Instant boiling water tap

elgreco

Not sure on the new 4-in-1 taps, but we installed a Caple 3-in-1 tap into my mums house when it was renovated 10 years ago it's been great. Still working well with minimal maintenance to date (touch wood).

No one has hurt themselves so far, but I agree if you have little ones (and their friends) using it unsupervised then I might be cautious about it as the water comes out boiling after a second or two max.

I strongly suggest you look into the ongoing maintenance costs of such systems, with regards to filter changes and the regularity in which this needs carrying out.

There is also the amount of cupboard space these systems require and the frequency of having to empty and refill the cupboards after maintenance of the various filters.

In most cases, after a very short period of time, they turn out to be a very expensive and unused novelty.

50 minutes ago, old man said:

Mm, not for a family house with kids maybe?

Too much like get wrong get a scald for me personally?

The boiling water tap is protected, child resistant function, so I would install one with no concerns.

If they are big enough to learn to use the tap they are old enough to understand the issue.

/M

Got a qooker. It’s great for all jobs. Only the hot water aa the tank for filtered and sparking is expensive and big. 

Note - Northumberland’s water doesn’t need filtering and sparkling bottles are dead cheap at home bargains and bookers. Of course, there is always a sodastream for £90 new. 

For safety - take a little getting used to and you need 2 hands. One holding the cup and one on the tap. 

Edited by markm

3 hours ago, old man said:

There quite tricky to use, I doubt a young kid could manage it, took me a few goes.

My sister has one and we're getting one, because the boss wants one, apparently the way it delivers the water means you can pass your hand through it.

Cheaper to run than a kettle they tell you(women) but £60 a year on filters!!

3 hours ago, old man said:

There quite tricky to use, I doubt a young kid could manage it, took me a few goes.

My sister has one and we're getting one, because the boss wants one, apparently the way it delivers the water means you can pass your hand through it.

Cheaper to run than a kettle they tell you(women) but £60 a year on filters!!

If the wife wants one and you get peace / brownie points then just get one for those reasons alone.

I know they are all the vogue but years experience of using water softeners, filters, kettles and coffee machines (replacement, maintenance, servicing and descaling etc) I have come to the conclusion that you can’t beat the simplicity and disposability of a cheap replacement appliance.

I bought an outrageously priced NEF kettle for work and even filled out the warranty card - of course the thing self destructed about 4 days out of warranty. We now go Amazon, £20 5* reviews, delivered next day and with the first sniff of it not being happy or even scaling up and it’s in the bin and we get another. 

I went mad a few years back and bought a top of the range Samsung tumble dryer that had more tech than the luna lander - it was £800 and I justified that because it came with an 8 year warranty and was supposed to be eco efficient. Utter piece of junk. So dreadful I couldn’t begin to know where to start with the list of just how truly **** it was.

Samsung tried to renege on the warranty and so I sued them. I’ve never bought a Samsung anything else ever since and our current tumble dryer is bottom of the range Bosch with as few buttons as possible and when it breaks (probably a week out of warranty) we will just bin it and get the same again. I digress. Anyhoos there’s no point buying any expensive consumer appliance or tech - the tech moves on and they’re out of date as soon as they leave the factory and they engineer them like racing cars that blow up if required to do a single more lap beyond qualifying and the race itself.

Our clients are always sold these by the swanky kitchen companies but I despise them as they are fugly and unnecessary IMO. Having said that kettles are fugly but I’m not a kitchen man. Just 5 mins ago accidentally grilled a pizza in the oven rather than roasted it as my wife is out and I’ve been left to fend for myself. Send help. 

1 minute ago, WalkedUp said:

Our clients are always sold these by the swanky kitchen companies but I despise them as they are fugly and unnecessary IMO. Having said that kettles are fugly but I’m not a kitchen man. Just 5 mins ago accidentally grilled a pizza in the oven rather than roasted it as my wife is out and I’ve been left to fend for myself. Send help. 

Hahahahaha that made me laugh 

10 minutes ago, Bigbob said:

Seen them advertised on the telly but the small print says cartridge needs replaced every 60 litres that doesn't sound a lot 

That's about once a month for tea and coffee for two people (4 cups per person per day).  If you use it for cooking water, you will need to replace (much) more often.

I have a Breville that heats a cup  of water. I can vary the volume on a top dial. Its main advantages is it only heats the water you need and you don't have to lift it like a kettle which is great when my hands are bad. I fill the Breville with a jug from the filter tap.  The filter tap is at the side of the sink which has a cartridge which needs changing every six months.

61YpdiMqBRL._AC_SL1342_.jpg

Edited by loriusgarrulus

12 hours ago, Mungler said:

If the wife wants one and you get peace / brownie points then just get one for those reasons alone.

I know they are all the vogue but years experience of using water softeners, filters, kettles and coffee machines (replacement, maintenance, servicing and descaling etc) I have come to the conclusion that you can’t beat the simplicity and disposability of a cheap replacement appliance.

I bought an outrageously priced NEF kettle for work and even filled out the warranty card - of course the thing self destructed about 4 days out of warranty. We now go Amazon, £20 5* reviews, delivered next day and with the first sniff of it not being happy or even scaling up and it’s in the bin and we get another. 

I went mad a few years back and bought a top of the range Samsung tumble dryer that had more tech than the luna lander - it was £800 and I justified that because it came with an 8 year warranty and was supposed to be eco efficient. Utter piece of junk. So dreadful I couldn’t begin to know where to start with the list of just how truly **** it was.

Samsung tried to renege on the warranty and so I sued them. I’ve never bought a Samsung anything else ever since and our current tumble dryer is bottom of the range Bosch with as few buttons as possible and when it breaks (probably a week out of warranty) we will just bin it and get the same again. I digress. Anyhoos there’s no point buying any expensive consumer appliance or tech - the tech moves on and they’re out of date as soon as they leave the factory and they engineer them like racing cars that blow up if required to do a single more lap beyond qualifying and the race itself.

We stopped buying decent kettles about five years ago . Her good self bought a cheap £6.00 kettle from asda , and just takes it back and they swap it for a new one when it breaks (about every three months) .

11 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

Their are ways around your kitchen issues . I got lin to set the cooker for me before she left the house this morning,  so that all I have to do at lunchtime ,  is switch it on , and put my lunchtime trout inside for 15 minutes , then switch it off again .  Its a tried and tested system that works very well 👍.

We put an extension on the house and got the Quooker boiling water tap.

I'm a fussy tea drinker and was hesitant but it's absolutely fantastic, it's one of those things (like my Muck boots) that if they broke I'd go straight out and buy the same thing again.

We're in Edinburgh so no problems with limescale etc. I'm not sure about cold filtered/ sparkling versions, sounds like too much to go wrong.

[Edit]I forgot to say I do much of our cooking and it's not just for tea/ coffee, I can have a pot of vegetables steaming in ~ 30 seconds.[/Edit]

Edited by Nial