17AHMR

Standard sight height the 17 HMR will kill rabbits out at 180yrds plus BUT in my experience the 17hmr is a close up fox killer 75 yards max to do the job properly so not much better than the 22RF.  Although it willhandle small targets out to 200 it is NOT a latge animal humane killer.  Yes, you might be lucky but  ask yourself is it worht it.

Learn to call and pull them in to 50yrds and whack 'em with the 22RF do the job humanely.

Edited by Walker570

With a 50 yard zero and 1.5" sight height , at 45 yards you will be approx.  3/8" under. At 70 yards you will be approx. 3/8" over and at 95 yards you will be approx.  3/8" under. 

According to Hawke Chairgun Pro.

Check it out yourself as there are other Zero options which could be better, but you know your land.

need to add that you must test on paper and not trust ballistic charts only as is stated in later posts.

An over sight on my part but very important.

Edited by Good shot?
Oversight

1 hour ago, scouser said:

Haven’t got a high seat.but got access to a flat garage roof, will put out some bait &.the  icotec.

If you bait don't use the caller, the key with bait is put it out daily and last thing so the birds don't eat it.  Callers can spook them and there is no need for one with bait.  If you have a Trail camera utilise that to see what time they are coming.  I use a 17H over bait round housing and it does a great job and is very discreet.

Edited by Weihrauch17

19 hours ago, scouser said:

rimy, so going to switch the pard on to the 17 HMR

Just a point of clarification that .17HMR is a rimfire cartridge. I take foxes out 120yd+ with my .17HMR. Even at that range it makes a mess of them, why?.... 

At 150yds a 17 or 20 grain .17HMR bullet has more power than a .22LR subsonic does at the muzzle. Would you shoot a trapped fox with a .22LR subsonic and expect it to do a humane job, yes. The only question is accuracy, especially in the wind. Can you put that shot on target into vital organs? That’s not a question for the internet or a ballistic table. You need to get on the range. My .223REM is much more forgiving but much noisier. 

19 hours ago, 222mark said:

The Rimfire will kill them better than the HMR, believe me. 

As above, hmr is a rimfire, and I would only head shoot foxes with it. Not a reliable fox round at more than 100 yards in my opinion. 

Edit to say, I would more likely agree with walker570 and say 75 yards would be more suitable and 100 maximum. If I was after foxes in those situations I’d use my .22 hornet which is much more suitable and no noisier than hmr.

Edited by Rimfireboy

4 hours ago, Rim Fire said:

Why not just put a target out instead of going off a chart and find out exactly what your rifle dose  

This is the answer . Spend ten minutes punching paper , and you'll know exactly what you and your gun are capable of👍.