Renewal advice

Eaf70

Good morning folks,

Just after a bit of advice regarding my renewal that's due in July, I'm with Lanc's constabulary and need to provide a completed medical form, I'm just wondering how previous can the medical form be sent to the doctors as I'm keen to get the ball rolling and get it in to the quacks before he decides to charge more than the £ 40 that's payable at the moment plus I like to be ahead when it comes to things like this.

Many thanks in advance.

8 hours ago, Eaf70 said:

Good morning folks,

Just after a bit of advice regarding my renewal that's due in July, I'm with Lanc's constabulary and need to provide a completed medical form, I'm just wondering how previous can the medical form be sent to the doctors as I'm keen to get the ball rolling and get it in to the quacks before he decides to charge more than the £ 40 that's payable at the moment plus I like to be ahead when it comes to things like this.

Many thanks in advance.

Have you had the renewal letter yet?

That will tell you when they want you to put it all together and send it in.

These days it will invariably be an online submission only.

29 minutes ago, miki said:

Here you go, pages 20 and 21 ....  Lancs Firearms Application pack

If the Doctors are going to charge get a written quote first and a delivery date  ... Medcert are £60

Thank you, I've already printed the pack out but that is very good advice regarding the price and delivery I'd not thought of that.

On 26/01/2022 at 09:13, old man said:

Who knows really, common sense says they would want the latest information to hand?

Save yourself the stress, just use MedCert for their openly declared fee when the report is called for?,

Please everyone, before you spend any money with Medcert, check that your police force accepts reports from them. Some forces insist on a report from the applicant's practice. Don't make the mistake some have and spend money on a Medcert report only to find it's worthless.

Edited by Listy

4 hours ago, Gordon R said:

I don't see how any Police Force could ask for a report for the applicant's own Practice, if that Practice deosn't supply medical reports.

It happens, thankfully only infrequently but just last week I spoke to someone in this position. Their GP won’t complete the form and their police force won’t accept either a third party report or an application without one. They’re in discussions with their medical practice in the hope another GP will provide one.

In any event it’s somewhat immaterial. Most practices are fully committed with the Coronavirus pandemic and have little time for additional work even if the applicant’s paying for it.

Edited by Listy

40 minutes ago, Listy said:

Most practices are fully committed with the Coronavirus pandemic and have little time for additional work even if the applicant’s paying for it.

I'd not agree with that. As most surgeries are profit driven, I would suggest a healthy income comes from reports and things they sign. 

It is typically the administrators and not the GPs who are arranging vaccinations and communications, the GPs haven't been swamped with additional administrative work that has caused the issue. 

As for covid workload, having spoken and seen my GP last week, she has stated that they're working a lot more smartly and online which has freed up a lot of time which outweighs what work Covid has caused.

I am sure neither of us have facts and figures, but I really don't think your statement is valid based on something a GP has stated, with how surgeries have finally dragged themselves into the 21st century, and how easy many members are still getting a health report if their county is allowing new grant applications.

I'd be interested to hear a counter discussion on what you know as fact as to how most practices are fully committed (meaning no scope for any possible work like checking medical records) with the pandemic, and how much workload the GPs have extra to take them over their capacity. Also I am not sure how they can be fully committed but still have a little time for additional work?