Called Back to the same Farm

pigeon controller

I was recalled out to the farm I shot last Thursday for 48 pigeons as the farmer had still seen a good number on his rape. I was told it was shot on Saturday for 15 birds which did not instil me with any confidence but I had a plan. When I arrived at the farm the field I shot last week had about 100 birds in the trees and a few feeding so I then drove to the other section of rape which had about 25 in the trees. Now last week I shot from the midway along the hedge but the wind today was blowing the length of the field so I decided to walk the full length and my plan was to take two lofters to place in the tree above me as the birds seemed to want sitting birds to attracted them. Even with my wheel barrow this took two trips, I set up with the full set two flappers , magnet and 8 real birds on cradles.

I was all set up for 10.00, at 11.30 nothing had returned so I drove to the other field an they were down at the far end. So up sticks and move. I was all set up for 13.00. This field is known as  “The Long Field” and I was not going to walk the full length to where the birds were dropping in.

I put a shot up and there were birds still down feeding and had not been disturbed by me setting up. The only lower sections of rape were a good way out from the edge so my pattern was a good thirty to forty yards out, which made for good shooting but it did mean that you had to mark each dropped bird as you shot them, at the end of the day I only lost two. The first hour was the most productive as it tailed off but they were cutting the hedge at the far end of the field which sent me a few more birds. It was all over by 15.30 and I packed up picking 42 birds.

I asked where the other shooter had shot on Saturday and it was the field I shot on Thursday  and first thing in the morning , if I had not moved I too would have had a similar number. No doubt I will get another call so I will have to formulate another cunning plan!!!

100_3551.JPG

You are getting very consistent P C , mid forties on most of your sessions and most of them after re setting up , I admire you for not sitting it out and hope things will improve , always hard when Pigeons have got a choice , and with you thinking like a Pigeon , you have also got a choice of plans .

THANKS for posting