Proof marks on my Browning

Harry Callahan

Evening! Proof marks are tiny on my Browning - trying to understand them and know if it's Ok to put steel shot through it. It's a B26 from 1976.

First pic is Belgian Proof?

IMG_20220128_201930_231.jpg.4ba0405a07a8271fa439f5ad6b649cb5.jpg

Which I think is this Nitro Superior Proof??

Screenshot_20220128-202351.png.7926e9da060e61f9b2c15e239d0674c5.png

Other pictures of other marks

IMG_20220128_202501_884.jpg.96b5130303f87e4a03b1fd769410f7cf.jpg

1672388400_IMG_20220128_203143_7312.jpg.55fb3a293e51680be56d8ab191f9a967.jpg

Last pic I've covered out the serial number. Top barrel has 'special steel 12g shells_23/4" '. And there's 2 stars and $ on both barrels

Pics are best I can get, hopefully they give all info.

Have I anything to worry about? Any info greatly appreciated

40 minutes ago, PeterHenry said:

Hate to throw this into the mix, but I've read that most Belgium made Brownings don't like even standard steel - the barrels  having a tendency to bulge.

I've no first hand experience of this (I only have a b425) - but just thought I'd mention it.

This is my worry...

Nobody used or would ever think of using steel shot when this was made .

You can shoot steel through any gun you like .There is no law or ruling . What is sensible is consider if the gun is strong enough for modern higher pressure cartridges , whether the chambers are long enough and if you want to risk potential damage to the barrels ,

With older guns as long as the chokes are not to tight [multi chokes are a much greater risk ] and it is nitro proofed then I seen no problem using standard steel loads .

Personally I wouldn't use steel in any gun I would not be bothered about if it was scrapped .

5 hours ago, Scully said:

If it’s nitro proofed, and ‘superior nitro proofed’ as the stamp indicates, then it’ll be fine for standard steel. 
Aren’t the Norwegians or Finns or some such nation putting steel through Damascus? 

3 hours ago, Gunman said:

You can shoot steel through any gun you like .There is no law or ruling . What is sensible is consider if the gun is strong enough for modern higher pressure cartridges , whether the chambers are long enough and if you want to risk potential damage to the barrels ,

With older guns as long as the chokes are not to tight [multi chokes are a much greater risk ] and it is nitro proofed then I seen no problem using standard steel loads .

Personally I wouldn't use steel in any gun I would not be bothered about if it was scrapped .

Both good points and absolutely relevant (I put steel through my AYA no2's) but there is the below from Brownings website - https://browning.eu/faqs.html - which I think is the source of concern.

3. DO NO USE ANY STEEL SHOT LOADS:
The Belgian-made Auto 5, Superposed, and other Belgian Over/Under models, Double Automatic, Auto 5 and all other models not listed in category 1 or 2. Note: Belgian Auto 5 barrels are interchangeable with the new Invector barrels which are made in Japan. With this new Invector barrel installed on the Belgian-made Auto 5 receiver, steel shot loads can be used.

Edited by PeterHenry

daily occurence this now, i think its time for basc and the birmingham and london proof houses to come to some arrangment where shooters can get guns reproofed. maybe a hadn full of temporary proof  houses around the country that can safely proof and stamp guns.  all the new guns people are gona by buying and all the influx in reproofing thats going to be sent in when lead finaly gets binned. is going to bottle neck the hell out of the industry 2 houses isnt going to be enough

1 hour ago, PeterHenry said:

Both good points and absolutely relevant (I put steel through my AYA no2's) but there is the below from Brownings website - https://browning.eu/faqs.html - which I think is the source of concern.

3. DO NO USE ANY STEEL SHOT LOADS:
The Belgian-made Auto 5, Superposed, and other Belgian Over/Under models, Double Automatic, Auto 5 and all other models not listed in category 1 or 2. Note: Belgian Auto 5 barrels are interchangeable with the new Invector barrels which are made in Japan. With this new Invector barrel installed on the Belgian-made Auto 5 receiver, steel shot loads can be used.

Yeah it's the concern. Love the gun, best fitting I've had. Owned it a while now and although isn't greatly expensive - it cost me enough! And it was bought with an eye to (hopefully) going up in value given time. Where is all this leaving guns like this? Don't really want to buy another

I'm presuming my identification of the proof stamp is correct as I've not been correct.

I've an old Norica 3-shot b/a .410 aswell, same boat...

6 hours ago, Gunman said:

This …….common sense.

