let them barge ahead.  Similarly when getting into/out of a car - they can be ready - but should not get in/out until told to.  It keeps them looking to you as 'pack leader'.

8 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

One of the things my father used to do was to think of the 'pack mentality'.  Dogs are fundamentally pack animals - and packs have a hierarchy - and it is important the dog sees you as the pack leader.  Things that could be used to reinforce this were around 'manners'.  For example - when at the door - you should go through first - then invite the dog through - NOT let them barge ahead.  Similarly when getting into/out of a car - they can be ready - but should not get in/out until told to.  It keeps them looking to you as 'pack leader'.

Bingo, exactly how I work with mine, I'm pack leader with no exceptions. My late spaniel was possessive of her food when she was young and I went so far as to take her bowl and pretend to eat from it first before she was allowed her "share". I may sound a bit of a mental case but it worked! And as far as I'm concerned if it looks stupid and it works, it isnt stupid!

1 hour ago, Dougy said:

This is what we are faced with, 

"dont watch me while im eating,,, It's rude !!! "

Apparently his mother was the same so something in the genes perhaps. 

food.jpg

Thats one lovely shiny coat. With how my pup is growing its hard to imagine how small she was at the start. Even at this stage I'm assuming she will still double in size in the next 3-6months.

Bit of my missus' home grown photography skills...

IMG-20220120-WA0021.jpg

Nice looking pup👍

They grow bloody fast, our used to crawl through a chimney, was really funny watching him try but couldn't quite get his shoulders through. 

Hope you get her feeding sorted, have you tried smaller more frequent feeding, the idea is she will hopefully realise there is more food coming soon. Putting a ball in with the food bowl so it has to be moved to get to it or spreading it over a larger area like a mat so she has to move about to get to it ?