im in the position shortly to get a good system ...TV....sound bar.....Blue ray

• i dont need sky
  • i need free view
  • tv needs to be at least 4k res
  • i watch films (DVD's).hence needing a quality picture
  • needs to be 48" to 55"
  • will be viewing at 12 feet min
  • wont be connecting to Google

what systems do you run what is the quality like..........

im not saying money is no object....but if it is the dogs gadgets i will splash out

WHAT HAVE YOU GOT ...WHAT DO YOU RECOMMEND

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello, just bought a new Sharp, my son set it up wireless for free view and catch up TV, there's been a few niggles on this but the picture is good, if your only wanting free view and not internet connect it's not a bad TV, Tesco special offer, I think this is 48 , not tried a blue ray DVD player, I did up grade the wall TV socket to a new type, it was £250

29 minutes ago, ditchman said:

im in the position shortly to get a good system ...TV....sound bar.....Blue ray

• i dont need sky
  • i need free view
  • tv needs to be at least 4k res
  • i watch films (DVD's).hence needing a quality picture
  • needs to be 48" to 55"
  • will be viewing at 12 feet min
  • wont be connecting to Google

what systems do you run what is the quality like..........

im not saying money is no object....but if it is the dogs gadgets i will splash out

WHAT HAVE YOU GOT ...WHAT DO YOU RECOMMEND

Since you have itemised your needs in detail then it's simple........ SONY 2021 or 2022 model

I would spend some time on Sony official website

2 minutes ago, GingerCat said:

I do like Sony and Samsung tv's.  Sony picture quality is great. Go to curry's have a look and find something you like and then buy it cheaper somewhere else  

This,

Sony are great but they do not warrant the extra money over a Samsung.

I would go Samsung, better value for your money. I'd also buy it from John Lewis, you get an extended warranty at no extra cost. And they price match.

13 minutes ago, mgsontour said:

Since you have itemised your needs in detail then it's simple........ SONY 2021 or 2022 model

I would spend some time on Sony official website

We bought a Sony TV and sound bar 6 years ago.

Excellent picture and sound.

Viewing 4k viewing like Netflix requires a fast Internet around 20 meg. To view 4k at its best you need to be close to the screen so at 12 feet away go for a big screen say upto maybe 60 inch . Most tv have freesat on board if you have a Sat dish then it's great to use freesat , better picture quality . How good is your TV ariel.  About the only providers for 4K VIEWING  are Netflix and Prime,

I love Samsung TV 's. Like said go somewere were you can view them and choose for yourself what image you prefer to watch . Try and buy one that has a five year warranty.  

Even though you buy a 4k TV and there is not a lot of 4k about the TV  will still upgrade programs to 1080p. 

25 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

This,

Sony are great but they do not warrant the extra money over a Samsung.

I would go Samsung, better value for your money. I'd also buy it from John Lewis, you get an extended warranty at no extra cost. And they price match.

You used to be correct sir in what you say, Samsung's make really good TV's but only support their software updates for crica 5 years and there are problems with John Lewis customer service it has plummeted lately, the OP has a healthy budget and sounds to me from his post he is after quality.

22 minutes ago, johnphilip said:

Viewing 4k viewing like Netflix requires a fast Internet around 20 meg. To view 4k at its best you need to be close to the screen so at 12 feet away go for a big screen say upto maybe 60 inch . Most tv have freesat on board if you have a Sat dish then it's great to use freesat , better picture quality . How good is your TV ariel.  About the only providers for 4K VIEWING  are Netflix and Prime,

I love Samsung TV 's. Like said go somewere were you can view them and choose for yourself what image you prefer to watch . Try and buy one that has a five year warranty.  

Even though you buy a 4k TV and there is not a lot of 4k about the TV  will still upgrade programs to 1080p. 

the tv as i said will not be connected to the internet ...period.............i want superb quality when i watch films of my choice thro the blue ray............then the rest of the viewing will be freeview..........

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

my budget is about £1500

Hello, that would get you a super top of the range TV and sound System , and a Blue ray DVD, and have change 🤔😁

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, just bought a new Sharp, my son set it up wireless for free view and catch up TV, there's been a few niggles on this but the picture is good, if your only wanting free view and not internet connect it's not a bad TV, Tesco special offer, I think this is 48 , not tried a blue ray DVD player, I did up grade the wall TV socket to a new type, it was £250

Trying to give the old one away is like 🙄🤔😁

7 minutes ago, ditchman said:

what about viewing the new DVD's ?

Ok we have blue Ray  and  now 4k dvd players , the 4k dvd players are expensive  and so are the disc , there was not a lot of 4 k dvd disks   when I last looked awhile ago .

The problem is they designed  the tech , I.e. 4 k tv's  but the people who supply and broadcast are via Internet  . At the moment  the only way to watch 4 k  so unless you are buying a 4k dvd player there is no need for a 4 k tv . All your 4k tv will do is upscale the picture to is 1080p . 

If your only watching freeview then you need the best ariel  to give you best image quality . There is no point in have a top spec tv , if the signal is not that good .

