ATV Accident

wymberley

Jesus that bridge, if correct, is not a vehicular crossing. Even unladen. I’m a feckless risk taker at the best of times, but that is not a vehicle crossing. 

13 minutes ago, Scully said:

I haven’t commented on this as I’m not aware of the exact circumstances of the accident, but have just seen a photo’ of the man who was killed, on the BBC’s Look North regional news programme, and realised with great shock that I know him.
His name is Brian, and he lived less than five miles from me at Edenhall. He was a regular in the beaters trailer, along with his two gorgeous cockers, on the BIG shoot. 
I was just talking to him last Saturday, as I often would, as he was simply a very very nice gentle man, liked by all, who loved his dogs and the craic on the shoot. 
I’d like to say I was privileged to know him. He will be missed, and I’m saddened by the fact I won’t see him again, to share the craic and his ready laugh. 
A sad day. 

Very sad loss. 

52 minutes ago, Mice! said:

I saw the bridge on the news this morning,  you can bet they've been over it dozens of times every season

A terrible accident waiting to happen.

Corrected. 

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, Scully said:

I haven’t commented on this as I’m not aware of the exact circumstances of the accident, but have just seen a photo’ of the man who was killed, on the BBC’s Look North regional news programme, and realised with great shock that I know him.
His name is Brian, and he lived less than five miles from me at Edenhall. He was a regular in the beaters trailer, along with his two gorgeous cockers, on the BIG shoot. 
I was just talking to him last Saturday, as I often would, as he was simply a very very nice gentle man, liked by all, who loved his dogs and the craic on the shoot. 
I’d like to say I was privileged to know him. He will be missed, and I’m saddened by the fact I won’t see him again, to share the craic and his ready laugh. 
A sad day. 

A sad day indeed and a warm tribute you paid to one of our band of brothers , although we get a small payment we mainly go for a day out amongst like mined people and the craic is often priceless , we were out today rough shooting with three Dutch gentlemen and the weather was often wet with a cold wind , we have been out in this type of weather many , many times and if it wasn't for the good natured craic from the few of us who have known each other for more years than I care to remember it would have been a miserable day to be out , whereas we all had an enjoyable day and roll on our next day . 

As for the accident itself , we can only go by what we see and to be honest that bridge look only suitable for walking over only and at best the A T V with a empty trailer, health and safety will be asking some serious questions and it could have a impact up and down the country on gun buses and beaters trailers as many have to cross or use public roads and is the drivers insured to carry fare paying passengers ? , might well be worth looking into:hmm: 

36 minutes ago, marsh man said:

A sad day indeed and a warm tribute you paid to one of our band of brothers , although we get a small payment we mainly go for a day out amongst like mined people and the craic is often priceless , we were out today rough shooting with three Dutch gentlemen and the weather was often wet with a cold wind , we have been out in this type of weather many , many times and if it wasn't for the good natured craic from the few of us who have known each other for more years than I care to remember it would have been a miserable day to be out , whereas we all had an enjoyable day and roll on our next day . 

As for the accident itself , we can only go by what we see and to be honest that bridge look only suitable for walking over only and at best the A T V with a empty trailer, health and safety will be asking some serious questions and it could have a impact up and down the country on gun buses and beaters trailers as many have to cross or use public roads and is the drivers insured to carry fare paying passengers ? , might well be worth looking into 

Yes, a tragic end to what should have been a great day. I’m sure there will be an enquiry. I hope the insurance was in place. Money can’t bring him back unfortunately. A lesson for us all.

8 minutes ago, Fisheruk said:

Yes, a tragic end to what should have been a great day. I’m sure there will be an enquiry. I hope the insurance was in place. Money can’t bring him back unfortunately. A lesson for us all.

I suspect HSE will be all over it and I am sure it could affect a lot of shoots in the future, especially with regards to shoot transportation.  I can recall an  incident that occurred with a shoot trailer being involved in an RTC several years ago. HSE visited all of the shoots in the area and their transport had to be altered/adapted to their spec.

1 hour ago, marsh man said:

As for the accident itself , we can only go by what we see and to be honest that bridge look only suitable for walking over only and at best the A T V with a empty trailer, health and safety will be asking some serious questions and it could have a impact up and down the country on gun buses and beaters trailers as many have to cross or use public roads and is the drivers insured to carry fare paying passengers ? , might well be worth looking into 

I had logged in to say the same ! But you have certainly expressed it in a better way than I would be able.

