ASBESTOS FLUE REMOVAL

DUNKS

Hi has anyone had an asbestos four inch OD gas boiler flue removed? Thinking of swopping my old boiler for a combi which makes the old flue redundant and it could stay in place. We do have an asbestos removal company local who I can ask, but any other suggestions?

It's a long flue from ground floor up through the roof.

10 minutes ago, DUNKS said:

Hi has anyone had an asbestos four inch OD gas boiler flue removed? Thinking of swopping my old boiler for a combi which makes the old flue redundant and it could stay in place. We do have an asbestos removal company local who I can ask, but any other suggestions?

First thought, why change if working as gas soon to be as vilified as coal? Be patient?

13 minutes ago, old man said:

First thought, why change if working as gas soon to be as vilified as coal? Be patient?

Good thinking batman but the old boiler keeps failing, we think it's the gas valve. It's just unreliable, Just spent two days in the cold. New valve for my boiler is unobtainable. Been looking for ages. We are both 85 so not much bothered about future legislation.

If its not going to break up as you remove it you can get bags from your local tip and book it in with them and they'll take small amounts. Our tip at Craven Arms will supply the plastic to double wrap it, you phone up and book a time slot so they can unlock the bin and that's it. They're not allowed to help you move it though so make sure you don't make the packages too big to lift yourself.

3 hours ago, DUNKS said:

I'd be inclined to leave it in place for the next incumbent to sort out. 

23 minutes ago, Benthejockey said:

If its not going to break up as you remove it you can get bags from your local tip and book it in with them and they'll take small amounts. Our tip at Craven Arms will supply the plastic to double wrap it, you phone up and book a time slot so they can unlock the bin and that's it. They're not allowed to help you move it though so make sure you don't make the packages too big to lift yourself.

Similar here - except you had to supply the bags and double wrap and seal with tape.  I did a register plate from an old fireplace (now replaced with some sort of approved replacement) and also soaked it well to prevent any dust.

3 hours ago, DUNKS said:

Good thinking batman but the old boiler keeps failing, we think it's the gas valve. It's just unreliable, Just spent two days in the cold. New valve for my boiler is unobtainable. Been looking for ages. We are both 85 so not much bothered about future legislation.

Dunks, maybe put the details up here? 

Does the person saying not available have an interest in getting you to change?

WE outed our old boiler that had functioned for 30 years ish and are now on our second combi. Not noticed the supposed economis promised, now uses 2 galls water to get hot to the tap? Water metered obviously so lose , lose.?

Fair bet the spares can be found in Birmingham with a phone around.

8 minutes ago, DUNKS said:

I think this is the best plan, It's not really in the way.

Spray paint black to seal then leave, will be mistaken for a down pipe?

Edited by old man

No no interest to change. Knowing our boiler is 40 years old we have been looking for a spare gas valve for years. I was prepared to buy to keep just in case. The gas valve is the only thing to go badly wrong. Sorry yours is not a success. I have heard this can be the case.

9 minutes ago, DUNKS said:

No no interest to change. Knowing our boiler is 40 years old we have been looking for a spare gas valve for years. I was prepared to buy to keep just in case. The gas valve is the only thing to go badly wrong. Sorry yours is not a success. I have heard this can be the case.

We have been in our house for 30 years and our boiler was nowhere near new then. I don't know what I'd do if I had to change it.

28 minutes ago, harrycatcat1 said:

Yes but would it be gas, electric or go back to a back boiler type wood burner it what I meant. The combi's only seem to have a life span of 10 years maximum and are as unreliable as a land rover.

Now if Land Rover made boilers, that really doesn't  need much thought!

The asbestos flue pipe is made from asbestos cement and contains crisotile asbestos, often referred to as white asbestos. The HSE website has a booklet called Work with asbestos that does not require a licence. There is a section in there that will tell you the correct method to remove and dispose of the flue.

That is the easy part, often where these flues passed through floors, ceiling and roofs installers used asbestos insulation board to pack between the flue and woodwork to prevent heat transfer causing a fire. Asbestos insulation board (AIB) in the trade contains Amosite and often Crocidolite asbestos, often referred to as brown and blue asbestos, these types of asbestos must only be removed by contractors that have a HSE asbestos removal licence.

Without surveying and testing any insulation material around the flue my advice is leave it in situ or have a licensed contractor remove it

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Buy a replacement I presume!   

If only. You cant use the old flue and where my boiler is it's near impossible to fit a new one in a different place. Also the water cylinder may have to be replaced, making it an expensive job.

• 3 weeks later...