Missed the chance of a treble............

JDog

In 20 mph winds I set up to shoot a few pigeons this morning on rape fields which have proved difficult to shoot of late. In the first hour I shot 18 pigeons then I never saw another pigeon for the next half an hour so I packed up. 

What I did see was a Carrion crow heading towards me and that was shot. Then I heard the machine gun rattle of Magpies and I saw them 100m away playing on the wind. There were three of them. They came closer then drifted on the wind, came closer and drifted again before coming close enough for a shot. I shot the furthest one away and missed the other two. That would have been some treble.

Laceby 1.jpg

Laceby 2.jpg

I predicted correctly the timing of the Pigeon treble with your new addition in the gun cabinet , a prediction on the treble for Magpies is a bit more difficult , well you might prove me wrong but I predict you are very unlikely to do the Magpie treble while you are fit enough to swing that ole semi auto about , in other words , I don't think you will ever do it .

I hope you prove me wrong , and like you say , it would be some treble .

18 Pigeons in an hours shooting is still good going , you are building your strength back up nicely , short and sweet sessions is a good tonic :hmm: 

As I’ve previously posted on here, the only time I wished I’d had an FAC semi was on a trio of magpies when I hit two of the three but fluffed the third shot badly but the bird flitted away well within range. On pigeon after 3 shots you are normally clear of birds but magpies are normally much slower to escape. 

But still nice to be out, thanks for sharing. 

On 20/01/2022 at 20:02, WalkedUp said:

As I’ve previously posted on here, the only time I wished I’d had an FAC semi was on a trio of magpies when I hit two of the three but fluffed the third shot badly but the bird flitted away well within range. On pigeon after 3 shots you are normally clear of birds but magpies are normally much slower to escape. 

But still nice to be out, thanks for sharing. 

Was with you that day. Rember it vividly.