Red Dot sights

steve_b_wales

6 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

Good bits of kit. 

I tend to agree. I've been checking out prices online, as I don't want to pay £100's, and have seen 3 I could be interested in. (!) Impulse 1x22 Compact Red Dot sight with red laser @ £99:00 (2) Sightmark T5 with x5 magnifier @ £85:00 (3) Comp Mk 4 Type Red/Green dot with red/green laser @ £55:00 

As mentioned, whatever I purchase would be used only when my grandson/s join me on the farm.

Some of the screens are very small and make seeing around the dot tricky .get one with at least a 30 mm screen .

Some have a strong blue tint to them .I dont like this it makes the whole image feel odd. 

The dot size is important. 

3 moa dot is about as small as they go and are best for finer targets at longer ranges .

But can be hard to see in brighter sun light .

The 5 moa are bigger and can obscure a smaller target at range but are easier to see when it's bright .Great for fast action shooting (military style) 

Most have adjustable brightness settings to get round some of this .

Depending on how hard the gun recoils will effect its ability to hold zero .some dots are adjusted by moving the entire thing around others move the dot on the screen .you get what you pay for in this regard .

Some have rets that you can change with a flicknof a dial (from dots to circles  or crosses ) pretty handy as you can go from fine dot (target ) to big circle for shotguns or fast stuff .

The aimpoint will always be number one but the primary arms advance micro dot and vortex sparc AR are very nice for the money. I know I post allot about my muzzle loaders and bolt action hunting riggs as it’s my passion but when it come to my family safety I don’t hesitate to give myself every modern advantage possible.  And that’s exactly what a red dot does. A red dot allows you to look pass the optic and focus on the target for quick accusation.  I keep a Colt in the truck with an Aimpoint comp4s 

ae38R4r.jpg

and a suppressed mk18 beside the bed with a Aimpoint micro

Y8qGvsc.jpg