duck tubes

Evening

We put ours up March

'

Ducks start nesting April

We use fresh straw - Make sure they are wide / open enough for the ducks to get in and place them across the prevailing wind

We put circa 25 up - on various ponds and perhaps half were used this year - dont worry if they are not as they will be used as look out posts later in the year

I would suggest you dont put them too close as mallard are very territorial and will kill each other broods

16 minutes ago, jall25 said:

Evening

We put ours up March

'

Ducks start nesting April

We use fresh straw - Make sure they are wide / open enough for the ducks to get in and place them across the prevailing wind

We put circa 25 up - on various ponds and perhaps half were used this year - dont worry if they are not as they will be used as look out posts later in the year

I would suggest you dont put them too close as mallard are very territorial and will kill each other broods

We put up 3 on our shoot last year and none were used first year. 

Mallards laid but looked like magpies raised their nests and got the eggs. 

Will top up the straw and hopefully they get used this year. 

The corvids need a serious bashing!! 

• 5 weeks later...
On 21/02/2022 at 15:18, Walker570 said:

I have some big plastic drums, how big is too big for this job?  They are about20 to 22 inches across.

That's more of an elephant tunnel than a duck tube 😄

I think your trouble would be making it so the nesting material stayed in place, the wind will just blow it out.  Plus it won't look too pretty....

I used the available material I had to hand, which was 1" gauge chicken wire.  It's not the best because it's too squashy - the tubes end up flattening so I'd definitely recommend going for weldmesh as per the way they do it on the video.

Hah!  I thought they would be too big BUT I do have plenty of wire. I will have a go.  I only have one or two pairs come in to my two ponds but they do so annually and have raised broods succesfully just thought this might give them a bit more protection.  Whacking the carrion crows is the main thing as they will clear a brood in an hour.

• 1 month later...
On 17/01/2022 at 17:34, patrickstar said:

any advice welcome on when to put them up on small inland flight pond and any advice on making them please

Hello mate the tubes only work after 2 _3 years however we bought some ducklings and put a few tubes on the floor in the pen  the following season we had them around the pond and we found egg shells in a few off them also ducks unlimited website has a few vids

5 hours ago, blankfirer said:

Hello mate the tubes only work after 2 _3 years however we bought some ducklings and put a few tubes on the floor in the pen  the following season we had them around the pond and we found egg shells in a few off them also ducks unlimited website has a few vids

Ours are working the first year 

3 minutes ago, blankfirer said:

That's really good a lot of wild birds are wary of the structures well done

Yes we have had 

mallard

mandarin

Moorhen

Robin 

Blackbird

A few are unused but maybe later in the year

Just now, jall25 said:

Yes we have had