It’s the like minded foke that make the a good excellent- Weather and views next. Adding something to the bag I am upset if I don’t - 

Regards Agriv8 

12 minutes ago, Weihrauch17 said:

A tragic accident unfortunately waiting to happen looking at the bridge. Thoughts are with the family.

But that article annoys me as they emphasize the cost of the day rather than the fact someone has lost their life.

9 hours ago, Weihrauch17 said:

The first thing I thought when I saw the bridge was negligence but didn't want to post, I assume someone must have done a risk assessment.  Very sad but very avoidable.

I too held back for the same reasons.

risk assessments for shooting I would suspect if completed centre around people guns and live ammo ! the getting of those to and from the drives I suspect is going to come under close scrutiny from Hse. Insurance and underwriters.

In hindsight I am sure we would all make a different decision after ‘the event’ but at the end of that particular day it didn’t end in a ‘beer in the pub round the fire’ and that’s a truly sad ending !

Agriv8

11 hours ago, ShootingEgg said:

A tragic accident unfortunately waiting to happen looking at the bridge. Thoughts are with the family.

But that article annoys me as they emphasize the cost of the day rather than the fact someone has lost their life.

Sadly the press will always look for something sensational and divisive?

2 hours ago, Rim Fire said:

There will be a lot of other shoots looking at there transportation and routs around the shoot and will the liability insurance cover it 

I know it sounds bad and its not about it but it will be looked at 

I couldn't agree with you more Rim Fire , transport for both guns and beaters is an important part of the shoot that is often taken for granted and dare I say overlooked .

Up until three years ago I had spent just over 10 years driving the guns and looking after there needs with some seasons having over 30 shoots , we had , and still have a ex army lorry that is covered with a purpose made canvas cover with leather seats down the middle that can hold sixteen people sitting back to back , one major problem was when we first bought it was the air brakes , these were a night mare , if you touched the brakes they would loose air and it was like a delayed action when you stopped , I reported it as it was to me dangerous to drive and a worry when you were on public roads , the estate manager got a repair company to sort it out and two blokes took close on two days to sort the loss of air and renewing the brake pipes out .

We then had to put in a map of the estate with a map reference so if we had a accident or needed help we could give details from the map of our location , we also installed a cordless alarm bell so I could be contacted if need be , on top of that the door at the back had a safety rail that had to be in place when the door was open .

In the ten years or so when I was driving ( touch wood ) we never had one accident , or got stuck as that lorry would climb up a mountain and cross a river if it was asked to .

I think the guns and guests felt a bit more relaxed with these safety devices installed , the next question is , should I had been driving it on a full ( un blemished ) car licence ? , foot note , I was employed by the estate at the time .:hmm:  MM

8 hours ago, Agriv8 said:

risk assessments for shooting I would suspect if completed centre around people guns and live ammo ! the getting of those to and from the drives I suspect is going to come under close scrutiny from Hse. Insurance and underwriters.

I doubt there is a shoot anywhere that does regular risk assessments,  probably a once a year thing for the insurance. 

The bridge could have been damaged the day before by something going down the river,  I'm sure the bridge will be questioned.

It's a terrible accident and people will feel responsible. 

On 21/01/2022 at 16:11, Mice! said:

The bridge could have been damaged the day before by something going down the river,  I'm sure the bridge will be questioned.

Good point - any inspection is only a snapshot at that moment and an assumption that nothing much then changes. It could even have been malicious sabotage.

On 21/01/2022 at 16:11, Mice! said:

I doubt there is a shoot anywhere that does regular risk assessments,  probably a once a year thing for the insurance. 

It's a terrible accident and people will feel responsible. 

What like a fallen tree or a narrow boat?

I think the shallow water might have prevented that.

A tragic loss and inevitably it may well have repercussions for those of us that shoot game.

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

What like a fallen tree or a narrow boat?

I think the shallow water might have prevented that.

It was shallow in the picture but could have been raging the previous week, wouldn't have taken much to knock one of those scaffolding poles, quite possibly a tree.

On 20/01/2022 at 21:03, Walker570 said:

I saw the photo in the Telegraph this morning and could not believe a UTV had towed a trailer with eleven men across it.    That is around one and three quarter tons in old money across basically a foot bridge at best.    Going to be a lot of repercusions for sure. 

look at that weight and then look at the bridge..............im a risk taker....but that would be out of my league