Goldfinches

harrycatcat1

Up to this year we used to have lots of goldfinches in our front and rear garden on the Niger seed feeders. I used to get through two or three 1kg bags per week. 

I have thrown more seed replenishing and cleaning the feeders out than I ever had.

All of a sudden they seem to have disappeared, even the neighbours are experiencing similar 🤔 

Do you still have goldfinches?

They seem to come and go here in West Leicestershire as well. I don't feed specific but a mix of small bird and black sunflower with a few peanuts mixed in. This is on the seven feed tables I have in my wood and feeders here in the yard which get hit mainly with house sparrows.  I calculate I feed around 50kg a month but well worth every penny.

7 hours ago, Mice! said:

I've not seen any since the end of summer,  I figured they'd gone somewhere warmer, I had a pair of Greenfinch pop on a few weeks back.

They’re in my garden, 6 and 8 on the feeders at the same time, both gold and green, plus chaffinches and of course sparrows.

I feed here but read recently that its not good for many species as they get crowded out by the gold finch and blue tits. I try to break up the feeding with different locations and food types to try and broaden the birds that benefit. The further I feed from the house the sooner the hawks come to feed which limits the options further. I was putting out peanuts to bring in the squirrels but they were soon replaced by the jays that won't let me even open a window before they are off. 

Plenty of wood peckers feeding on the sun flower hearts.