Shooting in Storm Malik.

JDog

The wind made a mockery of my plans today. At 30 to 40mph it was just too strong for decoying.

My usual companion, the videographer from Rotherham, had an early start as I wanted to shoot the early line into the field. As it was we were late and hundreds went through before we were in position. 

We shot a couple of crackers before admitting that the wind had blown the pigeons off the line. About 400 went through untouched.

A vain attempt at decoying resulted in two pigeons until the dead birds actually blew off the rotary.

We then moved for some shelter but the birds wanted to be elsewhere.

Undaunted we went to a spinney where pigeons were sheltering. Upon approaching 300 flew out and I managed a decent treble. We added a few to the bag.

Then home for a rest and a cup of coffee before heading out roost shooting. The pigeons were amazing and my companion shot beautifully on his first ever roost shoot. We added a decent number to today's bag.

I did take notice in your post of another ( decent treble ) , coming out of the wood in that wind would have certainly been decent , a chap I was talking to yesterday down the marsh had just treated himself to a Benneli ? three shot auto which was all carbon except the barrel , being curious he got it out of the sleeve to show me , wow , what a gun , the ( woodwork ) looked exactly like the real thing and it was a light weight compared to my s x s , it came up a treat and I could easily be converted after lifetime of using side by sides .

Having said that , I did manage a right + left at Teal this morning in a fairly strong wind , mind you I cheated a bit as I walked them up into the wind and although I was well pleased it couldn't had came close to your treble , if my Teal had got up with the wind up there back sides then they would have still been alive now to tell the tale :lol: