6 guns, 300 Canada Geese (Sweden)

7 minutes ago, oowee said:

If it is for crop protection.

Tell me what is the difference with this or shooting pigeons? 

you can’t shoot many pigeons if you think this is even remotely like it if it was the same paid slaughter I would jack it in tomorrow the  antis must be over joyed with this morons video 

9 minutes ago, clangerman said:

you can’t shoot many pigeons if you think this is even remotely like it if it was the same paid slaughter I would jack it in tomorrow the  antis must be over joyed with this morons video 

Explain the difference. Pigeons or geese or any other bird? I was not aware they were being paid? Even so does it make a difference?

34 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

It's not so much what we Shooters feel about the video, more what the anti's will use it for.

I can certainly agree with that and to some extent it's one reason I don't illustrate the results of some of the shooting i do.  From an anti perspective I am not sure there is much difference between something like this and many of the other video's we see, be it long range crows with rifles, rat or rabbit clearance, or fox control with shotgun. 

38 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

Well I think it is very efficient culling of a pest for crop protection . I would love a day like that ... I suppose all the nay sayers have never wounded a goose before ...yeah right. We don't need antis when there are plenty in our camp against shooting. 

we need videos showing the slaughter of geese and birds trying to escape gut shot with broken legs even less only way the slaughter could look more sickening is using a handful of bird seed and hammers 

On 27/01/2022 at 22:31, mel b3 said:

I see shooting geese for crop protection, exactly the same as shooting pigeons for crop protection . Just imagine the damage that can be done by so many geese. 👍

👍

On 27/01/2022 at 21:48, clangerman said:

birds trying to escape gut shot with broken legs 

So are you trying to say every bird you shoot is head shot and stone dead .....I dont think so. Imagine how many pheasants are pricked and wounded on shoots every day ..........thousands 👍

11 hours ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

👍

So are you trying to say every bird you shoot is head shot and stone dead .....I dont think so. Imagine how many pheasants are pricked and wounded on shoots every day ..........thousands 👍

What you say may be true ,but does that make it right ? Have a think .Amateurs paying for a day out ….no dog in sight ….poor standard of shooting . it’s not about crop protection it’s a commercial business simple as ….crop protection it is not….when money enters the equation humane standards tend to disappear,…….crippled geese lurching around everywhere ,no effort to retrieve and dispatch wounded ….gut shot …wings smashed …feet blown off ,slow lingering deaths ,….like I said everyone has there own standards, I will stick with mine , you would enjoy a day like that ?

13 hours ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

No one is saying that at all, but this Herbert really didn't need to post that waful video showing just how poor a sportsman he is.

It will do us no favours.

After seeing so many negative comments,  I had another good look at the video , and I still think that it was a very efficient days pest control.  It was pest control , and the fact that customers were paying to shoot is not really relevant   .  The number of birds was massive , and I would imagine that so many birds could prove catastrophic to a farm.

The video didn't show dogs picking the pricked birds , but it did say at the end , that they stopped shooting as the dogs were tired , so they were obviously being used . The video also said that they had a lot of hard work to do , as the meat was to be harvested .

As for the standard of shooting,  I didn't think that it was too bad at all , as although you could hear quite a few shots , they were off camera , and may well have resulted in a dead bird , but we just couldn't see it .

Morally,  I find it much more acceptable than big driven days ( not that I have anything against big driven days) . The geese were shot for a very good reason ( pest control) , but large driven days are for sport(fun) . Having said that , an anti would see both days as exactly the same. 

4 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

Morally,  I find it much more acceptable than big driven days ( not that I have anything against big driven days) . The geese were shot for a very good reason ( pest control) , but large driven days are for sport(fun) . Having said that , an anti would see both days as exactly the same. 

Agree 👍

I also have nothing against big driven days. If I could afford them I would definitely shoot one or two a year. My only concern was the poor shooting. If they had shown the birds being brought in clearly dead rather than just the shots then I would have likely had a different reaction when I initially saw the video. 

Edited by WalkedUp

1 hour ago, WalkedUp said:

Agree 👍

I also have nothing against big driven days. If I could afford them I would definitely shoot one or two a year. My only concern was the poor shooting. If they had shown the birds being brought in clearly dead rather than just the shots then I would have likely had a different reaction when I initially saw the video. 

I reckon you're probably right . Most of us here will have experience of how it should be done ( picking up flappers straight away etc) , but the video didn't show that , so to us , it didn't look great , even though it was probably being done. 

From an anti point of view , they would probably say that the dogs being forced to pick up dead or dying birds , was cruel to the dogs , and infringed their rights as sentient beings 😁.

On the anti side of things.

I have a few , anti/ vegan/vegetarian,  friends and relatives , and I've always found that the best way to rub along with them , is to listen to them , and then calmly ,  factually , and honestly ,  address their issues.  Over the years , I've found that most of them understand the need for pest control , once the need has been clearly explained to them ( sometimes with pics of opened pigeon crops etc),  and the effects of having no pest control.  

I find it much harder to justify large driven days and fox hunting etc , but I focus on the positives , such as , the benefits gained by other wildlife from feeding pheasants,  and habitat improvements,  and the benefits of fox hunting by removing such efficient predators , and I also explain that a fox hound killing a fox , is as fast as a jack Russell killing a rat .

The antis that dress in black and threaten people,  are just thugs that care nothing for animal welfare , so trying to explain anything to those idiots , is as useful as poking yourself in the eye with a sharp pencil. 👍

8 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

I reckon you're probably right . Most of us here will have experience of how it should be done ( picking up flappers straight away etc) , but the video didn't show that , so to us , it didn't look great , even though it was probably being done. 

From an anti point of view , they would probably say that the dogs being forced to pick up dead or dying birds , was cruel to the dogs , and infringed their rights as sentient beings 😁.

On the anti side of things.

I have a few , anti/ vegan/vegetarian,  friends and relatives , and I've always found that the best way to rub along with them , is to listen to them , and then calmly ,  factually , and honestly ,  address their issues.  Over the years , I've found that most of them understand the need for pest control , once the need has been clearly explained to them ( sometimes with pics of opened pigeon crops etc),  and the effects of having no pest control.  

I find it much harder to justify large driven days and fox hunting etc , but I focus on the positives , such as , the benefits gained by other wildlife from feeding pheasants,  and habitat improvements,  and the benefits of fox hunting by removing such efficient predators , and I also explain that a fox hound killing a fox , is as fast as a jack Russell killing a rat .

The antis that dress in black and threaten people,  are just thugs that care nothing for animal welfare , so trying to explain anything to those idiots , is as useful as poking yourself in the eye with a sharp pencil. 👍

:good:

How do you think they sell this to new customers its all about the shooting if there watching dogs retrieving etc there hardley likely to think a flight to sweden and all the extras is worth it but sitting pulling the trigger all the time will get some folk on the phone reaching for there credit card