Opinel carbon steel knives

ehb102

If you want a decent knife recommendation, ask a wildfowler! These Opinel carbon steel knives are so lovely and super sharp and not at all expensive. 😍 I've been looking for affordable carbon steel knives for ages. Just waiting for someone to drop off a goose so I can test them out 😋 

I thought I'd share for PW to appreciate my joy at finding a Good Thing. Local folk think I'm weird enough already 😀 You can also tell me how sloooow I am to catch on 😂

IMG_20220117_132925.jpg

When I was about 10 I lost mine in a ditch. Last year I borrowed a metal detector and found it. Rotten handle and blade like some Roman find. Shocking quality. I would have expected it to be better than that after 48 years. 😁 Never been without one since I bought the replacement soon after I lost it.

6 hours ago, ehb102 said:

If you want a decent knife recommendation, ask a wildfowler! These Opinel carbon steel knives are so lovely and super sharp and not at all expensive. 😍 I've been looking for affordable carbon steel knives for ages. Just waiting for someone to drop off a goose so I can test them out 😋 

I thought I'd share for PW to appreciate my joy at finding a Good Thing. Local folk think I'm weird enough already 😀 You can also tell me how sloooow I am to catch on 😂

IMG_20220117_132925.jpg

Noah had them on the ark.

13 minutes ago, Dasher said:

Has anyone any experience of the stainless versions? 

Yes - they're very, very good. The steel takes a razor edge and stays sharp for a good long time. I go for the stainless models generally as opinels are going to be involved with food prep and skinning for the most part. 

I'm just glad to find some carbon steel blades. All my favourite knives are carbon steel. I thought for a long time that it wasn't made any more because you never find it generally it kitchen shops, which strangely enough is where normal people buy their knives 😀. It was only reading here that I realised you could still get carbon steel, and only more recently that it wasn't all incredibly expensive hand made ones. They just feel so different to stainless steel, I think they're worth the upkeep. 

10 hours ago, Smudger687 said:

Yes - they're very, very good. The steel takes a razor edge and stays sharp for a good long time. I go for the stainless models generally as opinels are going to be involved with food prep and skinning for the most part. 

I might have to do more shopping then. Stainless steel generally feels awful. I have one set of knives that I actually like - Lion "Gold" Sabatier.  Even the "good" brands like Richmond aren't that good IMHO. I've had very expensive knives on my wish list for ages but no luck at Xmas and birthdays so far. 

41 minutes ago, ehb102 said:

I'm just glad to find some carbon steel blades. All my favourite knives are carbon steel. I thought for a long time that it wasn't made any more because you never find it generally it kitchen shops, which strangely enough is where normal people buy their knives 😀. It was only reading here that I realised you could still get carbon steel, and only more recently that it wasn't all incredibly expensive hand made ones. They just feel so different to stainless steel, I think they're worth the upkeep. 

I might have to do more shopping then. Stainless steel generally feels awful. I have one set of knives that I actually like - Lion "Gold" Sabatier.  Even the "good" brands like Richmond aren't that good IMHO. I've had very expensive knives on my wish list for ages but no luck at Xmas and birthdays so far. 

Hello, have a look at Mora , made in Sweden , I have 1 in carbon and 1 in Stainless , 

I know it's almost sacrilegious to criticise Opinel knives, but those carbon steel blades rust very easily. 

BUT let me make amends, those blades are easy to get razor sharp and they hold an edge very nicely.

On a family visit to Paris, my dad bought me one when I was about 5 years old. He said it was my knife, but I couldn't have it until I was older. Nice move dad, good way to buy yourself a knife! As a young teenager, I claimed my prize and proceeded to abuse it as teenagers do. I can remember prizing limpets off rocks with it to use as bait 😲 Fast forward 30 years and the knife somehow survived and I had it professionally refurbished. The guy who did it did an excellent job and refused to take payment saying it would cost more than the knife was worth! Still have it, but don't use it as it's the closest thing to a family heirloom I have. I've promised it to my son when the time comes. 

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, have a look at Mora , made in Sweden , I have 1 in carbon and 1 in Stainless , 

Nice. There's a big chef's knife I have my eye on made by a Japanese manufacturer that is marked as "Swedish". I haven't yet worked out why. 

5 minutes ago, ehb102 said:

Nice. There's a big chef's knife I have my eye on made by a Japanese manufacturer that is marked as "Swedish". I haven't yet worked out why. 

a good place to hang out for knives is auction sales ..look in the house clearance areas.......found several proper original sabatier knives over the years.....there are alot of knock off sabatier blades about...and some of the newer ones are carp ............

16 minutes ago, ehb102 said:

Hello, ok , what model is it ? There is a shop in Oxford that sells all things made in Japan , from garden tools to cooking utensils , that one may just have a Swedish made blade, ? 

10 minutes ago, ditchman said:

a good place to hang out for knives is auction sales ..look in the house clearance areas.......found several proper original sabatier knives over the years.....there are alot of knock off sabatier blades about...and some of the newer ones are carp ............

Agreed; I have a small collection of 'original' Sabatiers, some of which belonged to my parents, so maybe 40+ years old.  They are excellent.  However, I looked at getting another and it was (as you say) carp.  I did 'look into it' and there are several 'Sabatiers':  M Sabatier, Maxim Sabatier, V Sabatier, K Sabatier and others.  Some of the good ones have a 'Lion' trademark.  One of the old ones is carbon steel, the others are stainless.