Highway Code change!

Good shot?

I remember a few years ago crossing on a "Zebra" crossing with a green man in Nice, with cars threading in front and behind the pedestrians as we crossed.
Strangely enough a guy on the same Cruise with the same name as me was knocked down on a crossing that day and ended up in hospital.  That caused a little bit of confusion here and there.

I saw something the other day about a new rule that drivers now have to open their car door with their left hand as that "encourages" you to turn round as you open the door making you more likely to spot a cyclist trying to knock your mirrors off with their handlebars 🤐

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

37 minutes ago, serrac said:

I saw something the other day about a new rule that drivers now have to open their car door with their left hand as that "encourages" you to turn round as you open the door making you more likely to spot a cyclist trying to knock your mirrors off with their handlebars 🤐

Apparently it has a name.

”Dutch reach  technique” 

Edited by Good shot?

33 minutes ago, bluesj said:

You will all be glad of these changes when the only transport you can afford is a horse or a bike! 

Well as horse ownership is possibly the most pointless and expensive way to get around and I use my push bike to get around locally, I will continue to run my small Italian sports car. I am annoyed that I have to break down the gun in to a motor case, but hey it can be a hard life.  :cool1:

Now in the unlikely event that ALL road users start to abide by the Highway Code and all the existing Road Laws I shall thoroughly enjoy respecting and being respected whilst travelling on the open road.  :w00t:

But I won't be holding my breath.  :rolleyes:

On 24/01/2022 at 13:32, serrac said:

saw something the other day about a new rule that drivers now have to open their car door with their left hand as that "encourages" you to turn round as you open the door making you more likely to spot a cyclist trying to knock your mirrors off with their handlebars 🤐

Particularly pertinent for the passenger on the curb side as they tend to travel faster on the pavement:whistling:

On 23/01/2022 at 22:53, mel b3 said:

I know that this might not go down well , but I can't see any problem at all( from a drivers point of view) . I already give way to pedestrians at junctions , and always give plenty of space to cyclists and horses . It's just , good road manners , and common sense.   On the plus side , it might enable the prosecution of the gangs of idiot Road users that seems to be growing daily . Driving skills ,  and ,road manners , seem to have vanished over the last few years .

This is all well and good until the car/lorry up you back end isn't watching and bang . Having to drive a lorry round must of the SE of England and a fair bit in London can see this causing no end of RTC'S and road rage,

Just now, fse10 said:

This is all well and good until the car/lorry up you back end isn't watching and bang . Having to drive a lorry round must of the SE of England and a fair bit in London can see this causing no end of RTC'S and road rage,

Totally agree, no thought at all involved in these changes.

20 minutes ago, fse10 said:

What would you do then ?, run the pedestrian over ?, or just carry on driving past your junction ?.  If the driver behind you isn't paying attention,  then it's their problem to worry about . If you turned into a junction and a vehicle was there , you'd have to stop , just the same as if it was a pedestrian.

My opinions are based on being a hgv driver for over 20 years 👍.

29 minutes ago, Weihrauch17 said:

Totally agree, no thought at all involved in these changes.

Their will have been lots of thought gone into these changes . Things had to change to keep the roads safe for everyone.  Roads , vehicles , volume of traffic etc , has changed massively over the years , and the way that we use the roads has to change . If drivers used the roads in a polite and responsible way , we wouldn't have changes forced upon us , but many drivers are little more than idiots , and have to be forced by legislation to drive responsibly.

On 23/01/2022 at 19:56, Old Boggy said:

Good. In that case I will continue with my ‘jolly wheeze’ with the washers, knowing that I am still complying with the law/code 😂

Actually, your driving without due care and attention, same as if you 'splash' pedestrians with puddles.....

On 24/01/2022 at 20:07, Weihrauch17 said:

When will Cyclists be required to pay road tax and have insurance?

Cyclists are zero rated for VED so no point in setting up a multi billion pound computer system for no income, upside is cyclists more often complain about potholes as they are inherently dangerous to cyclists, where as your car will glide over them and help pressure councils into keeping roads in good condition.

A lot of cyclists do have 3rd party insurance, especially commuters and often others unknowingly, if they have insured bike for theft.

1 hour ago, Stonepark said:

Actually, your driving without due care and attention, same as if you 'splash' pedestrians with puddles.....

It was a `tongue in cheek` comment. I don`t actually do that, although sometimes feel like doing it when they are riding two or even three abreast knowing full well that a car is hoping to overtake them, given the right road clearance/conditions.

32 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

It was a `tongue in cheek` comment. I don`t actually do that, although sometimes feel like doing it when they are riding two or even three abreast knowing full well that a car is hoping to overtake them, given the right road clearance/conditions.

