WINCHESTER 9410

Fenlandbob

Greetings, all.

I keep looking at purchasing a Winchester underlever shotgun. Any views on the fixed choke (open) Vs the multi choke? ( I've never had a multi choke, and they scare me. They strike me as fragile, perhaps?) Also, what is a realistic price for one of these in tidy condition? Any comments welcome. Many thanks.

Regards, Rob.

2 hours ago, 39TDS said:

For what they are I really cannot see the point of a multichoke.

£1200+ for a good one seems to be the going rate, most of them haven't seen a lot of cartridge and at that price they won't.

From what I've seen, that seems about right. There's a fixed choke advertised for £995. Scary when that appears to be a cheap one....,

1 hour ago, Weihrauch17 said:

Some are 2 1/2 inch and are going to be worthless when none toxic comes in.

There's a funny thing you say. I was having this discussion with someone else. I've got a cupboard full of old Lee Enfields in 410.  For some strange reason I love the things, but surely they're going to be paperweights if that **** goes ahead?

Regards, Rob.

I have one with a fixed choke and it's a lot of fun. If you have the opportunity to buy one with fixed or multi chokes I would take it as they are fairly rare. If you're putting one on your FAC you also have the option of a Marlin 1895 version that has a 22" barrel. 

The Winchester holds nine shells when unrestricted and is a lovely bit of kit. 

7 hours ago, Fenlandbob said:

From what I've seen, that seems about right. There's a fixed choke advertised for £995. Scary when that appears to be a cheap one....,

There's a funny thing you say. I was having this discussion with someone else. I've got a cupboard full of old Lee Enfields in 410.  For some strange reason I love the things, but surely they're going to be paperweights if that **** goes ahead?

Regards, Rob.

Where is that one advertised please 😉

2 hours ago, Jaymo said:

2 hours ago, Jaymo said:

Hello, Jaymo.

Have a look on Guntrader. Gunshop in Derbyshire, I believe.  She looks tidy enough. Basic model with a plain stock. However, there is one slight problem......, I've bought it! The seller even had a bit of a haggle. Just couldn't say no....., All I  need to do now, is work out how to get it home without the 'boss' finding out. 

4 hours ago, theshootist said:

I have one with a fixed choke and it's a lot of fun. If you have the opportunity to buy one with fixed or multi chokes I would take it as they are fairly rare. If you're putting one on your FAC you also have the option of a Marlin 1895 version that has a 22" barrel. 

The Winchester holds nine shells when unrestricted and is a lovely bit of kit. 

Hello, mate. I've since purchased one with a fixed choke. I haven't collected it yet, but the price was right, and I've been on about getting one for a while. She's basic with a plain stock, but that doesn't bother me. If she's too pretty I'd be scared to use it! I fancy taking some squirrels with it. I'll keep you posted.

Regards, Rob.

1 hour ago, enfieldspares said:

Heck! £1200!! I can get a reasonable .410" side by side boxlock ejector for half that!

Scary, when you put it like that. They do seem to fetch strong money, though. They also seem to be a Marmite gun. I'm sure that there's more sensible guns to buy, but where's the fun in that?!

I bought a fairly new 9410 Sec2 a couple of years ago, nice bit of kit but I had trouble with holding the lever closed with sufficient force when firing, due to the straight stock to release the second safety that I sold it. My local gunsmith wouldn't disable the grip safety.  A friend in Derbyshire has had one a long time and his has no grip /lever safety. Seems that only the more recent ones were so fitted. I paid £900 and sold it easily for the same.

36 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

Annie Oakley used a smoothbore Winchester lever action in smoothbore to performing many of her shooting tricks. These are very desirable collector items in the USA.

https://annieoakleycenterfoundation.com/faq4.html

Marvelous! Every day is a school day. I have read of .44-40 before but assumed that they were later conversions.

10 minutes ago, stevethejeep said:

I bought a fairly new 9410 Sec2 a couple of years ago, nice bit of kit but I had trouble with holding the lever closed with sufficient force when firing, due to the straight stock to release the second safety that I sold it. My local gunsmith wouldn't disable the grip safety.  A friend in Derbyshire has had one a long time and his has no grip /lever safety. Seems that only the more recent ones were so fitted. I paid £900 and sold it easily for the same.

Morning, mate. Not that I intend to sell, but like you say, if the price is right, you'll always sell them on. Mine is the later one with the tang safety, so I assume it's got the grip safety.  I've not collected it yet.

Regards, Rob.

8 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

Annie Oakley used a smoothbore Winchester lever action in smoothbore to performing many of her shooting tricks. These are very desirable collector items in the USA.

https://annieoakleycenterfoundation.com/faq4.html

Evening, mate. Funny how one thing leads to another. I've just spoken with a gentleman who has a Uberti .44-40 smooth bore for sale. With octagonal barrel. I need help, and a bigger gun cupboard....,

22 hours ago, Fenlandbob said:

Hello, mate. I've since purchased one with a fixed choke. I haven't collected it yet, but the price was right, and I've been on about getting one for a while. She's basic with a plain stock, but that doesn't bother me. If she's too pretty I'd be scared to use it! I fancy taking some squirrels with it. I'll keep you posted.

Regards, Rob.

Enjoy it. If you get really into it you can experiment with loading magtec .410 full length brass shells! 

I have regretted not buying the one I had in my hands in the local gunshop when they were new in about 2002. I have consoled myself as I have since spoke to a few people who have them and they cycle fine - with Winchester and Remington cartridges. They apparently do not like European spec cartridges, especially Express. There is a gunshop in Oxon sells the Winchester but at about £580 per 1000. The people I have conversed with say the will fire once and then you struggle to eject and feed the next cartridge. There is even a review by an English gun shop on Youtube and they end stating the same. I wonder why this is why so many that are advertised for sale state "had little use".

I hope you find a cartridge that lets you get full enjoyment out of it.

20 minutes ago, Lever357 said:

I have regretted not buying the one I had in my hands in the local gunshop when they were new in about 2002. I have consoled myself as I have since spoke to a few people who have them and they cycle fine - with Winchester and Remington cartridges. They apparently do not like European spec cartridges, especially Express. There is a gunshop in Oxon sells the Winchester but at about £580 per 1000. The people I have conversed with say the will fire once and then you struggle to eject and feed the next cartridge. There is even a review by an English gun shop on Youtube and they end stating the same. I wonder why this is why so many that are advertised for sale state "had little use".

I hope you find a cartridge that lets you get full enjoyment out of it.

Hello, mate. Yeah, I have read similar. I'd been toying with the idea of one for ever, but kept changing my mind for the reasons you mentioned. I also reload my own 410 cartridges, which could prove to be a nightmare in the gun. That said, I was talking to a chap who owns more than one of the things, and he advised me to experiment with slight adjustments to final cartridge lengths. We shall see. Incidentally, a couple of years ago I did look at a Turkish ( I think) equivalent. I'm sure it was 3" and proofed for steel shot. Around £700 brand new. Probably the more sensible option, but to me the Winchester is the real deal. I can't for the life of me remember the make of it. 

We shall see. You never know, there might well be a cheap Winchester for sale here, with very little use!

Regards, Rob.