Good shot?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

43 minutes ago, Good shot? said:

Has anyone read about the proposed Highway Code changes to be made regarding the hierarchy of road users.

I have not read yet, wasn't even aware there had been any proposals. Even if some changes are made I doubt they will make any difference.

As I understand it, the highway code is just that, (A code of practice ) the majority of it's content is not legally binding, so I think things will continue as they are regardless.

Lorries/bus's/vans/motorcyclists and cars owners will still pay the road tax so that roads are kept in relatively good condition, so this will continue to allow non road tax payers to take priority of road use.

As a lorry driver I witness daily youth and adults ignoring traffic lights whilst riding bicycles, riding 2 and 3 abreast on busy main roads when there is a dedicated cycle lane available, and if you do have the downright cheek to "toot" them to move over all you get is the finger. I have also witnessed big packs of weekend road race cyclists take up the whole road with no thought for any other road users and, as I know from bitter experience, if your vehicle gets damaged by a cyclist you have little chance of a successful claim as most do not have insurance cover, Hell they don't even have to have passed a cycling proficiency test.

Then there's Horse riders, who insist on riding, again sometimes 2 abreast, a timid, non bomb proof horse on the side of a busy main road yet moan like hell at a passing motorist that has slowed down and moved over to pass but still managed to startle the horse by overtaking, on another note, If I am walking my dog and it poo's on the grass verge or pavement, If I then get caught not cleaning up after it I can expect a hefty fine, and rightly so. Horse riders however, can let them **** wherever they like with impunity.   

It's worth a read, imo it is just another means for another set or protesters i.e. Certain sections of the cycling community to push themselves to the front of the queue in priority and obviously the legal profession  to profit from.Anything written in the Highway Code can and will be used in a court of law, for or against, usually against.

This and other HR laws or rules will no doubt go against many common sense rules once again.

Rant over, I don't know where this country is going to end up. 

More rules just means more loopholes.

This bonkers new rule will undoubtedly lead to a lot more accidents involving cyclists.

As said above, too many of them already don't care about little things like obeying the law or considering other road users.

There must be an army of government mandarins out there with no function other than to dream up a continuous stream of tedious rules and regulations.

As I understand the new rules - in summary, if a cyclist comes even anywhere near a motorist - then the motorist immediately becomes guilty of a string of misdemeanours the cyclist cares to complain about.

15 hours ago, Westward said:

There must be an army of cycle riding government mandarins out there with no function other than to dream up a continuous stream of tedious rules and regulations to benefit themselves.

Clarified for you.

23 hours ago, Good shot? said:

Has anyone read about the proposed Highway Code changes to be made regarding the hierarchy of road users.

Surely they are not PROPOSED, they are entering law next week.

Biggest change will be the Roads Hierarchy!

The single most annoying part for me is that pedestrians will be given right of way across in front of you. Consequently the burke paying no attention to the dangerous road and concentrating on his awfully important phone content is now protected in law. The good old days of actually looking out for ones self have now gone.

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2022/01/new-2022-highway-code-changes-are-you-aware-of-the-new-rules/

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE

4 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

They must to give priority to pedestrians on shared paths.

It is written that they must not use pavements.

Cyclists can pretty well do as they please; they are unrecorded, un-licenced, largely unregulated, wholly un-policed, anonymous(if they choose) and uninsured.  In effect outside the law if they choose.

1 hour ago, JohnfromUK said:

Cyclists can pretty well do as they please; they are unrecorded, un-licenced, largely unregulated, wholly un-policed, anonymous(if they choose) and uninsured.  In effect outside the law if they choose.

"Here lies the body of Richard Day

Who died maintaining his right of way

His mind was clear and his will was strong

BUT, he's just as dead as if he'd been wrong"

I know that this might not go down well , but I can't see any problem at all( from a drivers point of view) . I already give way to pedestrians at junctions , and always give plenty of space to cyclists and horses . It's just , good road manners , and common sense.   On the plus side , it might enable the prosecution of the gangs of idiot Road users that seems to be growing daily . Driving skills ,  and ,road manners , seem to have vanished over the last few years .

9 hours ago, mel b3 said:

I know that this might not go down well , but I can't see any problem at all( from a drivers point of view) . I already give way to pedestrians at junctions , and always give plenty of space to cyclists and horses . It's just , good road manners , and common sense.   On the plus side , it might enable the prosecution of the gangs of idiot Road users that seems to be growing daily . Driving skills ,  and ,road manners , seem to have vanished over the last few years .

My comments regarding using washers on cyclists was a bit tongue in cheek as I consider myself a courteous driver already give way to  pedestrians at junctions and also give a slow and wide berth to horses and cyclists.

OB

9 hours ago, mel b3 said:

I know that this might not go down well , but I can't see any problem at all( from a drivers point of view) . I already give way to pedestrians at junctions , and always give plenty of space to cyclists and horses . It's just , good road manners , and common sense. 

I totally agree, however I find the red part totally lacking in many of those listed before.

1 hour ago, Old Boggy said:

My comments regarding using washers on cyclists was a bit tongue in cheek as I consider myself a courteous driver already give way to  pedestrians at junctions and also give a slow and wide berth to horses and cyclists.

OB

I knew it was just tongue in cheek Chris 👍.

Some cyclists and horse riders , are a real menace on the road though, and in all honesty , I'm surprised that the accident figures aren't even higher.

1 hour ago, Yellow Bear said:

I totally agree, however I find the red part totally lacking in many of those listed before.

Road manners and common sense appear to have rapidly vanished over the last few years . I don't think that driving skill levels have dropped , I think that attitudes have changed . I think that the whole of society has changed , and poor road use is just one of the side effects . I see examples of it daily , when another driver makes a mistake , and instead of just holding up an apologetic hand , they'll shout abuse at me for their mistake . I see drivers treating red lights as advisory , they'll slow down or stop , and then carry on through the red light when the road is clear .  The red light issue appears to be mainly Eastern European drivers , and as I've never driven ( or even visited )in another country ,  I can only assume that this is the way that things are done in their own country.

Edited to add.

Maybe I'm just over sensitive,  as I'm a hgv driver , and very aware of how badly pedestrians and cars fare against lorries.

Edited by mel b3

2 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

I've never driven ( or even visited )in another country ,  I can only assume that this is the way that things are done in their own country.

You are right - some overseas places - red lights, 'give ways' etc. and even being on the right side of the road are (or at least were were I travelled a bit 30 years ago in Central America) optional!  I was advised to be very careful as any 'foreigner' driving and involved in an accident would undoubtedly be in the wrong against a 'local'.   If the other party swerved onto your side of the road to avoid a pothole - you had to avoid them!  It was frightening, but luckily I escaped without mishap.

21 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

You are right - some overseas places - red lights, 'give ways' etc. and even being on the right side of the road are (or at least were were I travelled a bit 30 years ago in Central America) optional!  I was advised to be very careful as any 'foreigner' driving and involved in an accident would undoubtedly be in the wrong against a 'local'.   If the other party swerved onto your side of the road to avoid a pothole - you had to avoid them!  It was frightening, but luckily I escaped without mishap.

It's one of the things that I find quite worrying as a driver . It only started a few years ago , but I see it several times every day now.

3 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

Sounds like Belize.

I was told the locals drive on the best bit!