Wigeon Wonderland- solo trip at the stone hide on lough neagh

Big Al

10 hours ago, Good shot? said:

Please keep posting BigAl I enjoy them all.

Its good to see your dogs revelling in that last pick up.

Thanks for your kind words.  I dont put everything on here - just when I remember and it will be of interest to pigeonwatchers.  The YouTube channel has everything on it.

1 hour ago, greylag said:

Another great adventure.Some really good retrieves,and shooting.

Can't believe we are at the wrong end of the season,it goes quicker the older I get.

Keep up the great vids.

Many thanks greylag. It really is incredible how quickly the season fly by. Quite disturbing in fact.

On 16/01/2022 at 20:42, Big Al said:

It's hard to believe that it is the middle of January.  We have no February foreshore extension here in NI, so this could be my last trip of the year.

Unbelievably,  I saw nothing but wigeon on this flight.

I watched it on your YouTube channel big Al brilliant good to see wigeon in over here Northern Ireland 👍👍Especially with the weather not being as cold 🥶 over here to previous years great flight for you mate 👍👍👍👍

19 hours ago, Gerry78 said:

I watched it on your YouTube channel big Al brilliant good to see wigeon in over here Northern Ireland 👍👍Especially with the weather not being as cold 🥶 over here to previous years great flight for you mate 👍👍👍👍

Thanks Gerry 

15 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

Another great video Al.

Thanks for posting, they`re always most enjoyable.

Hope that you can post more before the season ends.

OB

Much appreciated OB

11 hours ago, Cranfield said:

As good as usual, I also watch your videos on You Tube  and enjoy them all.
You are definitely blessed with your two top dogs, they certainly perform well.
It does seem to have been a short season, but thats probably because we are all getting older.🙂

Thanks Cranfield- the dogs have moments of pure thick-headedness too, but that's really down to the poor trainer (me.)

A very enjoyable watch Big Al.... a true countryman will watch a 'hit' bird ,Mark it down & search for it later. We all have been out with people who shoot & don't care about their quarry & it irritates me; But then I'm now old enough to get grumpy I suppose. Good to see a man who does care anyway!

Those dogs would die for you I think. One day they might say 'no thanks' , you go and get it.... but I doubt it.

Hope you at least have one more day this season. Thanks for posting.

39 minutes ago, pbutd said:

A very enjoyable watch Big Al.... a true countryman will watch a 'hit' bird ,Mark it down & search for it later. We all have been out with people who shoot & don't care about their quarry & it irritates me; But then I'm now old enough to get grumpy I suppose. Good to see a man who does care anyway!

Those dogs would die for you I think. One day they might say 'no thanks' , you go and get it.... but I doubt it.

Hope you at least have one more day this season. Thanks for posting.

People who have no respect for their quarry irritate me too. People like that should be on a clay ground  not a live quarry shoot. As for the dogs - I can take no credit.  The drive is just in them. 

I did get out for another wildfowling trip yesterday so I will try to make a clip during the week. Frustratingly, I shot a right and left at teal yesterday,  but the battery in the camera died and it went unrecorded. But we had a fantastic end to the duck season. 

A first class video Big Al , good shooting and superb retrieving .

We have had an above average season with Wigeon this season , very good up until just before Christmas and then it started to tail off as more and more marshes started to flood , even so you could still get one or two if you picked the right nights , I now very rarely go in the mornings as my body don't work that early , this last week with the sharp frosts have brought in a lot of Teal and my last duck on Friday night was a drake Gadwall in mint condition , Saturday we were game shooting all day so next week will be our last week and tomorrow night will be the start of a very busy week before we say farewell to another season :good:

17 hours ago, marsh man said:

A first class video Big Al , good shooting and superb retrieving .

We have had an above average season with Wigeon this season , very good up until just before Christmas and then it started to tail off as more and more marshes started to flood , even so you could still get one or two if you picked the right nights , I now very rarely go in the mornings as my body don't work that early , this last week with the sharp frosts have brought in a lot of Teal and my last duck on Friday night was a drake Gadwall in mint condition , Saturday we were game shooting all day so next week will be our last week and tomorrow night will be the start of a very busy week before we say farewell to another season :good:

Thanks for your kind words. 

Funny you mention those species - I did manage a last flight on Saturday morning- mostly teal. Some wigeon and a couple of gadwall. 

I'll post the video here as soon as I edit out a swearies!!

2 hours ago, Big Al said:

Thanks for your kind words. 

Funny you mention those species - I did manage a last flight on Saturday morning- mostly teal. Some wigeon and a couple of gadwall. 

I'll post the video here as soon as I edit out a swearies!!

Looking forward to your new release on your last flight , and don't worry about the swear words , we have no doubt heard it many, many times before :lol:

Big Al ... Do you ever shoot the loch in the late afternoons / evenings ? 

2 hours ago, marsh man said:

Looking forward to your new release on your last flight , and don't worry about the swear words , we have no doubt heard it many, many times before 

Big Al ... Do you ever shoot the loch in the late afternoons / evenings ? 

I can swear like a Dubliner. Not for delicate ears (not that there are too many on here!)

I have never had as much success shooting the lough in the afternoon/ evening flight. If the wind and weather is right, it'd be worth it, but I live relatively close , so the morning flight is no big deal.