Greylag 8bore

scarter

Yes. If you can get the wall thicknesses checked as irrespective of any gun being "in proof" if the barrels are thin any bad dent will cause problems when it comes to then taking it out. And as we all know in England and Wales lead shot has long been illegal for wildfowl. So iyt's either bismuth at "scorchio" prices, hevishot, TSS (equally "scorchio") or steel. 

Edited by enfieldspares

Hi scarter I’ve seen a few of these guns over the years. I’m sure they are a ten gauge bored out to eight gauge and sold by Elderkin gun shop. You could ask if anyone local to you reloads for advice before having a go. I would ask if they have had the chokes opened and the type of cartridges they were using. It’s not difficult to reload. I hope this helps you.

I had one for a number of years. It was just a curiosity for me as I found the recoil too much to be of practical use (throwing 8 bore loads from a 10 bore) and my 12 bore auto did what I needed to do fowling. If you get the load and recoil right for you then they are certainly the cheapest way to get into an 8 bore though. 

When Ian Charlton ( Clay and Game) was supplying the cardboard shot cups I’m sure he said they weren’t suitable for the Grey lag eight gauge. I would enquire about suitable wads especially if using non lead pellets. Clay and game supply card board shot cups and plastic wads. I would them for advice.

The greylag 8 bores are not true 8 bores and I really wouldn't want to shoot one being light for an 8!

Funnily enough if you want a fun gun I have a greylag 10 bore for sale which is a solid killer of geese and the the components are easily avaliable to load stuff up. 

It's 1/2 choke so you can run steel through it meaning your not bankrupting yourself every time you fire it!

I've got some nice loadings for it aswell and been using the fibre shot cups through it for some time with no issue and good result.