How can owners do this to dogs?

chrisjpainter

While working in Musselburgh some years ago two of us lodged in a local B&B. We got there late evening so had already eaten, but at breakfast were served a ‘full Scottish’ piled so high on the plate that neither of us could finish it. Before we left for work we saw him emptying our plates into a dog bowl, over which hovered the biggest Golden Retriever I’d ever seen. Absolutely obese so! Over the next two days we stayed there it transpired the dog was only three! 🤷‍♂️

A lot of wobbling black labs around me, seems fat is the new slim

I bumped into a well heeled woman getting out of a new jag 4x4 not so long ago with a huge fat black lab, we passed morning pleasantries and she added 'he is on a diet' I swiftly replied so is mine! The glare I was given would have won an award if I could have photographed it and the silence was magical

Abuse pure and simple, but if we cannot stop idiots doing it to their kids then we have no hope of solving it regarding dogs. Local chap has 2 chocolate brown labs that are as wide as they are long, see them occasionally plodding around the same path in the village (that is surrounded by fields) with nothing but pure boredom in their eyes. 

2 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

Abuse pure and simple, but if we cannot stop idiots doing it to their kids then we have no hope of solving it regarding dogs. Local chap has 2 chocolate brown labs that are as wide as they are long, see them occasionally plodding around the same path in the village (that is surrounded by fields) with nothing but pure boredom in their eyes. 

Seeing fat children makes me so sad 😔

Working in Liverpool you see so many young lives that are blighted by their dead beat parents before they have even got started, for all sorts of reasons but fatness seems so easily avoidable. 30 years ago when i was at school you would get one fat child per class. Now it is over half. We were swimming at Northgate in Chester recently and I felt so bad for some of the children. In the showers afterwards I noticed that my little sons looked like miniature prize fighters. We do not do anything special but we just don’t do stupid things. The boys eat chocolate etc and are not denied anything but they are not given copious junk. People feed their children chips etc or chicken nuggets rather than proper food. Gorging on highly processed empty calories. 

With the dogs mine are fed their kibble and kitchen scraps (egg shells etc). They work hard and if they get heavy I reduce their kibble. I feed each of them different amounts depending upon where they are compared to their ideal ‘fighting’ weight. 

C8C7FB60-6F7D-4375-B88D-B9DC5EDE9BE0.jpeg

On 14/01/2022 at 07:58, WalkedUp said:

Seeing fat children makes me so sad 😔

Working in Liverpool you see so many young lives that are blighted by their dead beat parents before they have even got started, for all sorts of reasons but fatness seems so easily avoidable. 30 years ago when i was at school you would get one fat child per class. Now it is over half. We were swimming at Northgate in Chester recently and I felt so bad for some of the children. In the showers afterwards I noticed that my little sons looked like miniature prize fighters. We do not do anything special but we just don’t do stupid things. The boys eat chocolate etc and are not denied anything but they are not given copious junk. People feed their children chips etc or chicken nuggets rather than proper food. Gorging on highly processed empty calories. 

With the dogs mine are fed their kibble and kitchen scraps (egg shells etc). They work hard and if they get heavy I reduce their kibble. I feed each of them different amounts depending upon where they are compared to their ideal ‘fighting’ weight. 

C8C7FB60-6F7D-4375-B88D-B9DC5EDE9BE0.jpeg

What a stunner, this is the shape of Lab that should be shown at crufts and not the fat roly-poly Labradors!

Your dog would be considered an athlete in comparison to most and even a dog with just a little extra on the bones would be acceptable, I just don't see how its too hard for people to understand feeding... the bags of kibble even give instructions on feeding recommendations and so long as you are educated enough to read then the dog should be fine.

On 15/01/2022 at 12:02, Rob85 said:

What a stunner, this is the shape of Lab that should be shown at crufts and not the fat roly-poly Labradors!

Your dog would be considered an athlete in comparison to most and even a dog with just a little extra on the bones would be acceptable, I just don't see how its too hard for people to understand feeding... the bags of kibble even give instructions on feeding recommendations and so long as you are educated enough to read then the dog should be fine.

That's not a lab :P