10 bore 2 5/8 cartridges wanted

svdsniper

Hi

I have an old hammergun comming to me thats nitro proofed and on SGC, it's 2 5/8 chamber and I would like to pick up some original cartridges for it if anyone has any or knows where I can get some?

Also interested in load data using pyrodex or other BP substitute and once fired 20 bore cases to trim down in case I have to start reloading

Thanks

Kevin

Edited by svdsniper

Yes cartridges no longer made but they are still out there...Holts auction has them quite often but driving to Norfolk is a long drive for a box of cartridges...I'm willing to travel within a reasonable distance.

Reloading is my last resort...just want to try it out with original loadings.

9 minutes ago, svdsniper said:

Yes cartridges no longer made but they are still out there...Holts auction has them quite often but driving to Norfolk is a long drive for a box of cartridges...I'm willing to travel within a reasonable distance.

Reloading is my last resort...just want to try it out with original loadings.

Your location would be handy 

the old 2.5/8 fetch a fair premium for both collectors and people who want to shoot occasionally 

1 hour ago, Dave at kelton said:

I have a box and a half but SW Scotland and can’t post. Easy enough to load your own if you cut down a standard 3.5” and roll turnover.

Shame we are so far away, it's strange as the guy selling me the gun had some cartridges for it but couldn't transfer even to RFD yet just cartridges send to your residential address...must be a way but its cost I guess...just cartridges charge £15 to deliver 1000 cartridges I am told.....I just can't find how they are doing it

12 hours ago, svdsniper said:

Shame we are so far away, it's strange as the guy selling me the gun had some cartridges for it but couldn't transfer even to RFD yet just cartridges send to your residential address...must be a way but its cost I guess...just cartridges charge £15 to deliver 1000 cartridges I am told.....I just can't find how they are doing it

If you can find a way of delivering pm and happy to discuss price.

29 minutes ago, dipper said:

Would be quite easy to reload with basic hand tools.That’s the way I would go.

Yes I am planning to gather hulls and wads etc to reload in due course but would like some original factory cartridges too.

Also I have no load data for this 10 bore 2 5/8 yet

When your ready to start reloading .let me know the powder your going to us and I will sort you some loads.If you use new cases just in one gun shouldn’t need to resize. De and re capping easy to make  scales and a RTO  and your ready to go.

1 hour ago, dipper said:

When your ready to start reloading .let me know the powder your going to us and I will sort you some loads.If you use new cases just in one gun shouldn’t need to resize. De and re capping easy to make  scales and a RTO  and your ready to go.

Hi Dipper

I was thinking of using Pyrodex to be close to BP experience and pressures but I do have stock of Vectan SP7....do you reccomend any specific powders/loads?

I should collect the gun next weekend so should have a chance to see what it's proof marks say with regarding proofed pressure etc.

I have reloaded plenty for my rifles but not done shotshells before

There's no need to resort to pyrodex if your gun is nitro proofed, nitro powders are more consistent between lots and far less corrosive to your barrels. 

Seems a shame to fire off some old collector's 2 5/8 inch cartridges just for the sake of it. As others have said, it's not difficult to trim down some 3.5 inch cases and use a roll turnover tool to make some homeloads. Clay & Game will probably have something you could use in terms of data (and they'll probably be quite helpful as you'd be ordering from them). 

On 29/01/2022 at 19:31, Dave at kelton said:

I have a box and a half but SW Scotland and can’t post. Easy enough to load your own if you cut down a standard 3.5” and roll turnover.

Hi Dave

I still haven't got zny reply from te courier do I have tried to contact them again but not sure they will reply...but I try

13 hours ago, svdsniper said:

Hi Dave

I still haven't got zny reply from te courier do I have tried to contact them again but not sure they will reply...but I try

No rush they have been sitting here with my own gun for a very long time. Just as and when. I will be down in Oxford in May as well.