ATV Accident

wymberley

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Dave-G said:

I don't think there's been any major rainfall.

We have a gentle little stream in our woodland , I often get in it to wash at the end of a sweaty day on the chainsaw , but , it can often rain higher up the mountain , and the gentle little stream , turns into a raging torrent,  that would wash a car away . You can sometimes hear the huge boulders being rolled along when it's raging.

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

look at that weight and then look at the bridge..............im a risk taker....but that would be out of my league

I'm with you on that one . I've always been one to push my luck , but that bridge would give me jelly legs.

24 minutes ago, JDog said:

It is easy to be wise after the event but if I had ever been near that bridge I would have insisted that it would be one person at a time.

I agree with it being wise after the event , mind you , even if the bridge was in tip top condition it didn't look suitable to tow a trailer across loaded up people , this will be looked into as the main enquiry with the health and safety , so time will tell

As for risk assessment , where do you start and finish ? , and who carry it out ?, on a daily , weekly or monthly basis ?

To cancel a days shooting due to bad weather is nearly unheard of this day and age , where do you draw a line with Fog , Snow , Ice and gale force winds ?

We have had to change planned drives at times due to very strong winds with the risk of fallen branches in the woods .

The last time a shoot was cancelled ( mid day ) was through fog , and this was because the guns couldn't see there next door neighbour's on the pegs , or the birds . Snow and ice , I can never remember a day cancelled .

No doubt some recommendations will come out of the enquiry and this alone could alter how shoots are run in the coming years

We had a whip round for Brian prior to beating yesterday. 
It was quite sad on one drive as I asked someone else to beat the route usually taken by him. He will be missed. 
One of the beaters was telling me he had a lucky escape as he was meant to be beating there on the same day as the accident, but couldn’t make it for whatever reason. 

2 hours ago, Scully said:

We had a whip round for Brian prior to beating yesterday. 
It was quite sad on one drive as I asked someone else to beat the route usually taken by him. He will be missed. 
One of the beaters was telling me he had a lucky escape as he was meant to be beating there on the same day as the accident, but couldn’t make it for whatever reason. 

Always sad when one of the long term members pass away or call it a day when it all become to hard , worse still is when a member have lost his life due to a accident on a place where he have no doubt spent many happy years and the end of another season only a matter of days away .

Sad times indeed .

1 minute ago, marsh man said:

Always sad when one of the long term members pass away or call it a day when it all become to hard , worse still is when a member have lost his life due to a accident on a place where he have no doubt spent many happy years and the end of another season only a matter of days away .

Sad times indeed .

Indeed. 

On 27/01/2022 at 14:01, Scully said:

Indeed. 

Noticed it was in this weeks Shooting Times and I am not sure if it said they had charged three chaps with manslaughter , if this was the case and the three men were into shooting either with shotgun or rifle, would they had lost there tickets until the court case was over ?

36 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Noticed it was in this weeks Shooting Times and I am not sure if it said they had charged three chaps with manslaughter , if this was the case and the three men were into shooting either with shotgun or rifle, would they had lost there tickets until the court case was over ?

Yes, it was. And yes, three have been charged with manslaughter. Regarding the loss of tickets, I have no idea to be honest, prior to the trial, but if found guilty I’m led to believe the minimum is a six year sentence with a maximum of twelve. So if found guilty then yes, tickets are history, along with job and any income to boot. 
I would think there will be many a shoot nationwide reconsidering some of their ‘yeah, that’ll do’ policies. 
Talking to one of the beaters from that shoot today, their only defence ( we agreed neither of us could realistically see how it can be classed as such ) is that the bridge was already in place before they took over the shoot. 🤷‍♂️
It obviously wasn’t included in any shoot insurance scheme as who in their right mind would deem that as an acceptable insurance risk? 
Anyhow, time will tell. 

1 hour ago, Scully said:

Yes, it was. And yes, three have been charged with manslaughter. Regarding the loss of tickets, I have no idea to be honest, prior to the trial, but if found guilty I’m led to believe the minimum is a six year sentence with a maximum of twelve. So if found guilty then yes, tickets are history, along with job and any income to boot. 
I would think there will be many a shoot nationwide reconsidering some of their ‘yeah, that’ll do’ policies. 
Talking to one of the beaters from that shoot today, their only defence ( we agreed neither of us could realistically see how it can be classed as such ) is that the bridge was already in place before they took over the shoot. 🤷‍♂️
It obviously wasn’t included in any shoot insurance scheme as who in their right mind would deem that as an acceptable insurance risk? 
Anyhow, time will tell. 

Have they already been charged with it scully, or just arrested on suspicion?.  If they've already been charged it looks pretty grim for them.

7 minutes ago, Scully said:

I was told they’d been charged Mel,  but didn’t query it, just going off what I was told. 

Without quoting names Scully , what position would these three people hold regarding the shoot ?

As you say it could create several problems , we all try to be as safe as possible but as we all know accidents do happen from time to time and luckily with no injuries , I can well remember a long time ago we were coming down the farm track with the beaters trailer full and being towed by the estates tractor when all of a sudden the tow bar snapped and we all shot forward when the trailer hit the ground and we came to a full stop , no one was hurt but things might have been different if it had been on the road , if the worst had happened and somebody did get hurt , or worst still had died who would have been at fault ? , the driver ? , the fitter who maintain the farm motors ? , the keeper who say load up or the land owner ?

On a lot of shoots both big and small the transport is lent out by one of the guns or helpers , on the last shoot I was on I drove the beaters about in a Ford Transit truck that was covered with a canvas tilt , this was used daily to transport the workers from site to site , it was well maintained and we didn't have any problems , but carrying sometimes 12 / 14 people in the back and driving on a main road can lead to all sorts of problems if you had a minor accident , a major accident , I wouldn't dare think about it .

12 hours ago, mel b3 said:

Have they already been charged with it scully, or just arrested on suspicion?.  If they've already been charged it looks pretty grim for them.

It was on the Northwest news last week that three people had been charged and released,  no doubt following procedures. 

3 hours ago, Mice! said:

It was on the Northwest news last week that three people had been charged and released,  no doubt following procedures. 

It usually takes quite a while to investigate before charges are brought , it can't be a good sign if they've been charged so quickly . It's a very great shame for all concerned,  and as has already been mentioned,  it may have unfortunate repercussions for many other shoots , or farms in general.