7 hours ago, Gunman said:

Nobody used steel when my 101’s were made ( 1963 ish to the mid 80’s ish ) and especially not in the UK anyhow,  but they all handle steel, even the GE, although it wouldn’t be comfortable with the latter over a long period as it’s such a light gun. 
The Browning 2000 even at 3/4 choke is capable of handling steel also, and that isn’t a modern gun either. 
It’s up to the individual like you say, but any gun in nitro proof should be capable of handling steel shot. 
I read an article some time ago about the Norwegians (?) putting steel through Damascus barrels, but have no idea if this is standard or HP steel. 
The only way to find out if your gun can handle it is to either use it or submit it for reproof, as some are doing with older K32’s and Perazzis. 
Alternatively just stick to lead, it isn’t banned. 
As an aside, those who own older Winchesters should be aware that their habit of stamping the barrels ‘Winchester Superior Proofed steel’, is a sales slogan in reference to the barrels, and is no indication of steel shot proofing, that still requires a fleur delys. 

19 hours ago, Harry Callahan said:

Yeah it's the concern. Love the gun, best fitting I've had. Owned it a while now and although isn't greatly expensive - it cost me enough! And it was bought with an eye to (hopefully) going up in value given time. Where is all this leaving guns like this? Don't really want to buy another

I'm presuming my identification of the proof stamp is correct as I've not been correct.

I've an old Norica 3-shot b/a .410 aswell, same boat...

I'd guess so - it does look like the superior proof. 

I'm in the same boat to some extent - I have a couple of nice old English and Scottish side by sides that I have no intention of putting steel through (just bismuth) and then have my AYA no2s for standard steel.

The other thing I've looked into is Bio Ammo Blue - which is supposed to be as effective as steel, but can be used through any choke (made from a mixture of bismuth and some other things so its a lot softer than steel). I havent been able to get hold of any yet though, so I've no first hand experience - but as the bulge is meant to be caused by pressure at the choke, softer shot sounds like the way to deal with it.

Nitro proof = standard steel proof, all you have to think about is the chokes. If they are open (half or less choke) then should be nothing to worry about. Basc and the proof houses have released info to this effect many times. Standard steel is perfectly fine for most shoots. Higher bird shoots may need to consider HP steel and some really high bird shoots may have to jig things around to keep most birds presented within 40-50 yards for a while. 

The top shot (by far) in our syndicate this year has been shooting 32g 5s standard steel.

3 hours ago, bigroomboy said:

Nitro proof = standard steel proof, all you have to think about is the chokes. If they are open (half or less choke) then should be nothing to worry about. Basc and the proof houses have released info to this effect many times. Standard steel is perfectly fine for most shoots. Higher bird shoots may need to consider HP steel and some really high bird shoots may have to jig things around to keep most birds presented within 40-50 yards for a while. 

The top shot (by far) in our syndicate this year has been shooting 32g 5s standard steel.

Or use lead. 🙂

I collect the spent cartridges of those guns on our BIG shoot, after each drive, and only one gun this season has not used lead on the days I’ve been present.
Still a lot of shooters using traditional 2 & 1/2 inch chambered sxs’s, but the majority of those using OU’s have still been using lead. 

Edited by Scully

46 minutes ago, Scully said:

Or use lead. 🙂

I collect the spent cartridges of those guns on our BIG shoot, after each drive, and only one gun this season has used lead on the days I’ve been present.
Still a lot of shooters using traditional 2 & 1/2 inch chambered sxs’s, but the majority of those using OU’s have still been using lead. 

Tad confused. Is there a 'not' missing in the first sentence or is the second speaking generally and not about the BIG shoot?

1 hour ago, wymberley said:

Tad confused. Is there a 'not' missing in the first sentence or is the second speaking generally and not about the BIG shoot?

You’re quite correct Wymberley! My apologies for not checking before posting. 
I would add I don’t know anyone who has shot steel this season on driven game. 

1 hour ago, grahamch said:

Standard steel in a 2.5 or 2.75 inch case upto no4s will be fine, eg gamebore 32g super steel or grand prix by eley etc.

Do Gamebore make their 32g Super steel 2.75 in standard as well as HP? I only ask because I have used those extensively in the past, but all have been HP. 

9 hours ago, Scully said:

You’re quite correct Wymberley! My apologies for not checking before posting. 
I would add I don’t know anyone who has shot steel this season on driven game. 

Do Gamebore make their 32g Super steel 2.75 in standard as well as HP? I only ask because I have used those extensively in the past, but all have been HP. 

They class 32g no4 as standard and 32g no3 as hp for some reason per their website

12 hours ago, Sweet11-87 said:

Not sure that’s the case. Eley vip steel eco wad are 32g of steel 3 and they are classed as standard steel.

I don't actually KNOW as I don't use the stuff and have to rely on what I've been told in order to make any decisions. BASC and CIP (via BASC) were the source of my information, so should you need to be sure, you could check. I can't seem to find out what dimension Eley No 3 steel is so remain uncertain whereas the Gamebore offering is well defined.

However, it does seem that Eley must use a different steel shot for their VIP steel Eco Wad loads as they class all other steel shot 3 loads as HP. 

Edited by wymberley