BOXT

DUNKS

4 hours ago, old man said:

That is until the boiler police come in and rip it out as part of our new future?

Really?

"The UK government has now confirmed that boilers will be banned from new builds by 2025, and new boilers will no longer be for sale by 2035."

Not the same thing really?

11 hours ago, henry d said:

Really?

"The UK government has now confirmed that boilers will be banned from new builds by 2025, and new boilers will no longer be for sale by 2035."

Not the same thing really?

It is to me henry, we are embarked on an impossible to achieve delusion where totally impossible timescales have been declared in the pursuit of political self aggrandisement. No account has been taken about the financial penalties ordinary people will have to bear due to this idiocy, this being our political way?

We are supposedly having electric cars, Can't wait to see the pavements in inner cities festooned with trip hazards and cables stolen as installed?

The proposed solution to our heating needs according to a government advisor, heat pumps? They simply don't work in this climate anyway as temperature differential not enough? Where are they going to be located in inner cities, scrapyards eventually when a few friends have gained financially from being tipped off where to invest?

Most of the developing world must be splitting its sides over our decisions, sitting as we do on millions of tons of dirty coal we can't use. They won't stop producing or using theirs just because of the opinion of an indoctrinated teen and a few others intent on 5 minutes of fame?

I acknowledge to being a grumpy old *** but hopefully know bull dung from lettuce?  To assume that the evolution of the world climate can be changed by the elimination of a few items in this piddling little country is beyond farcical IMHO. 😃 We most certainly are not in this together?

This situation would be comical if not so serious to our future well being but hey ho, we are where we are?

Heat pumps - 1 unit in - 3 units out - estimated cost to retrofit to a home - £12-25000 - I bet the lower figure is for a 2 bed house or maybe a flat. You need to replace your radiators with bigger ones because of the lower flow, and possibly pipes as well to increase the bore size, along with walls etc where they have been run in. Ideally you would have underfloor heating fitted meaning all of your ground floor ripping out to retrofit it.

Heat pump should be run 24 hours a day - big electric bills. They also have heaters within them to make up the shortfall - lots of requirements to fit them - awkward to get installation right - Roger Bixby has done a few video's on it - you could also view heat geeks who try to counter it

Ideal scenario

Solar panels fitted - Circa £5k - Runs the heat pump during the day, excess stored in batteries (car not there in the day)

Solar evacuated tubes - no idea - to heat water and supplement heat pump water temperature

Heat pump - £12k to 25K

Batteries - from £6k upwards depending on your needs (to cover our house as it stands with electric usage and still having a gas boiler - £18k)

Electric vehicle with V2G (Vehicle to Grid - which isn't available yet) - £30k (basic) Octopus Go Tariff used to charge off-peak - but you can bet your bottom dollar that this will disappear when there are more doing it

Ancillary works - £10k

So lets say £65k but could be up to £90K

There is a grant available with several thousand paid over 7 years if you have a heat pump fitted - only the well off can afford to have it fitted - benefiting from taxpayers money - and there is only enough money to cover 90,000 houses 

Rant Over 😞

19 minutes ago, discobob said:

Heat pumps - 1 unit in - 3 units out - estimated cost to retrofit to a home - £12-25000 - I bet the lower figure is for a 2 bed house or maybe a flat. You need to replace your radiators with bigger ones because of the lower flow, and possibly pipes as well to increase the bore size, along with walls etc where they have been run in. Ideally you would have underfloor heating fitted meaning all of your ground floor ripping out to retrofit it.

Heat pump should be run 24 hours a day - big electric bills. They also have heaters within them to make up the shortfall - lots of requirements to fit them - awkward to get installation right - Roger Bixby has done a few video's on it - you could also view heat geeks who try to counter it

Ideal scenario

Solar panels fitted - Circa £5k - Runs the heat pump during the day, excess stored in batteries (car not there in the day)

Solar evacuated tubes - no idea - to heat water and supplement heat pump water temperature

Heat pump - £12k to 25K

Batteries - from £6k upwards depending on your needs (to cover our house as it stands with electric usage and still having a gas boiler - £18k)

Electric vehicle with V2G (Vehicle to Grid - which isn't available yet) - £30k (basic) Octopus Go Tariff used to charge off-peak - but you can bet your bottom dollar that this will disappear when there are more doing it

Ancillary works - £10k

So lets say £65k but could be up to £90K

There is a grant available with several thousand paid over 7 years if you have a heat pump fitted - only the well off can afford to have it fitted - benefiting from taxpayers money - and there is only enough money to cover 90,000 houses 

Rant Over 😞

Well maybe there you have it?

The asylum is at bursting point and the community is overrun again?

