Saturday's Report X 2

pigeon controller

I went out on Friday morning following a request from a farmer who is having a particular problem with one field of rape. I went to the field which has two other larger fields next to it and it has been eaten down to the heart of the plant. This particular morning it was covered with thick frost and the birds were in the trees waiting for it to thaw. I was set up for 10.00 with ten decoys on cradles and two flappers, during setting up the flock went off into the distance. By 11.00 I had one bird return which I shot.

I left my gear set up and walked back to the Disco with my gun and carts to go and find the flock. As I drove past the other rape it had no birds present. About a mile away is a small five acre field of rape and the trees around it were covered, so I went and looked at some more rape with no birds.

I decided the pack up and go to the five acre field. After packing all my gear away again I drove back to the five acre field as I did I noticed some birds in the trees of another field which I had driven past earlier( Mental Note). When I finally arrived at the five acre it had no birds at all!!!! So back to the area that I had seen the birds and yes they were still in the trees. Now this position is between the two previous fields so I set up and waited it was now 12.30 after about ten minutes the birds started to return to the trees and overfly to my decoys. I packed up at 15.00 and picked up 27 pigeons.

Today I drove to another section of rape expecting birds to be feeding as we had no frost, at the first two fields no birds I could not get to the third field as a delivery truck had one of his wheels in the ditch. At the last field I could see about fifty birds in the trees and they were dropping in so they wanted to feed. So I set up with ten on cradles and two on the magnet right on the brow of the hill so that my decoys were very visible, I was all set up for 10.30 and the first two into the decoys came from behind me which was a good omen as there is a large field of rape in that direction with gas guns on it. The birds were a steady stream to the decoys and at midday a game shoot started behind me and sent a large flock high over my head as they did not show any interest in the decoys I gave then two barrels to split them up hoping they thought it was a gas gun and let them come back and look at the pattern. The afternoon was steady and I packed up at 15.30 and picked up 92 pigeons so it was a better day than Friday.        

100_3552.JPG

100_3554.JPG

PC- another cracking write up, well done today, great bag.

There seems to have been a few of out recently with some excellent bags and equally good write ups.

PC have your pigeon bags been above average this winter ? I have a theory about lack of shooting during lockdowns have considerably increased the pigeon population nationwide.

11 minutes ago, the hitman said:

PC- another cracking write up, well done today, great bag.

There seems to have been a few of out recently with some excellent bags and equally good write ups.

PC have your pigeon bags been above average this winter ? I have a theory about lack of shooting during lockdowns have considerably increased the pigeon population nationwide.

My average is about the same I tend to deliver between 5 or 6 hundred a month during the winter. I did share a field with Bunny_Blaster in the summer over laid barley I had two hundred he had six hundred in the centre of the field.

Edited by pigeon controller

2 minutes ago, pigeon controller said:

My average is about the same I tend to deliver between 5 or 6 hundred a month during the winter. I did share a field with Bunny_Basher in the summer over laid barley I had two hundred he had six hundred in the centre of the field.

Big numbers indeed- thank you for replying.