More fuel to the fire

27 minutes ago, bluesj said:

But the OP is about a commercial shoot and someone employed by them disposing of commercial waste by chucking it in a pit. On sit burial of abp has been against the law for around 25 years.

It seems that a lot on here and elsewhere can't see a problem with flouting the law and all the bad press it can bring to shooting but what the **** at least someone save the £20 disposal bill!

I think you’re confusing 2 separate points. You were trying to suggest that my discarding of shot vermin etc in the countryside is illegal. It isn’t. It’s also worth remembering that nature has a tremendous capacity for decomposition - and in many ways is actually reliant upon it. 

However, if you wish to revisit the original post, healthy wild birds are not included within the scope of the legislation you refer to. Their carcasses are exempt unless they are found to be diseased. 

While there is some degree of legal uncertainty re pheasants being wild or ‘stock’, DEFRA have tended to lean towards them being a wild entity. Currently therefore, it would be very difficult for anyone to be prosecuted for disposing of pheasant waste. 

While many might consider dumping large quantities of game unethical (as I do), and downright reckless in PR terms, it isn’t actually illegal at present. 

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Fellside said:

I think you’re confusing 2 separate points. You were trying to suggest that my discarding of shot vermin etc in the countryside is illegal. It isn’t. It’s also worth remembering that nature has a tremendous capacity for decomposition - and in many ways is actually reliant upon it. 

However, if you wish to revisit the original post, healthy wild birds are not included within the scope of the legislation you refer to. Their carcasses are exempt unless they are found to be diseased. 

While there is some degree of legal uncertainty re pheasants being wild or ‘stock’, DEFRA have tended to lean towards them being a wild entity. Currently therefore, it would be very difficult for anyone to be prosecuted for disposing of pheasant waste. 

While many might consider dumping large quantities of game unethical (as I do), and downright reckless in PR terms, it isn’t actually illegal at present. 

So why do you think game dealers & pro stalkers pay to get rid of their waste, if they could just dump it in a ditch? Could it be because they are a business in the same way that most shoots are?

You should understand there is a difference in the rules depending on if you are a business or not and how or where the carcases are processed. DEFRA  don't tend to up hold the rules but its not the only rules they over look partly I think because they rules are a bit vague and almost impossible to prove.

But I can only go on what I've been told by DEFRA.

Edited by bluesj

2 hours ago, bluesj said:

So why do you think game dealers & pro stalkers pay to get rid of their waste, if they could just dump it in a ditch? Could it be because they are a business in the same way that most shoots are?

You should understand there is a difference in the rules depending on if you are a business or not and how or where the carcases are processed. DEFRA  don't tend to up hold the rules but its not the only rules they over look partly I think because they rules are a bit vague and almost impossible to prove.

But I can only go on what I've been told by DEFRA.

Gordon Bennett - this is becoming a little circular now..!!

If it’s been processed by a business (in volume) for profit then yes it is waste. The unfortunate chap in the OP did not break the law in this regard - especially as the volume was low. It’s worth noting that no police involvement has been reported. Equally if someone left a dozen crows in the crop they were shot over - that too is perfectly legal. 

Professional stalkers and game dealers pay for waste removal as they are a commercial processing opp’ - like a fishmonger. However, as far as I’m aware the stalkers are still entitled to leave gralloched remains out in the field. In fact they must to preserve carcass condition. 

I think we have digressed from the main point however - that is to recognise that the BBC and LACS have orchestrated a vicious and unjustified sting. The only ‘crime’ committed is one of gross stupidity on behalf of the shoot - which has embarrassed the shooting community. 

10 hours ago, Fellside said:

Gordon Bennett - this is becoming a little circular now..!!

If it’s been processed by a business (in volume) for profit then yes it is waste. The unfortunate chap in the OP did not break the law in this regard - especially as the volume was low. It’s worth noting that no police involvement has been reported. Equally if someone left a dozen crows in the crop they were shot over - that too is perfectly legal. 

Professional stalkers and game dealers pay for waste removal as they are a commercial processing opp’ - like a fishmonger. However, as far as I’m aware the stalkers are still entitled to leave gralloched remains out in the field. In fact they must to preserve carcass condition. 

I think we have digressed from the main point however - that is to recognise that the BBC and LACS have orchestrated a vicious and unjustified sting. The only ‘crime’ committed is one of gross stupidity on behalf of the shoot - which has embarrassed the shooting community. 

This, again. 
The last paragraph especially is a valid point indeed, and something of which any shooting man or shoot must now take heed.