Good job we Brits are a resilient lot? 🙃

1 hour ago, Dave-G said:

Lets not forget that we won't need much indoor heating because global warming is allegedly so rampant. 🙂

Now now, the preferred term is "climate change" as that covers all eventualities 😝

To answer the original question I had my boiler installed by Boxt a couple of years ago based on recommendations on this forum.
I also signed up for their servicing plan.
No complaints though I've been since advised there are better options than the Bosch Worcester models they favour.

2 hours ago, serrac said:

Now now, the preferred term is "climate change" as that covers all eventualities 😝

To answer the original question I had my boiler installed by Boxt a couple of years ago based on recommendations on this forum.
I also signed up for their servicing plan.
No complaints though I've been since advised there are better options than the Bosch Worcester models they favour.

Maybe a bit like computers, by the time you get one the technology is outdated? 

Hydrogen may be the new fuel?

3 hours ago, old man said:

Maybe a bit like computers, by the time you get one the technology is outdated? 

Hydrogen may be the new fuel?

One has to wonder how far and fast the technology of burning gas can advance.

From what I've been told the problem with Worcester Bosch is they are trading on their reputation and cutting corners - using plastics where they used to use more durable materials.

Hydrogen is an energy storage/transport system rather than a source of energy and converting energy to hydrogen then heat incurs an efficiency penalty.

13 hours ago, serrac said:

From what I've been told the problem with Worcester Bosch is they are trading on their reputation and cutting corners - using plastics where they used to use more durable materials.

Hydrogen is an energy storage/transport system rather than a source of energy and converting energy to hydrogen then heat incurs an efficiency penalty.

Thank you but being an old Luddite not sure of your last paragraph really?

13 hours ago, serrac said:

3 minutes ago, old man said:

You have to use a lot of energy to make the hydrogen, then when releasing the energy to create heat you have a less efficient set up.

2 minutes ago, old man said:

To create Hydrogen by electrolysis (which is the cleanest way) takes a lot of electricity with current technology - there is another way which is using "reformed steam" (??) but isn't green but it can be a by-product of existing (non-green) processes which in some ways would make it (hydrogen generation) more green as you aren't using more energy!!!!

My head is spinning now - I need a lie down!!

On 19/01/2022 at 08:48, old man said:

It is to me henry, we are embarked on an impossible to achieve delusion where totally impossible timescales have been declared in the pursuit of political self aggrandisement. No account has been taken about the financial penalties ordinary people will have to bear due to this idiocy, this being our political way?

We are supposedly having electric cars, Can't wait to see the pavements in inner cities festooned with trip hazards and cables stolen as installed?

The proposed solution to our heating needs according to a government advisor, heat pumps? They simply don't work in this climate anyway as temperature differential not enough? Where are they going to be located in inner cities, scrapyards eventually when a few friends have gained financially from being tipped off where to invest?

Most of the developing world must be splitting its sides over our decisions, sitting as we do on millions of tons of dirty coal we can't use. They won't stop producing or using theirs just because of the opinion of an indoctrinated teen and a few others intent on 5 minutes of fame?

I acknowledge to being a grumpy old *** but hopefully know bull dung from lettuce?  To assume that the evolution of the world climate can be changed by the elimination of a few items in this piddling little country is beyond farcical IMHO. 😃 We most certainly are not in this together?

This situation would be comical if not so serious to our future well being but hey ho, we are where we are?

Hello, Excellent post, from another grumpy 👍

3 minutes ago, DUNKS said:

Sorry I asked! You guys do go on so.

DUNKS. Always happy to continue the confusion.

14 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, Excellent post, from another grumpy 👍

Well, being of a certain age like a few I get heartily sick of the currently espoused nonsensical trash?

They wouldn't survive for 5 minutes without someone to wipe their futtocks?

6 minutes ago, old man said:

DUNKS. Always happy to continue the confusion.

Well, being of a certain age like a few I get heartily sick of the currently espoused nonsensical trash?

They wouldn't survive for 5 minutes without someone to wipe their futtocks?

Hello, have to agree, although my younger son of mid 40s seems as fed up with what's going on in UK, although has no interest in politics as to busy keeping 5 in work, 

7 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, have to agree, although my younger son of mid 40s seems as fed up with what's going on in UK, although has no interest in politics as to busy keeping 5 in work, 

All part of the scheme opp. keep the plebs in a state of confusion created by uncertainty? Smoke and mirrors?

16 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, yes Plebs seems to be the ideal word of what I have seen Conservative governments think of most of the population of the UK, 

We have become beasts of burden good for very little in the political scheme?

I thin it was rookandrabbit who commented about the choices people made at election being based solely on which party would do less damage to them personally?