I have freeview and freesat . I find that freesat is better for me due to were my tv radio mast is . Most smart tv's have both built in . So no need to buy the separate  boxes.  I use a Samsung  soundboard to match my Samsung tv  . Modern tv are great but lacking in sound quality . A 60 inch screen may look very big when you first get it , but then you get used to it , and in time you will say wish I had got bigger . They are amazing and you realy sit close to them and not hurt your eyes 

55 minutes ago, Weihrauch17 said:

They are not a TV brand just a showroom to have a look in, he doesn't have to buy there if he can get cheaper elsewhere.  What a stupid statement.

The service in curry’s is absolute rubbish .that’s not just my experience.I’ve been kept waiting while they finish chatting.Took things back  and asked questions about electrical items they were unable to answer. It’s as though the staff have not had any training.So why is that in your opinion a stupid statement??

Dvd has a max resolution of  720x480 

Bluray is 1920x 1080 (standard nowadays) 

Bluray 4k is 3840 x 2160 (though the films are super expensive, and usually so are the players.) 

You dont get 4k dvd players

Dont get dvds and blurays confused just because both are 'discs'. Blurays wont work in a dvd player, dvds will work in a bluray player. 

Ill add that generally dragging out a dvd quality of picture to a 55inch or bigger screen can make it look ****, even after its tried to 'upscale'. I wont go into frame rate /hz.

Most people i know just stream everything now - me inc, which seems isnt a option for you. So honestly, get a decent samsung/lg/sony, bluray player, test a few soundbars and you'll be fine.

Amazon or john lewis when youve made your mind up. 

25 minutes ago, dipper said:

The service in curry’s is absolute rubbish .that’s not just my experience.I’ve been kept waiting while they finish chatting.Took things back  and asked questions about electrical items they were unable to answer. It’s as though the staff have not had any training.So why is that in your opinion a stupid statement??

Agree. They are absolute tools. One tried to refuse me to allow me to buy my tv because it was cheaper than some, so went on to say they wouldnt uphold the warrenty if it went wrong 😂 salisbury currys in a nutshell. 

Edited by strimmer_13

I bought an LG Oled C something or other, once I got over the shock of how thin it was and no nailsed it to the wall, I was stunned. I’m not a big telly watching fan, but some of the pictures I casually glance at are unreal. The youngest grandson is a big fan of the Lion King film, the CGI one and the detail is ridiculous. There’s moisture on the lion’s gums and the whiskers are something to behold. Blueray films are stunning, as is the football and rugby.

I honestly believe I see things clearer on the screen, than I do in real life, if that makes sense.

Would readily recommend an LG Oled. They have them on in Currys so you can see for yourself and they’ve got a sale on, with £ 100 off most models at the moment. Ours is set on the showroom setting, so it’s at its optimum level.

As ChrisO has just said - if stunning image quality is the number one priority then OLED (Organic Light Emitting Diode) TV is the way to go.

Most of the other TV technologies use an LCD panel with some sort of backlight - so LEDs illuminate the back of the screen and provide the visible light you can see as the image on the front - the challenge being the darker colours down to black as they inevitable bleed (like a dim glow) some of the backlight luminance so black isn't absolutely totally black - if you have never noticed then it won't worry you - if you have then, well, sorry because you will now 🙄

An OLED screen (as found in some of the better Smartphones like a modern Samsung Galaxy S) doesn't have a backlight but rather provides the image brightness from within the display itself - the result is very black blacks and subtle grey-scale (so the finest shadings down to pure black) with very accurate colour reproduction and stunningly bright whites.   There are movies on Netflix that are encoded for something called 'Dolby Vision' that make an OLED panel absolutely pop - eye candy material/incredibly life like.  

However - as Strimmer_13 has already said watching DVDs and even Blu-Rays isn't going to give you absolutely stunning picture quality say a 4K OLED panel is capable of though the panels have 'Upscaling' where they try to work out what's missing to display a quality picture so will have a very, very good stab at it.  We should also note that many of the movie studios have stopped producing DVDs altogether now in the same way as supermarkets are no longer stocking them - its a dying technology as most new content is streamed.

9 hours ago, ChrisO said:

Ours is set on the showroom setting, so it’s at its optimum level.

showroom settings are just what they are named for - to make up for the environment of the showroom and to try and make them pop out etc. Google your model number with AVForums and try some of the settings you will find on there - they might blow your mind as to what the screen can do.

Samsung have some very interesting tech coming out this year -  Supposed to be very good and increases the brightness of OLED with some lateral thinking but no idea on what the cost is but I have always found Samsung to make things cartoon like in the colours but that may be just me.

I have no complaints with Sony - screens lasting well (we have 2 of various ages - one is around 13 years old) - the current range has some where the speakers are actually the screen!!

2021 TV's are about to be replaced with their new brethren for 2022 and there will be good prices to have on 21 models. A place to keep an eye on is www.hotukdeals.com to see what is available at good prices - there has been a 55" LG OLED on there at £1200'ish from COSTCO this week with the 65" not being that much more.

Hope it helps @ditchman