Hunt Monitors

steve_b_wales

On 15/01/2022 at 11:55, steve_b_wales said:

I have read similar stories many times - and I don't doubt they are correct.  However - other than being aware that their so called 'evidence' is unreliable (which the article does make clear that the police are aware of) - I don't see what can be done?  The laws of 'trespass' are not readily enforced, and in many cases so called 'monitoring' may not involve any trespass.  Similarly - false evidence is (I think) only an offence when given under oath (although wasting police time is able to be prosecuted).  The article does also make clear that many of these so called monitors are already known to the police for various other offences - but that carries little or no weight until any sentence passing time (but it may make it more likely that if time has been 'wasted' before following up false allegations, then the police may not take any subsequent complaints by that person so seriously).

I have personally not witnessed our local hunt (who have been through very locally here twice in the last few years) following foxes.  It didn't happen here.  But other people on this group do claim to have witnessed/have evidence of hunting foxes still happening ....... which does make it difficult to be quite as dismissive of the 'monitors' as it seems there may be a role for at least some properly organised and documented monitoring?

9 minutes ago, Scully said:

The thing is they’re not monitors, they’re hunt saboteurs. If they want to be taken seriously then any monitoring needs to be done by totally independent monitors, with no agenda for either outcome, if such a thing is possible. 

totally agree Scully

dave

Scully is correct, these are the same individuals who classified themselves as "hunt saboteurs" in the past.
They are not independent, nor open minded, they have the same old agenda.
Some have changed the sticker on their jackets to "Monitor", as opposed to "Press", or "BBC", which we saw in the past.