West Mercia Police

Andrew1874

I’ve been in contact with the firearms licensing department at West Mercia Police today.

I was told by them that they are only now processing grant / renewals for shotgun licences from August 2nd .

Anybody else suffering with waiting times of nearly 5 months . ? 

By my calculations, the earliest I can expect to see any return on my application is now April , does that seem excessive ?

Edited by Andrew1874

39 minutes ago, Andrew1874 said:

I’ve been in contact with the firearms licensing department at West Mercia Police today.

I was told by them that they are only now processing grant / renewals for shotgun licences from August 2nd .

By my calculations, the earliest I can expect to see any return on my application is now April , does that seem excessive ?

Ask for a section 7 via email?

15 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Yes it is excessive, they should do the job the public are paying them for. These Senior Managers...I refuse to call them police officers ... are beyond reproach, they need to drink less mineral water and do the job.

Good job really, senior firearms managers are civvies. It would be weird calling them police officers.

Also, please note hydration is VERY important. Please ensure you're drinking enough. :)

Edited by HantsRob

6 hours ago, HantsRob said:

Good job really, senior firearms managers are civvies. It would be weird calling them police officers.

Also, please note hydration is VERY important. Please ensure you're drinking enough.

Don't fet yourself  I have a nice Scotch in hand at the moment. 

About time THEY got the job done as well but the orders come from the over educated idiots in charge.

On 24/01/2022 at 16:52, Andrew1874 said:

I'm going through renewal with West Mercia myself. 

My Certs expired on the 17th Jan, and was given an automatic extension for 8 weeks........ Although I had to fight for it.

I was advised that you can only have an extension if they received the renewal at least 8 weeks prior to expiry. They said to me that as they didn't receive the renewal until 22nd of Nov (I posted via special delivery and had a signature on the 19th Nov) I would have to lodge my guns.

Thing is.... 22nd Nov to 17th Jan is EXACTLY 8 weeks! I told them this and they have issued an extension now.

They also said at the time they were working on renewals that expire 10th Jan 2022..... So i'm confused as to why they have advised August the 2nd? 

On 27/01/2022 at 08:51, Sprucey said:

I'm going through renewal with West Mercia myself. 

My Certs expired on the 17th Jan, and was given an automatic extension for 8 weeks........ Although I had to fight for it.

I was advised that you can only have an extension if they received the renewal at least 8 weeks prior to expiry. They said to me that as they didn't receive the renewal until 22nd of Nov (I posted via special delivery and had a signature on the 19th Nov) I would have to lodge my guns.

Thing is.... 22nd Nov to 17th Jan is EXACTLY 8 weeks! I told them this and they have issued an extension now.

They also said at the time they were working on renewals that expire 10th Jan 2022..... So i'm confused as to why they have advised August the 2nd? 

Mine is a grant application.

Staffs Police also admin the West Mercia lot from what I can find out... my renewal (been an unbroken SGC holder since 1975, and since 1986 with Staffs) was due on 25th November. My application and Drs report was with them in second week of September, well ahead of the 8 weeks cut off. I have been advised that my extension on the extension will need to be extended again and not to expect my renewal to be processed this side of April....  it was over 9 months last time.

My mates been waiting since before the duck season and has finally had his interview a few weeks back  . No cert tho yet.

Since the Plymouth shooting my feo has has to go around interviewing current holders that have had any red flags at all ( me for one ) 

it’s really dropped them in the **** 💩. The area each feo has to cover is stupid and more needs to be done. This is a service we are all paying for and it’s not good enough.

1 minute ago, team tractor said:

My mates been waiting since before the duck season and has finally had his interview a few weeks back  . No cert tho yet.

Since the Plymouth shooting my feo has has to go around interviewing current holders that have had any red flags at all ( me for one ) 

it’s really dropped them in the **** 💩. The area each feo has to cover is stupid and more needs to be done. This is a service we are all paying for and it’s not good enough.

But that was caused by the Firearm licensing team in Plymouth

• 11 months later...

When you say that you had to fight for the extension, how did you manage to contact them. All I can see available is an online form which I am sure goes into an unread inbox, I have had a contact from one of the administrators, who I have written to; they contacted me originally to decline the application as the Drs report was on the wrong form despite all the information being the same (the form they actually publish on google search1) They then took the payment on the 7th Nov my renewal being 1st Feb so I am over the 8 weeks.