Security cameras

snow white

Hi we have put up security cameras on your property the person next door said we should have asked his permission first I have told him that none of them are looking on his property I have taken great pains to make sure of that.

my question is did I need permission of him I am not bothered they are staying up 

You most definitely do not need anybody's permission to put CCTV cameras on your own property. the proviso is that they only cover your property, the cameras should not overlook anybody else's property or indeed the public highway or street.

Having said that, there has been several occasions when the police have knocked my door and asked if by any chance, my cameras had picked up a street incident, so I don't think they are that strict about the rules if nobody complains.   

I put some up when my house was renovated. The government has some guidance in the link below;

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/domestic-cctv-using-cctv-systems-on-your-property/domestic-cctv-using-cctv-systems-on-your-property

I also have a small window sticker, which i dont believe is a requirement but the installer advised me to add it. 6 x Warning 24 Hour CCTV Monitored Camera Home Premises Security Window  Sticker Sign

1 hour ago, Tonka54 said:

You most definitely do not need anybody's permission to put CCTV cameras on your own property. the proviso is that they only cover your property, the cameras should not overlook anybody else's property or indeed the public highway or street.

Having said that, there has been several occasions when the police have knocked my door and asked if by any chance, my cameras had picked up a street incident, so I don't think they are that strict about the rules if nobody complains.   

Didn't know Loughborough was such a rough area :rolleyes:  Joking apart, just good manners not to put your cameras looking at other folks area without their permission.  Good neighbours would normally keep an eye out on each other anyway but times have changed. What you do on your own property is your business unless it is crinimal..

47 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Didn't know Loughborough was such a rough area :rolleyes:  Joking apart, just good manners not to put your cameras looking at other folks area without their permission.  Good neighbours would normally keep an eye out on each other anyway but times have changed. What you do on your own property is your business unless it is crinimal..

LOL Loughborough is generally not to bad apart from a couple of housing estates and the town centre at night, Unfortunately I live just over the road from one of these estates and from time to time we do get a bit of street crime, but for some reason the local scallies don't tend to **** on their own doorstep.

The estate I live opposite has ironically been named the "poets estate" , but in my opinion "little Beirut" would have been more appropriate.  

4 minutes ago, discobob said:

One of them in Chester, in Blacon - Rough as anything - that's where my wife come's from!!!!

Could have been worse, mine comes from Dundee/Scotland. Her way of solving a domestic argument is with a kiss, A Glasgow kiss that is.

5 minutes ago, Tonka54 said:

Could have been worse, mine comes from Dundee/Scotland. Her way of solving a domestic argument is with a kiss, A Glasgow kiss that is.

in my defense - I met her in Cyprus - as she says "a holiday romance that went wrong" - 28 years later we are still to stubborn to separate!!!

47 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

No you don't, but make a point of mentioning that, although you can see/record  anybody approaching his property, if any damage or theft from his property occurs you will ensure that any evidence is wiped immediately as they are so anti. 

Just good neighbourlyness ...What ??

Haha, neighbours on one side is a small time home selling car dealer in his spare time, has cameras looking over my front after asking me: to which I said 'aim it straight across my front to monitor our cars too please'

The Asian on other side had someone out three or four years ago to quote and I heard him ask if he could aim it over my rear fence to be told no he's not allowed to do that.

When it comes to cctv it’s a mine field. I used to install it along with secure entry systems etc, as soon as your cctv system can capture anyone other that members of your household within your boundaries it is covered by gdpr, the operator (the home owner/anyone that can access and Or operate the system) becomes a “data controller” if the system can see beyond your boundaries it’s a requirement to have signs to notify the people that could be seen that they are in view of cctv. 

if you’d like to do some reading :- https://www.labelsource.co.uk/news/post/cctv-what-the-law-says-about-declaring-surveillance

7 minutes ago, Spr1985 said:

When it comes to cctv it’s a mine field. I used to install it along with secure entry systems etc, as soon as your cctv system can capture anyone other that members of your household within your boundaries it is covered by gdpr, the operator (the home owner/anyone that can access and Or operate the system) becomes a “data controller” if the system can see beyond your boundaries it’s a requirement to have signs to notify the people that could be seen that they are in view of cctv. 

if you’d like to do some reading :- https://www.labelsource.co.uk/news/post/cctv-what-the-law-says-about-declaring-surveillance

Thereby telling would be burglars to don their full face balaclava's and feel free to break into the property safe in the knowledge that they won't be recognised.

That is unless it's the Irish crew from down the road, in which case you will know it was them because they will have sawn the wrong end off their shotguns.😁  

16 minutes ago, Tonka54 said:

Thereby telling would be burglars to don their full face balaclava's and feel free to break into the property safe in the knowledge that they won't be recognised

Correct, but I didn’t make the rules, just passing what little knowledge I have along 👍🏻

18 minutes ago, Tonka54 said:

That is unless it's the Irish crew from down the road, in which case you will know it was them because they will have sawn the wrong end off their shotguns.😁  

This made me chuckle 🤭 

If you position your cameras so they only capture images within your property boundries, then you do not need stickers and you are not bound by GDPR, even if persons who are not your family members are captured because they have entered your property.

https://ico.org.uk/your-data-matters/domestic-cctv-systems-guidance-for-people-using-cctv/