Northants renewal

Sprinter

Right the hare is off and running, renewal docs plopped on the mat yesterday, trotted off down the quacks today paid my fee and left my med form to be filled in.

As I can apparently do nothing else until I have my paws on the completed form (form to be attached to online application) I'm sat on my hands....

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I live in Northants too. My wife's SGC expires in February, she completed her forms on line at the end of November, after paying the GP £31.50 and the surgery confirmed they'd emailed her medical report. She received an email from the Firearms Dept a day later to say all paperwork was received and would be dealt with by the expiry date of the existing certificate. 

On 14th December I hand delivered my SGC to the offices of the Firearms Dept as table 2 was completely full and I'm still waiting for a replacement certificate. An email via the police website asking when I'm likely to receive the replacement has gone unanswered. Telephone calls to the Firearms Dept during the months of January and February are not being answered by staff according to an automated message to enable them to deal with the back log of renewals and new applications. 

1 hour ago, Sprinter said:

With Northants it's not possible to submit the application online without a copy of the completed medical declaration attached, hence sitting on my hands.

Really, I downloaded my GP Form as a PDF and attached it to the Renewal Form this afternoon along with details of all the guns, a referee, my photograph and finally the payment.

All in all it took an hour and a half and you cannot go backwards on the form without having to start again!

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Really, I downloaded my GP Form as a PDF and attached it to the Renewal Form this afternoon along with details of all the guns, a referee, my photograph and finally the payment.

All in all it took an hour and a half and you cannot go backwards on the form without having to start again!

So you have attached your completed medical form signed by your doctor?

I've not got mine back yet so I can't attach it?

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/01/2022 at 18:06, PhilR said:

I live in Northants too. My wife's SGC expires in February, she completed her forms on line at the end of November, after paying the GP £31.50 and the surgery confirmed they'd emailed her medical report. She received an email from the Firearms Dept a day later to say all paperwork was received and would be dealt with by the expiry date of the existing certificate. 

On 14th December I hand delivered my SGC to the offices of the Firearms Dept as table 2 was completely full and I'm still waiting for a replacement certificate. An email via the police website asking when I'm likely to receive the replacement has gone unanswered. Telephone calls to the Firearms Dept during the months of January and February are not being answered by staff according to an automated message to enable them to deal with the back log of renewals and new applications. 

Further to the above second paragraph my replacement SGC turned up in the post today, it was signed off on 1st February, so seven weeks for a straight replacement. Included with the certificate was an impersonal note explaining the new certificate is now issued as an A5 booklet format to use less paper and being smaller is more convenient to carry around. Unfortunately they've used 2 sheets of A4 printed landscape with one side of each sheet blank, had they printed it double sided they'd have made a saving of one sheet and more convenient.

If they'd increased the Table 2 size from six rows to fill the empty space below it they'd save themselves extra time and work on issuing replacement certificates during their five year life span. 

49 minutes ago, strudwick said:

I live in Northamptonshire fac and shot gun licence ended mid September. Got paper work well ahead of time.

Unfortunately licence still not arrived. A estimated time would be good If any ones knows.

Surely contacting your licensing authority in order to avoid breaking the law would be a good idea?

They have renewed me on there computers so I am legally its the paper work that is lagging. But as I did 2 variations on my renewal I have 2 guns waiting for me to collect and other stuff to get whitch I need my paper licence. I did speak the the fire arms department in November they told me September licences should be out by end of December but February now so no idea on time scales.

I renewed my FAC/SGC with Leicester Police and I did not submit or have to submit any medical form. I just gave the name of my Practise and normal Dr.  It all went through within the time scale set by the Firearns Office all but a couple of days when I had to send a new photo due to the one I sent not scanning.  I didn't have to shell out for Doctors report etc.  Just my normal renewal payment.   Not wishing to go into the poor policing thing again but just read that book I suggested on the forum which outlines just how the running of the police service has hit rock botom.  Tango Juliet Foxtrot the books heading should make the content clear but I will be banned if I explain further.

• 2 months later...

Nothing heard from Northants police so thought I'd give them a little prod. Apparently they are not taking phone calls to enable the processing of a backlog. According to an automated message if I have submitted a renewal request I am legally covered while the process is in progress......

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/04/2022 at 15:16, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I'm sure he has.

I notice that they've now put the renewal price up to £90!!

8 hours ago, Jim Neal said:

The renewal was £50 when I sent the form in but they haven't banked my cheque yet or acknowledged receipt of the form!

Also heard nothing from Medcert either which I think is a bit disappointing.

Most forces bank the money immediately.