.270 win

Hi all.

I've just inherited a Parker Hale .270 in good nick. I'm also lucky to have a mate on Mull with a farm and can go up anytime I like and especially if he gets reds in his trees.(he's planted loads of trees, a bit of a tree nut).

We grew up shooting together but he now doesn't pull a trigger unless a deer is in his trees, but he'd rather I take that over so I said just give me a bell and I'd go up for a week or two's stay with the Mrs.

I digress a bit so back to my question, for those that use the .270 what are they like? I load my own for my triple and .243 so not new to reloading so ask what bullet would  be best? fast and flattish 130gr  or slower thinking meat damage 150gr if they both go in the rifle, I'm thinking vhit 160 views please. thanks Steve.

Edited by tonker

Load them with 140 grain or 150 grain bullets at around 2,700 to 2,800 fps and they are pusscats (unless you've a twenty-two inch barrel). Use factory "old school" 130 grain at 3,100 fps and they are horrible. Viht N160 is a very good powder for the .270 WCF. If you are a handloader then I've two boxes of Hornandy 150 grain Interlock bullets for sale. £28.00 per box of one hundred posted in Great Britain.

del (2).JPG

Edited by enfieldspares

2 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

Load them with 140 grain or 150 grain bullets at around 2,700 to 2,800 fps and they are pusscats (unless you've a twenty-two inch barrel). Use factory "old school" 130 grain at 3,100 fps and they are horrible. Viht N160 is a very good powder for the .270 WCF. If you are a handloader then I've two boxes of Hornandy 150 grain Interlock bullets for sale. £28.00 per box of one hundred posted in Great Britain.

del (2).JPG

Interested in these then, I reckon that an inch high at 100 will give me a zero of about 165 @ 2700 or thereabouts. sound about right? how are they in a 1;10 twist?

Edited by tonker

I was give  a PH 270 a while back, I havent the time or inclination to reload at the moment but mine enjoys 130gr Federal Powrshok. Now when I first got it I didn't have the money to afford a mod for it and typically it was a different thread to my ASE Northstar 30 cal mod so I had to use it naked - the gun not me. And the only way I can describe it is as brilliantly disgusting! The 2ft jet of flame out of the muzzle was brilliant, the monstrous bang that scared everything in a 15 mile radius was disgusting 😂 but as a caliber it does seem to make things very dead with an authority more in with a much bigger caliber....like a 20mm cannon 😂😂 I suspect I will eventually upgrade the PH to something else because I'm fickle and like shiny things.

On 30/01/2022 at 08:04, Benthejockey said:

I was give  a PH 270 a while back, I havent the time or inclination to reload at the moment but mine enjoys 130gr Federal Powrshok. Now when I first got it I didn't have the money to afford a mod for it and typically it was a different thread to my ASE Northstar 30 cal mod so I had to use it naked - the gun not me. And the only way I can describe it is as brilliantly disgusting! The 2ft jet of flame out of the muzzle was brilliant, the monstrous bang that scared everything in a 15 mile radius was disgusting 😂 but as a caliber it does seem to make things very dead with an authority more in with a much bigger caliber....like a 20mm cannon 😂😂 I suspect I will eventually upgrade the PH to something else because I'm fickle and like shiny things.

Yes I have shot one naked, not very subtle in a great none PC sort of way waking the dead but like you say very effective.

Throw a mod on it and they are very nice rifles to shoot. Without a can   they are a bit of a demon on the shoulder but otherwise a good caliber.

Found the 130 grains a bit explosives so alot of guys I know use 140 and 150 grain.

On 308 now as it died a few years ago. They are both as good as each other in my opinion

Had a 270 for years, cracking caliber.  With a can on they are a pussycat of a round. Only ever used 130gr rounds, reason being that it what the 270 was originally designed to use. I understand the meat damage worry but your main objective is a clean kill and the 270 will definitely do that.

Atb scobydog. 

I load 130 grain Speer soft points over 55 grains of Ramshot Hunter. They leave at a little over 3000fps and I'm yet to have anything walk away from the spot I shot it on.

Using a .270 without a moderator is a bit of a fools game, but with a good can on the end it becomes a very effective tool against anything the UK has to offer in the way of quarry. Zeroed at 100yds I give nearly an inch of elevation at 150yds, and 3" at 200. At 250yds it needs 6" and 300 it needs 11". As by far the majority of my deer are taken at sub-200yds it's a simple job to 'give it a bit' if it's over my zero range. Deer tend to drop on the spot and Charlie doesn't like it one little bit ;) Think "Skin 'n' soup".

Not tried the copper jobs yet as I am well stocked with the 2 types of bullet I load up. Good to know they are doing the job well. What's the meat damage like with them though ? I load 110grain ballistic tips for the .270 and soon found that they are superb for Charlie but too 'dramatic' for deer that you want to eat. They must damned near explode on impact .. to the point where a CWD hit just behind the shoulder with one will be good for 'back end' meat but nothing else. The entry was clean enough, but he other side had a hole I could have fit my (size 12) boot in.

I can't get my head around the way 270s have always been written about.  How they are meat destroyers./. how they are like 20 mm cannons, ect ,ect any centre fire will wake up the neighbours if a can is not used but so what.   Let em know that you're out there.  Why should we hide and sneak around like criminal poachers.  Loads... some years ago in the basc mag they published a load of H4895 driving a Speer 130.  now this was a light load designed to give the required muzzle energy but it was like shooting a 20 bore.  they had a Parker Hale in 270 win that was available for stalking in their forestry areas.  this load would take deer cleanly. if you reload you can load lightly.  you don't have to drive your Porsche  flat out everywhere and you don't have to load the 270 up until the recoil hurts.  That light load was blooming good on Charlie.  Perhaps someone can remember that loading.

18 hours ago, Minky said:

I can't get my head around the way 270s have always been written about.  How they are meat destroyers./. how they are like 20 mm cannons, ect ,ect any centre fire will wake up the neighbours if a can is not used but so what.   Let em know that you're out there.  Why should we hide and sneak around like criminal poachers.  Loads... some years ago in the basc mag they published a load of H4895 driving a Speer 130.  now this was a light load designed to give the required muzzle energy but it was like shooting a 20 bore.  they had a Parker Hale in 270 win that was available for stalking in their forestry areas.  this load would take deer cleanly. if you reload you can load lightly.  you don't have to drive your Porsche  flat out everywhere and you don't have to load the 270 up until the recoil hurts.  That light load was blooming good on Charlie.  Perhaps someone can remember that loading.

You can load a .308 / .30-06 / .270 / .30-30 / etc with 16 to 24 grains of 2400 to give the sweetest light load and very accurate.

12 -16  grains of unique for plinking and short range foxes ideal with lead bullets from Shellhouse Bullet Co

on the subject of meat damage. Privi bullets are designed to give slower expansion causing less meat damage. Its in their technical write up. I have used them for years and have had no issues with accuracy or quality control.

why pay 200% markup on imported American bullets? or ammo? it makes no sense to me