Cartridges????

9 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

Traditionally red (for example in the lining of a gun case) was for "best" guns. Green lining was for everything else. As to why this should apply to cartridges I don't know. In fact I'd reckon that like the myth of low brass and high brass it is just fetishism.

Sir you cheapen the debate with your true facts 😁.

1 hour ago, Old farrier said:

And a very dodgy handshake 😂

Please enlighten me and my fellow county man Mr Ditchman about a dodgy handshake please , we are not very streetwise and would love to know what go on outside of Norfolk :hmm:

As for the Red cartridges , no doubt like you I have used at sometime just about every colour cartridge in the rainbow and a few more on top of that, also some all brass cases , all of them connected at times and then there were times I wouldn't give them house room :lol: 

Once upon a time... 410s were brown.   28s were red.  20s were yellow 16s were blue. 12s were Eley, indian orange. The General idea was that you kept the colours separate and didn't stuff a 20 into a 12 and blow your head off.  There was only Eley available at the local ironmongers. Life was simple and easy. No one complained about their sbs kicking like a mule. There was no high brass. The sun shone and life was good. Then suddenly it all went downhill.  Marketing men got involved, sons wanted to wear dresses, play with their Xboxes and women didn't want to hande shot game. white was whiter than white and cartridges came in every colour under the sun. You just got to take no notice.  Put the lead on the target, lead the head and prey for your sins. Ps just seen the above post and I  dont know what year 20s changed to yellow but they were yellow in 1973.  Hope you had a good evening roost.  

3 hours ago, Nitram xx said:

Right, I don't now much about cartridges, but what's all this about Red been best? 

Good evening Nitram xx

I started a thread about RED Game cartridges being the best purely to have a dig at some of the overthinkers within this great forum.

It got moved to the playpen and is still running.

I invariably use RED cartridges when out shooting pheasants and partridge.

I use whatever is cheapest for clays and woodpigeons.

The simplest way to look at is as far as I am concerned is;

Buy the cheapest cartridges you can get regularly from your local gun-shop or cartridge supplier.

There are no bad shells available, if your gun fits and you point it in the right direction the target or bird will fall.

2 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Good evening Nitram xx

I started a thread about RED Game cartridges being the best purely to have a dig at some of the overthinkers within this great forum.

It got moved to the playpen and is still running.

I invariably use RED cartridges when out shooting pheasants and partridge.

I use whatever is cheapest for clays and woodpigeons.

The simplest way to look at is as far as I am concerned is;

Buy the cheapest cartridges you can get regularly from your local gun-shop or cartridge supplier.

There are no bad shells available, if your gun fits and you point it in the right direction the target or bird will fall.

100%  

1 hour ago, enfieldspares said:

There very much was high brass! And metal lined underneath the paper case. Eley's "Gastight"! Folk now, well in the 1980s and 1990s, think of the Grand Prix as a "premium" cartridge when in fact it was very very much not such. And those high brass, metal lined, money no object quality "Gastight"? They were...RED! LOL!

What about the Eley Alphamax , they had a fair bit of brass and they were Red ,  the first Yellow ones we used were the well liked Yellow Wizard's , these were about in the 60s for about 12/6d a box , :good:

2 hours ago, marsh man said:

Please enlighten me and my fellow county man Mr Ditchman about a dodgy handshake please , we are not very streetwise and would love to know what go on outside of Norfolk :hmm:

As for the Red cartridges , no doubt like you I have used at sometime just about every colour cartridge in the rainbow and a few more on top of that, also some all brass cases , all of them connected at times and then there were times I wouldn't give them house room :lol: 

Have you never seen the way they discreetly shake with piece of ginger in the palm 🤭🤫

7 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Have you never seen the way they discreetly shake with piece of ginger in the palm 🤭🤫

No , I am sorry I haven't , well not really sorry , just wondering what if anything I have been missing ? , the only item I am hopping is in the palm of the hand when I shake it after a days shooting is over is a folding piece of paper , and colour this time really do make a bit of difference :lol:

8 minutes ago, marsh man said:

No , I am sorry I haven't , well not really sorry , just wondering what if anything I have been missing ? , the only item I am hopping is in the palm of the hand when I shake it after a days shooting is over is a folding piece of paper , and colour this time really do make a bit of difference 

Red is best on the folding paper 😂😂😊

3 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Yes indeed, but only on the really great days!  :cool1:

All days are great when a small token of thanks end up in the pocket , when I was driving the shoot lorry it was a fairly regular occurrence to get some folding money for many varied reasons , believe it or not , I have lent a visiting gun one of my own guns for the days shoot , the last time was when a friend of my boss came over from Dubai for a short break and was invited on the days shoot , other reasons were , getting a empty cartridge case out of a gun that had slipped over a ejector , stripping a gun down that was rusty after not been used since the last season , giving a gun a couple of my back pain tablets for his head ache , going down the pub dinnertime to get some fags , and a strange one was when we had chap turn up on a sold day with a good looking young lady that I never found out weather it was his girl friend , his wife or someone else's wife , after the briefing I was asked to stand with her on her peg to put her at ease and above all to make sure she was safe , during the morning she had a fair amount of shooting and didn't hit a bird , after lunch she was number 9 and was the only gun on the other side of the hedge , while we were having a yarn she said do you want a shot with my gun ? , I said no not really , go on have a go , alright then , one shot and then you can take it back , I was keeping my fingers crossed that nothing came our way as normally no 9 is mainly out of the drive , when the Partridges started to jump from the flushing point in the wood one bird swung and followed the hedge , I had no option bar giving it a shot , I swung her little ole gun up and gave it a shot when it was nearly level with us and as luck would have it the poor bird hit full on and was as dead as a dodo , her partner who could see it from where he was shouted out good shot , I handed back her gun and she still ended the day hitting nothing .

When we got back to the hall she came over and thanked me for looking after her and for keeping our little white lie a secret , with this we shook hands and my sensitive fingers detected a folding bank note which was very much appreciated :lol: