Consistent knockbacks

TVPC

Been trying locally for around 2 years now. 

After exploring various avenues I have managed to join a shoot for beating with some pigeon shooting in return for services. This is only at certain times though. Not a free for all. Which I fully respect.

My question however is, are the days of being able to turn up and approach a farmer to ask permission over?

At every turn there is either someone else on already or there is a shoot syndicate in place.

Highly frustrating 

11 minutes ago, clangerman said:

after two years you must be doing something wrong check your using the right approach 

I have Ngo insurance. Take my cert to show.  Identify which crop is being hit in which field.  I dress well and am polite and have business cards made up which I hand over on introduction. Always thank them for their time. 

8 minutes ago, sam triple said:

The thing is syndicates pay and at the end of the day cash is king I know from experience as the same thing happened to me , Try expanding your search and offer the farmer something in return 

Your correct. 

I have been going further afield in my searches but still to no avail. 

Why people pay to shoot pests is beyond me. 

I do have a permission but I would prefer to have the luxury of having a choice

3 minutes ago, TVPC said:

I have Ngo insurance. Take my cert to show.  Identify which crop is being hit in which field.  I dress well and am polite and have business cards made up which I hand over on introduction. Always thank them for their time. 

Your correct. 

Ones better than none be grateful for that 

8 minutes ago, TVPC said:

Possibly because it was the only way they could get any permission.   :cool1:

21 minutes ago, TVPC said:

sounds like your half way there picked up all my perms by knocking ready to shoot lot of farmers will take a chance if your ready to go even if it’s just to keep them of for the day farmers knock back day trippers in trainers waving perm slips all the time very rare I get a no these days 

9 minutes ago, clangerman said:

sounds like your half way there picked up all my perms by knocking ready to shoot lot of farmers will take a chance if your ready to go even if it’s just to keep them of for the day farmers knock back day trippers in trainers waving perm slips all the time very rare I get a no these days 

I was told its rude to turn up with your gear expecting to get on. 

Although I have pondered on this,  and as a last resort asking for a single go at them And if I do a decent job then go from there. 

I do get alot of "thanks but no thanks as I've already got someone". 

I guess if I had my gear with me I could go down the route of saying "well there not here now, and the crops getting hit"? Not in a cheeky way but you get my drift 

1 minute ago, TVPC said:

Although I have pondered on this,  and as a last resort asking for a single go at them And if I do a decent job then go from there. 

I guess if I had my gear with me I could go down the route of saying "well there not here now, and the crops getting hit"? Not in a cheeky way but you get my drift 

AKA stealing someone else's hard gained permission?

1 minute ago, TVPC said:

I always go with (would you like me to keep them of for you) looking the part is half the job if your there ready to go it’s much more tempting to say yes 

11 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

AKA stealing someone else's hard gained permission?

You dont try, you dont get is what I've learned.  And it's a cutthroat sport , So no I'm not stealing. I'm simply offering, and the land owner has the say at the end of the day

I share my only permission, I'm not greedy and I take newcomers out who are looking to get into shooting. 

9 minutes ago, clangerman said:

I always go with (would you like me to keep them of for you) looking the part is half the job if your there ready to go it’s much more tempting to say yes 

I will bare this in mind when I'm out and about in future. 

2 minutes ago, TVPC said:

You dont try, you dont get is what I've learned.  And it's a cutthroat sport , So no I'm not stealing. I'm simply offering, and the land owner has the say at the end of the day

absolutely correct farmers own the perm not half a job joe never lost a perm but had more than one farmer kick mr slacker of and ring me 

5 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Some fascinating viewpoints in this thread!

I do hope that you never have your permission stolen because you weren't there one day due to work or illness or even a holiday!

zero chance if unavailable I will have someone on a field next day every time without fail it’s one of the ways I keep my perms no such thing as stealing a perm your there to get a job done nothing else 

9 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Some fascinating viewpoints in this thread!

I do hope that you never have your permission stolen because you weren't there one day due to work or illness or even a holiday!

How else would you get a permission then? I understand that loyalty involved etc. But I have also at times had a knock back but been told they havent seen their regular guy for a while.  So how do you weigh it up. 

The one thing I've learned about shooting is that everyone looks after themselves. 

I'm not trying to sound obstinate. Just giving my observations 

6 minutes ago, TVPC said:

How else would you get a permission then? I understand that loyalty involved etc. But I have also at times had a knock back but been told they havent seen their regular guy for a while.  So how do you weigh it up. 

The one thing I've learned about shooting is that everyone looks after themselves. 

I'm not trying to sound obstinate. Just giving my observations 

if you ever get someone crying this is my perm just tell them to take it up with the farmer you never see them again! 

My best advice is don’t start with the whole farm. Identify one field of OSR, and ask if you can just shoot that until the crop matures, say all access will be on foot. Prove your worth, dont live in in the farmers pocket, check in occasionally with him/her occasionally, no more than once in every three weeks.