Any good shooting grounds near Hythe, Hampshire?

Smudger687

4 hours ago, Fellside said:

45 miles isn’t so terrible…..!?

Unless it’s hilly and your using a pushbike …….😁

Have you ever tried to drive past or near Bournemouth in the summer? I am guessing not or you'd know that trip would be horrific!! 

4 hours ago, Dasher said:

I can't say I've ever had to wait much at Ower especially if you start after lunch. Spitfire is very good.

A round took 2.5 hours for me and 2 persons starting at 10am last weekend. It appeared to be busier after lunch.

Careful with the S word.... it triggers the poor fella :D

18 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I suppose you're not allowed to use the company helicopter then?   

aha nearly got a go in the old fixed wing! Someone ruined for everyone else with their vom though.

The helicopter would be awesome but apparently they need to keep it available in case someone needs it more. Rude.

I don't consider 45 miles too far to go and shoot decent targets. We did 95 miles each way last Sunday to shoot Hangmanstone. A friend of mine from Cornwall regularly travels to Owls Lodge and Westfield to shoot. Best part of 300 miles there and back. You have to be keen mind.

3 hours ago, Wylye said:

I don't consider 45 miles too far to go and shoot decent targets. We did 95 miles each way last Sunday to shoot Hangmanstone. A friend of mine from Cornwall regularly travels to Owls Lodge and Westfield to shoot. Best part of 300 miles there and back. You have to be keen mind.

I am fortunate to be able to afford to shoot as often as I like, and I have travelled around 70 miles each way to shoot with a friend. So I don't disagree.

Some households can't afford the time or expense to travel 140 miles round trip on top of a shoot, time usually being a precious commodity around young children. 

Cornwall to Owls regularly? Ouch, respect to that trip... Is that for CPSA comps or just for fun? Richard does host a good comp.

Clearly I am in the minority when it comes to distances people are willing to travel, or what I consider good grounds :lol:

I think 45 miles each way for clay shooting is enough to put me off doing it, and that's not really conducive to getting through rounds and regular practice. 

Second, I really don't like spitfire. How hard can it be to keep the traps topped up and the batteries charged!?! It's not like the staff there are overworked, as they never change the bloody layout. ******* spitfire...

They did actually change the layout for the new year, but you won't notice much difference. Only 2-3 birds changed noticeably. I guess due to the physical landscape it's hard to change a lot of it, and they still need the few easy birds for newbies.

I went to Lains yesterday and only 5 sporting traps makes for a quiet and quick round, although 1 stand is a bit of a tickle. But, as always I enjoyed the incomers stand! Skeet isn't worth bothering with, and I need some shooting company to ideally do the 30 bird shootout. It is possible with 2 guns but need to reload quicker :D

13 hours ago, HantsRob said:

I am fortunate to be able to afford to shoot as often as I like, and I have travelled around 70 miles each way to shoot with a friend. So I don't disagree.

Some households can't afford the time or expense to travel 140 miles round trip on top of a shoot, time usually being a precious commodity around young children. 

Cornwall to Owls regularly? Ouch, respect to that trip... Is that for CPSA comps or just for fun? Richard does host a good comp.

It’s only worth travelling that far for competitions. For a mess about anywhere will do.... well almost anywhere.

17 hours ago, Wylye said:

Newbury right? Berkshires only registered club.

How was it? I really should give it a try as it's only 25 miles away. If you're up again on a registered, give me a holla? Would be good to have someone to point and laugh at my efforts rather than going solo :D