Armsan a612 questions

flippermaj

So I have taken a dip back into the "dark side" and have my hands on a used Armsan a612.

It looks to have done little work so I took it as it was for a few test shots with Eley eco steel 32grm

Out of a dozen or so shots it failed to load the second cartridge most times.   The spent cartridge ejected just fine and the second one cycled up but failed to chamber, it was fully visible as the mechanism stopped with the bolt back and the cartridge up and almost in line with the chamber but not moved forward.

I took it home and stripped and oiled it as it looked bone dry and it was clean anyway but I gave it the once over, checked the ports, O ring etc.

From new do these Armsans need any running in?  I may try a box of 36grm steel through it tomorrow.

A couple of other questions.  The bolt release button is very hard to press in compared to other autos I have come across, the easeiest way is to slightly pull the bolt back with one hand thus releasing some pressure on the bolt release button and at the same time with the other hand press the bolt release  button.  Is this normal, seems a bit of a faff?

The sling swivel stud is missing from the stock, I guess it has been ripped out and the thread wrecked.  Would the best fix be to get a replacement and araldite it in place?

Finally, it only came with one choke that has 5 notches marked on it, it seems very open, anyone know what choke the 5 represents?

Cheers

Flipper

Hey Flipper

5 notches I believe is cylinder. Aka no choke. 

I have this gun and it cycles 28g very nicely, and have even shot some 24g through it with no real drama. I'd sell you a choke(s) but TBH they look a little worn, you could get better on here. 

The non-cycling? No idea. My A612 was used but with a new spring, but if yours is new you shouldn't need the spring checked. If it's not new, measure the length of your spring vs the stated length of a new spare spring.

The bolt release is stiff. I have to turn the gun and use my thumb or indeed cock back slightly for it to release. I think this is fairly standard with this gun but at least the firm positive button means it can't accidentally release.

As for the strap loop, would just be easier to use a gun slip to carry it around as then there's no drama about the safety flag?

Mine was new when I bought it and has probably had 5000 carts through it and maybe acted up twice, not cycling (most likely due to me using too light a load).  As already said, keep it clean and it shouldn't give any trouble. I've not noticed the lever release button being overly stiff, but then I am a ham fisted oik.

Edited by adzyvilla
autocorrect ruining my wonderful prose

So I investigated further today and fired some 3 inch steel and 70mm 42grm lead loads through it.  Jammed every time and it was clear to see why.   Every time the next shell was lifted up to be loaded it didn't get lifted high enough to line up with the chamber, or it was prevented from being lifted high enough by the bolt coming forward to early.  I have posted a picture below of where the shell is when it jams and you can clearly see the miss alignment.  

I also noticed that the shell lifter sticks out below the lines of the gun when the bolt is fully home.

So I took it to the local gun shop so that I could compare it to a working one!    The shell lifetr should not sit as low as it does.  Also the bolt release button worked fine on the new ones so there is clearly something wrong with mine.

It's still with the gunshop but does anyone have any ideas whats going on to cause this miss alignment?

34DA7C49-A878-4C80-AD1C-1F24552B4818.jpeg

F6BA8258-6AA3-4E32-9A53-E1BFB2ABB489.jpeg

On 27/01/2022 at 18:09, flippermaj said:

So I have taken a dip back into the "dark side" and have my hands on a used Armsan a612.

It looks to have done little work so I took it as it was for a few test shots with Eley eco steel 32grm

Out of a dozen or so shots it failed to load the second cartridge most times.   The spent cartridge ejected just fine and the second one cycled up but failed to chamber, it was fully visible as the mechanism stopped with the bolt back and the cartridge up and almost in line with the chamber but not moved forward.

I took it home and stripped and oiled it as it looked bone dry and it was clean anyway but I gave it the once over, checked the ports, O ring etc.

From new do these Armsans need any running in?  I may try a box of 36grm steel through it tomorrow.

A couple of other questions.  The bolt release button is very hard to press in compared to other autos I have come across, the easeiest way is to slightly pull the bolt back with one hand thus releasing some pressure on the bolt release button and at the same time with the other hand press the bolt release  button.  Is this normal, seems a bit of a faff?

The sling swivel stud is missing from the stock, I guess it has been ripped out and the thread wrecked.  Would the best fix be to get a replacement and araldite it in place?

Finally, it only came with one choke that has 5 notches marked on it, it seems very open, anyone know what choke the 5 represents?

Cheers

Flipper

they use mobil chokes so lots of them around,ive used the a620 for about 8 years now,

Just while we’re waiting for the OP to get his gun fixed - quick A612 question please. 

What is recoil like with this gun compared to other gas autos?

Thinking about getting one, as hearing good things about them, and shouldered one that fits perfectly. My MAIN INTEREST though is soft shooting throughout long days on pigeons. 

1 hour ago, adzyvilla said:

Cant say I've noticed the recoil being any better or worse than other semi autos I've used (beretta and winchester), but then I did fit a big rubber ventilated pad to extend the stock which might make a difference. Used it on several long days without any discomfort.

Thanks for that - good to know. 

