Browning 725 DS chokes

HORSCHSHOOTER

Not sure what's going on, but it seems that for any given bore there's a nominal figure for each degree of choke irrespective of whether the gun is back-bored or not. What I have noticed is that Teague no longer does 'DS' chokes, but does '725' for 12 bore - his smaller bore options have disappeared -  whether they were DS or 725 - off the face of the earth. Looks as though I got my DS for the 20 just in time.

I'd go along with everyone else in general, but perhaps as there's very little difference in pellet count downrange between one degree of choke and the next, if you're looking at stretching a little, I'd cheer London Best up and possibly suggest IC by 1/2

I asked the gun shop where I got the gun from a similar question and he said the chokes are fine and not to waste money buying aftermarket one's. 1/4 choke breaks clays perfect on the 120 foot tower and 28g 7s shot me a lovely big cock pheasant and a bit of a ramble round yesterday. 

6 hours ago, vmaxphil said:

The argument I have seen is that skeet is more open than cylinder but 1/4 up seems to be about normal, seeming these chokes have a " magical" profile it's best to pattern with your chosen cartridge 

:good:

Once upon a time when you knew what your barrel bore was and what whichever degree of choke meant, a pattern check was a good idea in order to boost confidence. Now, as there's very little, if any, rhyme or reason out there, it's absolutely essential. I mean, what the devil is 'super' cylinder all about for crying out loud?

1 hour ago, wymberley said:

:good:

Once upon a time when you knew what your barrel bore was and what whichever degree of choke meant, a pattern check was a good idea in order to boost confidence. Now, as there's very little, if any, rhyme or reason out there, it's absolutely essential. I mean, what the devil is 'super' cylinder all about for crying out loud?

Super cylinder could well be to try to get a more open pattern with steel as it’s all but impossible at the moment to achieve 

or a foreign equivalent of skeet 

back in the day the gunmakers would ask your preferred cartridges and then bore and regulate to your requirements 

to the op use 1/4..1/2 I’ve a 725 with ss chokes more than adequate for pheasant if you can hit them 

19 hours ago, Old farrier said:

Super cylinder could well be to try to get a more open pattern with steel as it’s all but impossible at the moment to achieve 

or a foreign equivalent of skeet 

back in the day the gunmakers would ask your preferred cartridges and then bore and regulate to your requirements 

to the op use 1/4..1/2 I’ve a 725 with ss chokes more than adequate for pheasant if you can hit them 

Good point and I think you got it better - 'open' cylinder is more 'us'. Teague goes for -0.005". Although 'stepped', I'm wondering if Mr Teague stepped on Browning's toes with regard to the DS and got his knuckles rapped.

21 minutes ago, Smokersmith said:

Super cylinder is to give more spread on close unpredictable clay targets such as rabbits.

Used by Richard Faulds among others. For these chaps, catching the bottom of a bouncing rabbit can be the difference between winning a British Championship or not.

A la star shot, then.

Most factory Browning and Beretta chokes are 10 thou’ more open at the point where they meet the bore - in other words there is a 10 thou’ ‘step’ from barrel to choke. You can feel it with a finger nail if you poke a finger in the choke end (proven empty gun etc..). As it remains parallel from this point to the muzzle, it is in fact 10 thou’ overbored, therefore more open than true cylinder. 

I have no idea whether this holds true for the Browning DS chokes - it certainly does for the standard 525. I suppose the only way to find out would be to mic’ them…..if your bothered enough. For driven work, as suggested above quarter and half is fine. For me this would be over hilly ground. On flat land I would go cylinder and quarter. 

53 minutes ago, Fellside said:

Most factory Browning and Beretta chokes are 10 thou’ more open at the point where they meet the bore - in other words there is a 10 thou’ ‘step’ from barrel to choke. You can feel it with a finger nail if you poke a finger in the choke end (proven empty gun etc..). As it remains parallel from this point to the muzzle, it is in fact 10 thou’ overbored, therefore more open than true cylinder. 

I have no idea whether this holds true for the Browning DS chokes - it certainly does for the standard 525. I suppose the only way to find out would be to mic’ them…..if your bothered enough. For driven work, as suggested above quarter and half is fine. For me this would be over hilly ground. On flat land I would go cylinder and quarter. 

The step referred to on the DS is on the choke itself - the outer wall. As to whether this is Teague's version of the DS I know not - academic as far as I'm concerned as the chokes will come out for them and the barrels to be cleaned regardless. With nothing better to do, I did as suggested with the Browning choke - 20 bore TC - the ID at the barrel end was 0.646 and at the muzzle, 0.629". Consequently, unless the super bore is some 17 thou' over-bored, one can only assume that like the TC, the super-bore choke will also be tapered.

1 hour ago, wymberley said:

The step referred to on the DS is on the choke itself - the outer wall. As to whether this is Teague's version of the DS I know not - academic as far as I'm concerned as the chokes will come out for them and the barrels to be cleaned regardless. With nothing better to do, I did as suggested with the Browning choke - 20 bore TC - the ID at the barrel end was 0.646 and at the muzzle, 0.629". Consequently, unless the super bore is some 17 thou' over-bored, one can only assume that like the TC, the super-bore choke will also be tapered.

Thanks for that wymberley. It seems the DS cylinder choke isn’t parallel like the standard 525. I think the current generation of fancy long chokes are possibly better engineered…..? 

I do like the old parallel type though. They really spread the pattern well - a true scatter gun approach. My favourite for walked up shooting. 

1 hour ago, Fellside said:

Thanks for that wymberley. It seems the DS cylinder choke isn’t parallel like the standard 525. I think the current generation of fancy long chokes are possibly better engineered…..? 

I do like the old parallel type though. They really spread the pattern well - a true scatter gun approach. My favourite for walked up shooting. 

I'm not too keen on multi chokes, preferring fixed - less hassle - but recently had little option. I've had some once before for a Maxus and got a couple of my choice from Teague and then also had them permanently fit two into a fixed choke gun which was throwing wide. Pleased with their work so ordered 5 from the wider end of things for the 725 which luckily were made to order. Obviously hoping that this paid off for quality as opposed to the 5 bog standard produced ones. Haven't had chance to try them yet really.

7 minutes ago, wymberley said:

I'm not too keen on multi chokes, preferring fixed - less hassle - but recently had little option. I've had some once before for a Maxus and got a couple of my choice from Teague and then also had them permanently fit two into a fixed choke gun which was throwing wide. Pleased with their work so ordered 5 from the wider end of things for the 725 which luckily were made to order. Obviously hoping that this paid off for quality as opposed to the 5 bog standard produced ones. Haven't had chance to try them yet really.

You can’t go wrong with Teague chokes. They’re extremely well made.