Subtropical trout fishing (NZ)

Houseplant

Too windy to go out on the sea and too hot to climb hills in search of goats, so what to do? After a bit of thought, I decided to try and catch a trout from a river.  As mentioned before, I live in the worst place in New Zealand for trout fishing. It's a little too hot for them to thrive outside of a few deep lakes. On the plus side, literally no one fishes for them. Local culture is built around saltwater fishing, so the trout get very little pressure.

I went to a new spot which was well signposted. 

IMG-3575-2.jpg

The water was very low and clear, but had some good flow in places.

IMG-3572-2.jpg

IMG-3540-2.jpg

IMG-3554-2.jpg

I always take spinning gear when exploring new water as I'm not the world's best fly fisherman and it opens up a few more opportunities. Spinning is quite legal in this part of New Zealand. As usual, I started with a little jig fly. It has a little 3.8g jig head which casts well and is quite manageable in shallow water.

IMG-3557-2.jpg

No luck after an hour or so of fishing, then I came across a deep pool which looked quite promising.

IMG-3533-2.jpg

Something hit my lure on the first cast! Unfortunately, it didn't get hooked. This happened three times, on the fourth cast, I found myself attached to a spirited little fish, it was jumping, racing upstream, then downstream and taking drag! Eventually, I got it in the net. A perfect, wild rainbow trout of around three quarters of a pound. Success!

IMG-3531-2.jpg

With no need to eat this little fish, he was gently released after a quick a photo. I continued wading downstream until I found a nice spot for lunch. As I was sat there dangling my feet in the water, a huge eel, at least one metre long appeared from depths. He took an interest in my toes and I thought it prudent to remove them from harm's way! 

IMG-3570-2.jpg

The eel was very active and it was interesting watching him swim around and scare a smaller specimen out of it's hole.

With the sun getting high, it was time to start heading home. An enjoyable and somewhat successful mini-adventure.