6 guns, 300 Canada Geese (Sweden)

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Why?

its just killing stuff...for want of killing............wildfowling for me many years ago in the kings lynn wildfowlers and GYWA....has not been about killing...its about learning and taking what you require......many times i came off the Wolverton flats with nothing........and when you did come off the flats or marsh with a couple of geese or duck ...it was taken with respect...and not wasted

i hear everybody cry "what about driven game you hypocrite"........driven game is a harvest..and there is so much more that is associated with it........im not in favour of big game days...where it is a numbers game.....a 150 bird day taken slowly...is special

im sorry but that type of shooting dosnt sit comfortable with me........its like someone pigeon shooting geese

im not going to bang my drum....cause i tend to respect other folks point of view.....

its just not my cup of tea...........sorry:good:

2 hours ago, ditchman said:

its just killing stuff...for want of killing............wildfowling for me many years ago in the kings lynn wildfowlers and GYWA....has not been about killing...its about learning and taking what you require......many times i came off the Wolverton flats with nothing........and when you did come off the flats or marsh with a couple of geese or duck ...it was taken with respect...and not wasted

i hear everybody cry "what about driven game you hypocrite"........driven game is a harvest..and there is so much more that is associated with it........im not in favour of big game days...where it is a numbers game.....a 150 bird day taken slowly...is special

im sorry but that type of shooting dosnt sit comfortable with me........its like someone pigeon shooting geese

im not going to bang my drum....cause i tend to respect other folks point of view.....

You are not alone.

2 hours ago, ditchman said:

Nor mine.

22 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

Would anyone complain about getting a 300 bird Crow day? I for one would not. Yes, some of the Geese could have probably been hit with a stick, but it was an act of controlling massive numbers who cause considerable damage and cost to land owners/farmers.

I agree with this. The one with Digweed and Crow was over 500 and very entertaining, but that showed professionals at work.

It is not the numbers that concerned me, as that is very effective pest control of an invasive species, the reason I posted a comment on the YouTube video a couple of weeks ago was about the standard of shooting as there were very few ‘kills’ compared to the number of ‘hits’ due to extensive gut shots from under-leading the goose or misidentifying the kill zone. I would argue that there is a duty of respect to try to kill in a clean, singular action. After maiming the first 250 of that day surely it would be better to reconsider your shooting, or to edit the video down. Showing lots of geese being badly shot with no apparent dog on hand is not necessarily a positive. 

I say this as someone who posts pictures or videos of my dogs retrieving runners. But these should be more of the exception rather than the rule, and are shared for their rarity rather than being the run of the mill.

The guy who runs the YouTube channel responded to my negative comment in a very professional, courteous manner and demonstrated a considerable experience in pest control. My concerns were somewhat reduced following this. But I would have still cropped the action down to show 95% clean kills, then insisted that any future paying guns are more experienced. 

Edited by WalkedUp

The above would certainly not be on my bucket list , with geese I can remember most , if not all the ones I have shot , I often look in my diary and the few details of the flight bring it all back . with that type of shooting I would soon forget what I had shot and the gun would go back in the slip .

You can't call it any type of wild fowling , it is purely goose decoying for crop protection , and that wouldn't appeal to me one bit .