Security cameras

snow white

22 minutes ago, Chris B123 said:

If cameras are only meant to capture your property, how are dash cams allowed?

Quite simply because they are not classed as cctv. 

although if they are in a vehicle being used for commercial/business purposes  you are required to display a sticker advising of it’s presence 

Edited by Spr1985
Adding information

11 minutes ago, Chris B123 said:

If cameras are only meant to capture your property, how are dash cams allowed?

I've  had that thought also.

I have 4 cctv cameras around my house / property and as far as I  could find out this is all controlled by rules from the information commissioners office.  These state's that you can record images from your own property but you cannot from anything at all from outside of your boundary.  If you do you have to have a licence and there has to be a data controller in charge of the data. This data has to be kept for a period of time but anyone who wants to view it has to pay a set fee. Personally I don't have an issue with cctv but although plod wants to view footage most if not all is not admissible as evidence in any court case.  Two things come into play with cctv footage.   One is the quality and another is even if you have a crystal image of someone,   who is that person and where do they come from.

44 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

That's strange, they are the very definition of CCTV.

Maybe not the dictionary definition, but the Closed Circuit part.

I won’t argue with you on the definition but according to the Ico cctv covers a specific area (up to and including 360 degree rotating STATIC camera’s) due to the roaming  nature of a dash cam it is not considered cctv. The same way as your iPhone,samsung etc etc or digital slr for that mater is not considered cctv. https://www.griffinhouseconsultancy.co.uk/blog/dashboard-cams-need-notify-ico/

Edited by Spr1985