AT, All Weather and Normal tyres.

Lloyd90

Hello, 

Just a quick question; first time I am having to replace the tyres in my X-trail since buying it.

I doubt I need proper off road tyres, my off roading is only doing a few green lanes around the farm shoot, and then driving across a couple of green fields. 

Currently the car has winter tyres on it, which are the ones with came with. (I believe it was up in Scotland before coming down). 

I am looking at tyre options on Black Circles. 

As I said I doubt I need full on off road tyres, with the current winter tyres it had been fine getting about the shoot, I only almost got stuck twice, once in a really muddy gateway and once it slipped a bit on a very wet field until I got moving.

So considering ‘normal’ (summer) vs ‘all weather’ tyres… just wondering what the main difference will be. 

It’s rare we have proper winter weather in Bristol. 

Do all weather tyres provide any benefit off road at all? Or simply better in the cold on normal road? 

Also just out of curiosity, Considering that 95%+ of my driving is on road just how much of an impact would off road tyres (such as AT3 for example) have on driving experience and fuel etc?

Currently get about 35mpg in the auto X-trail with the winter tyres. 

I went through this process myself a little while ago. Still scraping last bit of use out of some geolanders, but settled on the bf urban terrain when I do replace them. Have a look at them, think they're aggressive enough for the little bit of off tarmac you're talking about, but also well suited to normal driving as well. 

Comparing standard vs. all-season tyres, you won't notice any difference in traction on the occasional slippery surfaces you describe - it's more about the vehicle's geometry, weight distribution and drive train characteristics than the tyres.  The only major difference you might notice is the noise on higher speed journeys is greater from the all-seasons.

I'd just plump for whatever reasonably priced, mid-range or above, standard tyre you want to fit, e.g. firestones.  I'd steer clear of budget tyres, they're false economy :)

FYI I have just replaced my faithful old '03 Vitara.  It had the standard hi2/hi4/lo4 transfer box and I fitted Insa Turbo Dakars to it (proper mud-pluggers).  I could literally go anywhere in it subject to ground clearance, which was its Achilles heel.  Replacement is an '06 CR-V, which only has a Haldex (viscous coupling) rather than transfer box so it's driven by the fronts as standard, and when the front axle starts to slip the rear can kick in to compensate.  When I bought it, the front tyres were both goosed, just standard budget tyres, and the rears were reasonable all-seasons.  I took it up the shoot for a laugh, went to a grassy slope where there's a hard track alongside so I could use gravity to drop back downhill onto the hard stuff, and gave it a go.  I don't think the front axle even slipped much to make the rear kick in, I was actually really impressed.  We're on clay soil here which goes really greasy after a dash of rain, and then just plain simply like soft butter during the wet part of the year.

I think your Nissan will perform similarly so I'd not fret about tyres :)

Edited by Jim Neal

I put Michelin  crossclimate on Subaru Outback. Can’t say they  great in the snow we have had none. I am sure they will be fine and I am wanting to try them. They are good in the wet which probably matter more in this country.

Had maxxis ap2 on before and they where great on the few times it snowed. Where a little louder on the motorway but the noise of the car is worse anyway. Lasted about 35k miles before been worn to the limit.

both have been decent on fields and farm tracks

Did have some Chinese branded “Sunnys” which where all season (with snowflake symbol) on my old ford focus. I would best describe them as dangerous in snow and and only lasted about 15k miles.  I suppose it was my only fault for buying a brand called sunny and expecting them to work when it wasn’t. 

3 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

2nd these. regularly get me in and out of grassy wet fields and muddy lanes and gateways. Also very good on those wet winter days when the roads are greasy and obviously any snow will be easily dealt with.

They are on my Rav4 AWD hybrid.  They work a treat. 

Try some winter rated all seasons. Wife has verdstein quatrac (new asytremic design) and I have used a couple of similiar designs (tyre reviews is a good place to start). Seen me fine across muddy fields and tracks and the wife's Honda jazz was great in 6 inch of snow, icy roads, wet roads etc etc. I wouldn't have summer tyres again unless it's a performance car and not used in wet/cold. The difference is night and day. Winter tyres don't do it all year. Winter rated all seasons (euro all season) are great and it's mostly the rubber. AT lack true Winter performance and you don't want to be found wanting. Having driven 100 mile round trips daily in both the 4x4 and the jazz, across the wolds, in blizzards and all sorts many many times I know where my money goes. 

How are people getting on with wear and damage to the cross climates? I was very keen on them, but reading up they seemed to have a very soft compound and there were warnings against using them off tarmac as they're not designed for it at all and it doesn't take much to wreck them. 

I have them on a skoda octavia scout. 25k miles and track / field driving round the shoot everytime and they are holding up really well with lots of tread left. I think they are great in the cold and wet. Ok in the summer and actually pretty good off road if its not deep mud. I also hear the newer cross climate 2s are even better. I would recommend them although I've not had the opportunity to test in the snow.

7 hours ago, bigroomboy said:

I have them on a skoda octavia scout. 25k miles and track / field driving round the shoot everytime and they are holding up really well with lots of tread left. I think they are great in the cold and wet. Ok in the summer and actually pretty good off road if its not deep mud. I also hear the newer cross climate 2s are even better. I would recommend them although I've not had the opportunity to test in the snow.

I am just looking at the Cross Climate 2's as well, generally they seem to be an improvement all around. 

Another vote for maxxis ap2 all season. I have on 4x4 yeti. Brilliant grip on and off road, I go up some rough spots, no bother to them. I bought them more for their grip, for off road than for snow. No extra road noise,  good wearing.  I did consider Michelin crossclimates but the difference in price was too much.  And the maxxis were highly rated. 

• 1 month later...
On 25/01/2022 at 19:44, Lloyd90 said:

Hello, 

Just a quick question; first time I am having to replace the tyres in my X-trail since buying it.

I doubt I need proper off road tyres, my off roading is only doing a few green lanes around the farm shoot, and then driving across a couple of green fields. 

Currently the car has winter tyres on it, which are the ones with came with. (I believe it was up in Scotland before coming down). 

I am looking at tyre options on Black Circles. 

As I said I doubt I need full on off road tyres, with the current winter tyres it had been fine getting about the shoot, I only almost got stuck twice, once in a really muddy gateway and once it slipped a bit on a very wet field until I got moving.

So considering ‘normal’ (summer) vs ‘all weather’ tyres… just wondering what the main difference will be. 

It’s rare we have proper winter weather in Bristol. 

Do all weather tyres provide any benefit off road at all? Or simply better in the cold on normal road? 

Also just out of curiosity, Considering that 95%+ of my driving is on road just how much of an impact would off road tyres (such as AT3 for example) have on driving experience and fuel etc?

Currently get about 35mpg in the auto X-trail with the winter tyres. 

What tyres did you decide to fit?

I also replaced the tyres on my VW Tiguan with Michelin Cross Climate 2's, I had CC's on my last Tiguan and they were very good.

It's worth checking prices on these, Black Circles are normally pretty expensive, the best price I got was on the Asda tyres website.

Cat.😎