Probably illegal (or at least Section 1) but I want one

spandit

Unless you could have it in 9mm rimfire its a smooth bore "revolver gun" and therefore section 5. I think they were added to Section 5 to stop the perceived threat of the South African "Street sweeper" / Pancor Jackhammer (both evolutionary dead ends). 

I had a look at a wonderful Belgian black powder 12 bore revolver shotgun years ago. It was built on an upscaled Tranter action. 

Edited by theshootist

It is section 5(ad) if smoothbore. Classed as a "smooth-bore revolver gun". 1988 Firearms Act. Passed by government of that friend of shooting Tory Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher.

On 25/01/2022 at 08:56, theshootist said:

Unless you could have it in 9mm rimfire its a smooth bore "revolver gun" and therefore section 5. I think they were added to Section 5 to stop the perceived threat of the South African "Street sweeper" / Pancor Jackhammer (both evolutionary dead ends). 

I had a look at a wonderful Belgian black powder 12 bore revolver shotgun years ago. It was built on an upscaled Tranter action. 

Yes. Exactly this.

Edited by enfieldspares

11 hours ago, NoBodyImportant said:

The 410 is a fantastic round.  But it’s the same price as 12g so I prefer to sling twice the lead for the same price. That being said I had been loaded 410 all day trying to work up a good dove load.  

I'm currently using 2" 9 gram .410 shells to kill rats in my chicken pen. They don't like it! Love the .410. I'm going to have a proper go at clays this summer with it too. 

Also the TSS has made it a very capable long range gun apparently. 

3 hours ago, Jaymo said:

My apologies, not having watched the vid, I assumed either 9mm flobert or a rifled barrel firing shot shells as in a Taurus Judge whereby it’s chambered for 45 Colt/.410  

No. It's all very confusing. UK Law as you may know has the doctrine of expressed and implied repeal. That's to say if a later law is in contradiction to an earlier law that has not been expressly repealed then it will be held that the the earlier law is repealed anyway (implied repeal) by the later law.

So s5(ad) of Thatcher banned as others said the South African Armsel Striker. But Major when his handgun ban was passed contained this "nugget" in the Firearms (Amendment) Act 1997: 

Shot pistols used for shooting vermin

(1)The authority of the Secretary of State is not required by virtue of subsection (1)(aba) of section 5 of the 1968 Act for a person to have in his possession, or to purchase or acquire, or to sell or transfer, a shot pistol if he is authorised by a firearm certificate to have the shot pistol in his possession, or to purchase or acquire it, subject to a condition that it is only for use in connection with the shooting of vermin.

(2)For the purposes of this section, “shot pistol” means a smooth-bored gun which is chambered for .410 cartridges or 9mm rim-fire cartridges.

So it was argued that even though it was a "revolver gun" the Taurus Judge then was taken out of the provisions of Thatcher's Firearms Act 1988 s 5(ad) by this s4 (1) and s4 (2) of Major's Firearms (Amendment) Act 1996 as it was a "shot pistol".

It was my opinion that that was incorrect as s4 as abve reference and exempted weapons that would otherwise have been prohibited under s5 (aba) or the 1996 Act and did not therefore exempt weapons that the 1988 Act had prohibited under s5 (ad).

So there was this "Yes it is" and "No it isn't" to and fro with the Taurus Judge. Which was AFAIR eventually sort of resolved by poloce forces revoking all s1 authorities for those that had been granted them under the 1996 Act.

For like fox hunting although it may be difficult to create legal words that define what fox hunting actually is we all know when we see it if it is or if it isn't. The same with the Taurus Judge which was never what convention or custom would defined as a (traditional) "shot pistol".

Edited by enfieldspares