An early start for some

Mightymariner

As previously mentioned in another post Jdog was invited this morning, but declined, though he did say he might come and watch - the thought of which made the mind boggle.

This is a duty shoot as there are hundreds of pigeons on this rape and some nearby linseed. 

The plan was for me to cover the rape and my pal (not Jdog, but someone who does rise early) to go to the linseed.

I actually needed headlights to set up but at least I was able and ready when the first pigeons arrived.

They usually like to sit in trees on the bottom edge of the field before dropping in. So I didn't bother with any decoys, just a hide within range of the two most popular trees.

Sure enough, just before 8am, they arrived, slipping silently in to the trees.

I shot a few sitting in the trees and a few flitting over me. Later I shot a couple that decoyed.

By Noon it was all over (it was all over by 10am really but it was a great morning to be out).

I shot ten pigeons. Whatsapped a pix of the early start to the farmer and went home.

My pal shot one pigeon (baffling when there had been over 300 on the linseed) and a dozen crows.

thumbnail_IMG_2979.jpg

• 2 weeks later...