FEO On the Ball.

bruno22rf

So the phone rings today and it's from the local Firearms licencing dept.

Them, " Hello, is that Mr ****,I'm ringing you concerning your FAC Air variation back in December"

Me, "OK, is there a problem?"

Them, "Yes, it would appear that you have not informed us of the details of the Rifle purchased"

Me, " Which Rifle are we talking about?"

Them, " Air Arms Serial Number ******"

Me, "If I haven't informed you, how do you know the serial number?"

30 Seconds of silence.

Them, "We cant find any email from you in our inbox"

Me, "I have my FAC here with all the details issued by yourselves in December, if I had not informed you, as already mentioned, how do you have the correct number?"

Them, "Mmmm, well if you could send them again it would help us out, in the meantime I am going to have to report this to your local FEO"

Me, "You are going to report me for not giving you the information that you have just given me? Information that can only have come from me, and I have a confirmation email to prove?"

Them, "I'm afraid so".

Phone call half an hour later, my FEO explaining that all is all and that the email has been found, the Numpty that rang me, I am told, "Does not have access to email communications"

Made my day.....

16 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

Them, " Hello, is that Mr ****,I'm ringing you concerning your FAC Air variation back in December"

Them, "Yes, it would appear that you have not informed us of the details of the Rifle purchased"

30 Seconds of silence.

Me, "I have my FAC here with all the details issued by yourselves in December, if I had not informed you, as already mentioned, how do you have the correct number?"

Them, "Mmmm, well if you could send them again it would help us out, in the meantime I am going to have to report this to your local FEO"

Me, "You are going to report me for not giving you the information that you have just given me? Information that can only have come from me, and I have a confirmation email to prove?"

Them, "I'm afraid so".

Phone call half an hour later, my FEO explaining that all is all and that the email has been found, the Numpty that rang me, I am told, "Does not have access to email communications"

Made my day.....

Lol , Well it's a well known fact that MENSA membership is not a prerequisite for joining the Firearms licencing dept. 

I had similar 10 years back. My new feo requested a meeting to discuss my current shotguns and why I had not notified them of any acquisitions and disposals. Prior to that meeting I printed off all the emailed requests and their acknowledgements amounting to 30 odd pages. It was a very short meeting......

Always keep a paper trail, saves a lot of problems.

32 minutes ago, mossy835 said:

some times i wonder if they know, what guns we have.there records must be in a mess.

Funny you should say that, few years back they rang me and asked what had become of the Charles Lancaster SxS that was no longer on my SGC, I have never seen let alone owned such a gun. Upon informing the lady of this she simply said "OK, we'll just deleted that one then"

Makes me wonder how many legitimately held guns are floating about that the police don't know the location of.

What would happen if I sold a firearm which ended up being used in a crime, and the police think I still own it?

The biro scribbles on scraps of paper stapled to SGC's are not a reliable record of sales and purchases. And it sounds like the police files are not any better organised.

17 hours ago, GingerCat said:

Renewal before last the feo said "just the one?" To which I replied no I have 2 and have had for a long time. He mumbled something about it being the 3rd time that day. Last renewal was all in order.

Something very similar my eldest step son was gifted his grandfathers guns (****** me off as I was promised one and I had deal with the paperwork as he just sat there twiddling his thumbs) if he has has used them a dozen times in 6/7 years that be pushing it anyway he only had a licence with no guns on them one late afternoon firearms Bobby rocks up all geared up sidearm etc asking too see the gun my missus said 1 gun  there is 2 and also in my cabinet my area could not even match addresses up would have saved an officer an hrs wait for me to get home he was not a happy bunny and even he put in a complaint against his own firearms dept as he said for time wasting

On 21/01/2022 at 16:19, mossy835 said:

some times i wonder if they know, what guns we have.there records must be in a mess.

My first renewal, they had 3 guns I'd never own on my ticket and one of sold and informed them about.. it is worrying that their systems could hold incorrect information, any of the 4 they had wrong on my license, anything happen with them in an illegal capacity I'd be screwed and have to prove I'd never owned them etc.

Is very worrying things like this can happen.

On 22/01/2022 at 00:21, GingerCat said:

Renewal before last the feo said "just the one?" To which I replied no I have 2 and have had for a long time. He mumbled something about it being the 3rd time that day. Last renewal was all in order.

my renewal came back with a gun missing as well. issue came about due to the online system not talking to the older system apparently. 

Just had exactly the same with my change of address, filled out the online form. 4 weeks later get an email asking me to fill in the attached form for change of address, asked the same questions as the online one? 3 weeks later called them as i still hadn't got my license back, they asked me if i could resend the form id sent in 3 weeks ago🤦‍♂️ . I then asked "you have got my original license that i sent back recorded mail right"? answer, "we should have" scary

Edited by TK421

On 21/01/2022 at 12:03, bruno22rf said:

30 Seconds of silence.

Them, "I'm afraid so".

Made my day.....

If you're in Bucks that's Thames Valley, same as me, they have dropped one or two clangers with me, such as issuing me an AUTOMATIC Shotgun (NOT Semi Auto) and one or two other gems, but that conversation sounds bonkers!

• 2 months later...

UPDATE....received my renewed certificate today, included was a letter confirming my change of address??? A form asks for details of my new security details, it's all been posted to my current address (lived here near 30 years) and their records MUST show this???

1 hour ago, bruno22rf said:

UPDATE....received my renewed certificate today, included was a letter confirming my change of address??? A form asks for details of my new security details, it's all been posted to my current address (lived here near 30 years) and their records MUST show this???

Incompetence at every level.

Scary.

I remember a few years back that i picked up 7 shoguns from the police station because a pal of mine had got nicked.

Then i got a phone call asking for a meeting a my house.

The police were concerned that i had 9 shoguns in a 2 gun cabinet.  I explained that i had 4 cabinets and they said

you never told us. I said i don't have to. I only have to inform you that i have bought or sold a gun.

But more to the point i said why did you release the guns to me if you thought i only had a 2 gun cabinet. 

Thank you sir all in order goodbye. As said above it makes you wonder at times.