Proof marks on my Browning

Harry Callahan

13 hours ago, Sweet11-87 said:

Not sure that’s the case. Eley vip steel eco wad are 32g of steel 3 and they are classed as standard steel.

3 hours ago, wymberley said:

I don't actually KNOW as I don't use the stuff and have to rely on what I've been told in order to make any decisions. BASC and CIP (via BASC) were the source of my information, so should you need to be sure, you could check. I can't seem to find out what dimension Eley No 3 steel is so remain uncertain whereas the Gamebore offering is well defined.

However, it does seem that Eley must use a different steel shot for their VIP steel Eco Wad loads as they class all other steel shot 3 loads as HP. 

There is apparently an issue where diffrent makers (diffrent country's?) Attribute diffrent numbering designations to the same sized shot - hence some steel no.3 is standard and some is high performance. I've noticed on the latest batch of steel cartridges I've had for Lyalvale that they gave shot size (no.5, etc) and the size in mm as well.

Edited by PeterHenry

1 hour ago, PeterHenry said:

There is apparently an issue where diffrent makers (diffrent country's?) Attribute diffrent numbering designations to the same sized shot - hence some steel no.3 is standard and some is high performance. I've noticed on the latest batch of steel cartridges I've had for Lyalvale that they gave shot size (no.5, etc) and the size in mm as well.

Seems Eley is the only mob that I know of selling steel shot which is smaller than the same nominally sized lead.

12 hours ago, wymberley said:

I don't actually KNOW as I don't use the stuff and have to rely on what I've been told in order to make any decisions. BASC and CIP (via BASC) were the source of my information, so should you need to be sure, you could check. I can't seem to find out what dimension Eley No 3 steel is so remain uncertain whereas the Gamebore offering is well defined.

However, it does seem that Eley must use a different steel shot for their VIP steel Eco Wad loads as they class all other steel shot 3 loads as HP. 

i am sure mate. been using it for a while, just didnt wana tell you so bluntly. you may have a point about it not being a true 3 though and as far as steel goes they are on the slow side if the velocity figures on the website are to be belived so maybe thats how they got it under the pressure threshold. its traveling about 200fps slower than the vip steel plastic 32g of 3.

Edited by Sweet11-87

12 hours ago, Sweet11-87 said:

i am sure mate. been using it for a while, just didnt wana tell you so bluntly. you may have a point about it not being a true 3 though and as far as steel goes they are on the slow side if the velocity figures on the website are to be belived so maybe thats how they got it under the pressure threshold. its traveling about 200fps slower than the vip steel plastic 32g of 3.

I'm only on about the shot size. Have now had a look and the momentum and velocity figures put the cartridge well inside the SP levels. Possibly a good cartridge for anyone not looking for every possible inch of range but preferring a decent pattern density -  if they are, indeed, more like c4s.

3 hours ago, wymberley said:

I'm only on about the shot size. Have now had a look and the momentum and velocity figures put the cartridge well inside the SP levels. Possibly a good cartridge for anyone not looking for every possible inch of range but preferring a decent pattern density -  if they are, indeed, more like c4s.

Think that’s the nail on the head. Over decoys on a flight pond or pigeons they’re cracking. Wouldn’t like to stretch them too far. And again as far as steel goes they’re quite soft shooting 

Edited by Sweet11-87