New SxS Shooter - Recommend Me A Cartridge

Hi All

Ive just picked up an AYA Yeoman for a bit of fun and to try a SxS out for a change. I tried it with some Pigeon HV 32g 6’s that I had and it definitely pushed back more than my O/U!

Could anyone recommend a nice cartridge to put through it? Mainly for a bit of walked up pest control type shooting. 

Cheers 

Andy

Hello, you mean recoil , when I had a yeoman it was Eley Impax or grandprix , and cheap imports of that time, if you have tight chokes I would use a clay cartridge, 28g 7.5 , some equate to 7s in UK shot sizes ? I don't see a difference using these for vermin or pigeon , there should be a cartridge  guide on the web for different shot sizes to compare to UK

1 minute ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, you mean recoil , when I had a yeoman it was Eley Impax or grandprix , and cheap imports of that time, if you have tight chokes I would use a clay cartridge, 28g 7.5 , some equate to 7s in UK shot sizes ? I don't see a difference using these for vermin or pigeon , there should be a cartridge  guide on the web for different shot sizes to compare to UK

As OPP says, use a 28 gram 7 or 6 and everything will die just the same.

13 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

I have some Romagnola 7.5s which I think are UK 7s

1 hour ago, Rob85 said:

Lyalvale pigeon power 29g 6s will do everything you need, in fibre wad, lovely smooth cartridge.

I tried a 32g 5 in my yeoman a few years ago and never again, near loosened my fillings

Hello, the Lyvale are not a bad price to for a pigeon cartridge, good call 👍

4 hours ago, Andilicious said:

Hi All

Ive just picked up an AYA Yeoman for a bit of fun and to try a SxS out for a change. I tried it with some Pigeon HV 32g 6’s that I had and it definitely pushed back more than my O/U!

Could anyone recommend a nice cartridge to put through it? Mainly for a bit of walked up pest control type shooting. 

Cheers 

Andy

Presumaby the Yeoman has 2.75 inch chambers; if you want lead shot then it's difficult to beat an ounce of 7's (2.4mm) for your intended use. Empire make a nice 28g 7 load that performs well. 

2 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, your cartridge store must be full by now TT, 🤔😁

Yes, it has got to four stacks now, I have no more room.

I have stacked the game cartridges (RED) away for now and dug out the ones for the wood pigeons.

I was chatting with a fellow gun at a Registered Competition on Sunday about how there are no bad cartridges like there used to be.

I still enjoy beating people with the cheapest shells I can get. Currently RC Romagnolias

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE
Too many no's!

Wow! I'd say that 28 gram will work as will 30 gram which is the old 1 1/16 ounce traditional game load. My own thoughts are that English #7 works well for stuff coming IN to you so that driven, roost shooting or decoying. For stuff that's being shot up the rear...so walked up...on large birds and on pigeon that English #6 works best and is better for rabbits too.

So I say either one ounce of #7 or one ounce of English #6 1/2 (there's a superb clay pigeon load using English 6 1/2 if you can use plastic wads) or one and sixteenth ounce of English #6. Next step up used to be English #5 1 1/8 ounce for duck but not now in England and Wales where lead on wildfowl is forbidden.

3 hours ago, Rob85 said:

Lyalvale pigeon power 29g 6s will do everything you need, in fibre wad, lovely smooth cartridge.

Or this!!

Edited by enfieldspares

Personally the smoothest cartridge I've found is the eley grand prix though if you're shooting walked up vermin probably a bit expensive. I only use them on pheasant as a special treat for myself as they're not cheap but I don't shoot many pheasants so I like a special cartridge and I've found them smooth and with great knockdown 

12 hours ago, Ferret664 said:

Personally the smoothest cartridge I've found is the eley grand prix though if you're shooting walked up vermin probably a bit expensive. I only use them on pheasant as a special treat for myself as they're not cheap but I don't shoot many pheasants so I like a special cartridge and I've found them smooth and with great knockdown 

I use these, and eley impax, both good in sbs.

On 21/01/2022 at 19:13, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, let us know what cartridge you find suitable Andy

Morning all

So yesterday I did a round of 100 with my clay gun and then I took the AYA out for a play using the 28g 7.5 Eley Olympic Blues and I must say it was much nicer in the shoulder with these. 

As the clay ground I most commonly go to and pick cartridges up from is Eley stockist I think I’ll try the Grand Prix first. I don’t shoot lots so the cost isn’t a big consideration at the moment. 

I’m working away all week and next weekend so it’s going to be a while till I get out again now. I will report back when I shoot a few though 👍🏻

1 hour ago, Andilicious said:

Morning all

So yesterday I did a round of 100 with my clay gun and then I took the AYA out for a play using the 28g 7.5 Eley Olympic Blues and I must say it was much nicer in the shoulder with these. 

As the clay ground I most commonly go to and pick cartridges up from is Eley stockist I think I’ll try the Grand Prix first. I don’t shoot lots so the cost isn’t a big consideration at the moment. 

I’m working away all week and next weekend so it’s going to be a while till I get out again now. I will report back when I shoot a few though 👍🏻

Hello, well done 👍