New Shotgun make.

cubix

Hello

With a budget of £600 - £700 which new makes of shotgun would you recommend or avoid? I know I could pick up a decent used one for that money, but it's a gift, so can't really be a used item. Weight is an issue for the user. The lighter the better.

12ga, game only.

I shoot with 15 year old Baikal which does me fine, so brand name bragging rights isn't a big concern. A decent gun for the money is the main aim.

Thanks.

9 minutes ago, cubix said:

Hello

With a budget of £600 - £700 which new makes of shotgun would you recommend or avoid? I know I could pick up a decent used one for that money, but it's a gift, so can't really be a used item. Weight is an issue for the user. The lighter the better.

12ga, game only.

I shoot with 15 year old Baikal which does me fine, so brand name bragging rights isn't a big concern. A decent gun for the money is the main aim.

Thanks.

Maybe giving the chancellor £140 off the real value of the gift?

The above point is a good one re gun fit. 

I would second the Yildiz recommendation. I have recently bought a 410 version after speaking with a few coaches and gun gurus. Delighted with it. Not all Turkish guns are what they should be however. There are some nasties out there. 

I believe Yildiz do a steel actioned clay gun now which retails for about £700. Worth a look…?

Or, if weight is an issue, apparently the ATA 'ladies' version has an ally action and a higher comb.  Unlike other 'lady' guns, it doesn't have silly girlie accoutrements like flower engravings.  3.5 years into owning my ATA, seems to be holding up well, and a lot of people report similar.

But again, why does it have to be new if it's a gift?

Either way, seems like your lucky benefactee and yourself should go to a place where you can try a selection of models at an attached clay ground...

2 hours ago, Dave at kelton said:

Yildiz. Bought a second hand one for my grandson and they are really good value for money!

I have been shooting Yilditz in 410 now for five seasons and only this season did I have to have the gun serviced and new springs fitted(£90)  I purchased a second identical shotgun as a spare but to be honest only have it so I can choose which chokes to take to each shoot and keep them fitted full time.  Lovely handy light gun which will do the job and often comes with some nice wood as well.   £575 to £695 for the 410 do not know what a 12 gauge would be.

1 hour ago, Smokersmith said:

That’s a constraint you’re placing on yourself. Don’t let it get in the way of buying a better or more suitable gun.

This.

My first gun was used and I still have it now, a 687 silver pigeon form the 80's. You can find very good second hand or even third hand guns, kept by owners who want to keep it in very good if not near new looking. One big thing that's been said is fit. 

Yildiz spmz new would be in your price range though if you do go down the new route. And are very nice little guns. I have the 410 model and it's a cracking little gun.

So from my experience, having been there recently.....

If you buy new, you do take a hit on resale value. Also a cheap gun can feel clunky.
I bought a 2007 Silver Pigeon, and it shoots beautifully. Sure it's not new, it had some minor marks. But I have a really good gun that will resell for about the same that I paid for it.

It's not a car, no stigma with second hand guns. 

If the shooter is new, gun fit is not as important, but it still has to fit! (Oxymoron?) 

4 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, I would take the recipient to a decent gun shop and buy something suitable that fits their LOP rather than buying blind, buying where you can try a few clays might help them get the right gun, it may dampen the surprise but he/she will have the right fitting gun

And given where the OP is worth a trip to Westlands Park where there is both a fantastic gun shop and clay ground.

9 hours ago, ShootingEgg said:

This.

My first gun was used and I still have it now, a 687 silver pigeon form the 80's. You can find very good second hand or even third hand guns, kept by owners who want to keep it in very good if not near new looking. One big thing that's been said is fit. 

Yildiz spmz new would be in your price range though if you do go down the new route. And are very nice little guns. I have the 410 model and it's a cracking little gun.

Hello, crikey if I had kept every shotgun I would need 10 cabinets 🤔🙄😁

23 hours ago, cubix said:

Hello

12ga, game only.

Thanks.

Would help if you say what kind of gun you are thinking of, bore ,  O/U ,SxS ,Pump , Auto . Clay , game etc. As well of the size age etc of the person you have in mind .

5 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, crikey if I had kept every shotgun I would need 10 cabinets 🤔🙄😁

I didn't buy it in the 80's I'd of been like 2 hahaha. It was made then.. I've kept it as I seem to be able to shoot with it. But Just saying that a used in good condition can be better than brand new. 😬😬😂

On 25/01/2022 at 08:13, ShootingEgg said:

This.

I've shot my 1985 687 today at clays. I wouldn't sell it they are brilliant for the money and not too heavy. Mine is the 28" model.