I reckon you're the type of shady character that keeps a bag of ripe tomatoes in the car , just to throw at cyclists 😄😄😄.

I'm a very patient driver , but I'll freely admit that some cyclists really take the xxxx when they deliberately block the roads . 

4 hours ago, mel b3 said:

What would you do then ?, run the pedestrian over ?, or just carry on driving past your junction ?.  If the driver behind you isn't paying attention,  then it's their problem to worry about . If you turned into a junction and a vehicle was there , you'd have to stop , just the same as if it was a pedestrian.

Well no, you would not run the pedestrian over or carry on past your junction. But if a group of pedestrians were talking at the pavements edge or it was a typical youth of nowadays, with their earphones in and their mind on the text message they were sending or receiving, you could be blocking the road for some time, especially if you "toot" the said youth, just to make them aware your waiting for them to move and their response is again the typical "V" sign or finger.

Then there is the all to possible scenario that yobs, school kids or even adults, out of spite/boredom etc. etc. Will purposely stand at the junctions of roads with no intention of wanting to cross, just to cause chaos. How many times have people pressed the button on traffic lights and then carried on walking.

Insulate Britain, remember them, Sat in the middle of the M25 having no legal way to cause chaos and disruption. These new rules would have been a godsend to them  curtesy of the transport minister who, just maybe, should have thought a bit more about this instead of worrying whether he was going to be invited to Boris's next party , sorry my mistake, "work meeting".  

Then whilst your waiting for a person to cross from your path, a vehicle hits you up the ****, it's their fault but it's both your problem to worry about, don't forget it's going to **** your day up as well.

So no, these new additions to the highway code have not been well though out at all.  

Edited by Tonka54
Add Comment

4 hours ago, mel b3 said:

If they are standing at side of road, i would carry on as normal and they can cross after i've made my turn. Have you seen how busy the streets in London are? You would never get anywhere with having to stop at every turn.

55 minutes ago, Tonka54 said:

Well no, you would not run the pedestrian over or carry on past your junction. But if a group of pedestrians were talking at the pavements edge or it was a typical youth of nowadays, with their earphones in and their mind on the text message they were sending or receiving, you could be blocking the road for some time, especially if you "toot" the said youth, just to make them aware your waiting for them to move and their response is again the typical "V" sign or finger.

Then there is the all to possible scenario that yobs, school kids or even adults, out of spite/boredom etc. etc. Will purposely stand at the junctions of roads with no intention of wanting to cross, just to cause chaos. How many times have people pressed the button on traffic lights and then carried on walking.

Then whilst your waiting for a person to cross from your path, a vehicle hits you up the ****, its their fault but it both your problem to worry about, don't forget it's going to **** your day up as well.

So no, these new additions to the highway code have not been well though out at all.  

Well I can only speak from my own experience with this , but I've been giving way to pedestrians on junctions for around 35 years , and so far , nobody has rear ended me , so considering that I'm a hgv driver , that spends my whole working life on the road , then I drive backwards and forwards to work , then I drive to go fishing or shooting,  then I drive to my land in Wales,  I must just be very lucky , as I've managed to avoid the carnage that comes with giving way to pedestrians and cyclists.

People are getting bent out of shape over nothing at all . Any half decent driver , with any sense of right and wrong , already gives way when a pedestrian is in your way , or is about to cross a junction . Anyone that doesn't,  really shouldn’t be driving anything other than a toy tractor.

Many people get behind the wheel , and think that they own the road , and that everyone else has to get out of their way . The reality of driving is that its a team game , and everyone needs to play their part ( it's more important now than ever). I fully agree that their are plenty of idiot pedestrians,  just the same as their is many idiot drivers , but , it's up to every driver to do their best .

I'll also add that I'm by no means a perfect driver , and I make my share of mistakes , but whenever I'm behind the wheel , I'm always doing my best 👍.

I should also add , that their is a school at each end of my street , so I'm more aware than most , what it's like to have , unthinking or self righteous pedestrians around , and other drivers that swing their car doors wide open without looking , or block junctions , or block your drive , or even park on your drive 😄.

6 minutes ago, fse10 said:

If they are standing at side of road, i would carry on as normal and they can cross after i've made my turn. Have you seen how busy the streets in London are? You would never get anywhere with having to stop at every turn.

The reality of it is , that very little will change . Sensible pedestrians,  will still give way to sensible drivers , and sensible drivers will still give way to sensible pedestrians , as most normal people are smart enough to figure it out . The law has been changed so that hopefully,  less idiot drivers , will kill less idiot pedestrians.