16 minutes ago, HantsRob said:

I can get tired and achey after 200 rounds on an OU. On my A612 I am sure I could do twice that before moaning. 

Cheap and cheerful "does what it's supposed to" vibe.

Thanks for that HantsRob.

I know what you mean by tired and achey re the O/U. Last year I did a full slab of 30 gram cart’s one day then the same the next. Have you ever heard of shell shock….?? 🙂

This is what started my search for something more forgiving. So minimising recoil is the main driver. Think I will give one a try. 

On 27/01/2022 at 19:43, HantsRob said:

5 notches I believe is cylinder. Aka no choke.

I think 5 notches is actually skeet, with no notches referring to cylinder iirc. 

1 minute ago, Fellside said:

I know what you mean by tired and achey re the O/U. Last year I did a full slab of 30 gram cart’s one day then the same the next. Have you ever heard of shell shock….?? 🙂

This is what started my search for something more forgiving. So minimising recoil is the main driver. Think I will give one a try. 

You could always look at getting a heavier O/U? Additional weight isn't necessarily a bad thing provided it's all balanced. 

Just now, Smudger687 said:

I think 5 notches is actually skeet, with no notches referring to cylinder iirc. 

You could always look at getting a heavier O/U? Additional weight isn't necessarily a bad thing provided it's all balanced. 

Yes your right. I used to have a heavy sporter and they are more recoil absorbing. Just thought the auto may go the extra step. I have to confess though - I have had little experience of them. I think a ‘try before you buy’ experience could be the way……?

17 minutes ago, Fellside said:

Definitely try. Yes a heavy ou will absorb. But a semi is super light with no recoil. 
If you’re ever down in Hampshire I’d happily let you blat on mine. It shoots slightly differently and in a cage you can hear it cycle, but definitely good for a bad shoulder!

15 minutes ago, Smudger687 said:

image.jpeg.566d22d0e0dc2c39ab5736b615556017.jpeg

14 minutes ago, Fellside said:

Yes your right. I used to have a heavy sporter and they are more recoil absorbing. Just thought the auto may go the extra step. I have to confess though - I have had little experience of them. I think a ‘try before you buy’ experience could be the way……?

You may find that if you're used to fixed breech guns that the recoil impulse on a semiauto feels very alien to you (as it does to me). Doesn't mean that you can't get used to it, of course.

With that said, I don't think that a gas-operated mechanism will do more to reduce recoil than the tried and trusted method of just adding mass. My OU is heavy enough such that it handles 3.5 inch homeloads quite comfortably - I think even if a semiauto made a difference, is it enough to make a difference?

3 minutes ago, HantsRob said:

Definitely try. Yes a heavy ou will absorb. But a semi is super light with no recoil. 
If you’re ever down in Hampshire I’d happily let you blat on mine. It shoots slightly differently and in a cage you can hear it cycle, but definitely good for a bad shoulder!

image.jpeg.566d22d0e0dc2c39ab5736b615556017.jpeg

Choke sizing chart

Looks like it goes either way!

Edited by Smudger687

6 minutes ago, HantsRob said:

Aha different sites different rules. I could break out my spare chokes to check if I had the energy.  

I hear what you’re saying about weight reducing recoil. But a heavier gun is more tiring to lift for 300 rounds. I’d prefer a heavier OU but a semi has its place 

That's true enough. Ultimately Mr Fellside will have to try and see which is preferred. Given that he intends to use this in the pigeon hide, the extra shot of a semiauto may prove to be the deciding factor. 

I have the armsan sa. A620 . In 20b 

It can fire 24  - 32 grm loads .

The 32 s  obviously recoil more than the 24s .

But the 32s are just fine in it and don't kick too hard at all , infact compared to my light weight (heavier than the sa. Armsan )  20b ou.  Its a pussy cat .the biggest load I used to put in the sa. Was 28 grm and I preferred the 24s as they were less punchy .

Oh I sold the ou. And kept the sa.  And bought  a 12b sa. As well (though that's an ata). And that's soft with 34 grm loads .

I find the biggest advantage  of a sa. Over an ou. Is the ability  to stay on target for your second (and third shot ) .the smoother action means the gun doesn't jump off target as much and that second shot is as composed as the first. Instead of rushed or flustered after a heavy recoil cycle .

Edited by Ultrastu

On 09/02/2022 at 22:30, Ultrastu said:

I have the armsan sa. A620 . In 20b 

It can fire 24  - 32 grm loads .

The 32 s  obviously recoil more than the 24s .

But the 32s are just fine in it and don't kick too hard at all , infact compared to my light weight (heavier than the sa. Armsan )  20b ou.  Its a pussy cat .the biggest load I used to put in the sa. Was 28 grm and I preferred the 24s as they were less punchy .

Oh I sold the ou. And kept the sa.  And bought  a 12b sa. As well (though that's an ata). And that's soft with 34 grm loads .

I find the biggest advantage  of a sa. Over an ou. Is the ability  to stay on target for your second (and third shot ) .the smoother action means the gun doesn't jump off target as much and that second shot is as composed as the first. Instead of rushed or flustered after a heavy recoil cycle .

Thanks Ultrastu. I’m looking forward to trying one now.