Recommend me a Comb Raiser

Poor Shot

Good Morning PW.

I want to do the unthinkable and raise the comb height on my AYA Yeoman SxS. As much as I appreciate the traditional lines of a SxS gun I just like to see a lot of rib (technically over the rib) on my shotguns. If I have even a slight bit of the action in my sight picture I start to experience eye dominance issues where the left eye takes over. This is less than ideal as you can imagine. 

I've experimented with some temporary comb raising measures as per the frankengun picture below. This seems to work well enough for me having shot a 41 of 50 at the local clay ground last weekend. Though it did generate a lot of odd looks and a bit of ribbing from other shooters. 

IMG_20220121_100404.jpg.05c0870ab3deed72af8b9687792e6f4d.jpg

As I bought this sub £100 gun for rough shooting, pest control etc.. I don't want to go through the expense of having it professionally bent but I am looking at something a little more permanent and more traditional looking than the masking tape and rubber cheek pad I currently have. I've been looking at the  Beartooth comb raising kit which is not too far off what I have now but a bit more adjustable and neater looking but if there is anything a bit more traditional looking or more suited to SxS shotguns then I'm all ears. Many Thanks! 

For two years I used a Spanish SxS for rough shooting with an identical rubber pad glued on. It worked so well I eventually asked a gunmaker to try and raise the stock by half an inch. He raised his eyebrows and said he would try. He succeeded but said the stock might go back down a little. It settled at a 3/8 inch higher than original and still shoots right for me 47 years later.

Looking at the picture, that's a pretty substantial amount of comb raise. Most aftermarket products to raise the comb by that much tend to be of the butt sleeve type with the internal pocket for the raising piece, (such as the beartooth system).

The possible downside of a system like this is that it will raise the comb height but also add thickness to the stock at the point where your cheek sits on the comb, thus affecting the cast.

So as previously said, for a sub £100 shotgun, glue or double sided tape the comb raiser in place and away you go.   

4 minutes ago, Tonka54 said:

Looking at the picture, that's a pretty substantial amount of comb raise. Most aftermarket products to raise the comb by that much tend to be of the butt sleeve type with the internal pocket for the raising piece, (such as the beartooth system).

The possible downside of a system like this is that it will raise the comb height but also add thickness to the stock at the point where your cheek sits on the comb, thus affecting the cast.

So as previously said, for a sub £100 shotgun, glue or double sided tape the comb raiser in place and away you go.   

No, with the beartooth system you can get all the height without moving your cheek across.

1 minute ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

No, with the beartooth system you can get all the height without moving your cheek across.

Oh OK, that's great news , I also have a spare gun that's a little low in the comb for me, I will be getting the Beartooth system for my self then.

Thanks Humperdingle and Tightchoke, I will give the beartooth sleeve a go.. 

Thanks also Wymberley, London Best and Tonka. I do plan on overhauling the stock over the summer as a bit of a project and it would hurt me on the inside to have to glue a lump of rubber to a wooden stock. If I wasn't completely hopeless with a bandsaw I would give a DIY adjustable comb conversion A go.