Too Good an Opportunity to Miss, Windy Fenland Woods.

TIGHTCHOKE

While watching the weather forecast for this weekend, it became apparent that the expected high winds on Saturday would not be conducive when coaching novices.

Consequently plans were changed and the coaching was set back 24 hours to Sunday morning when it would be colder but much less windy.

Accordingly I planned to get out under a wood during the afternoon and take advantage of the high winds.

I was north of the 40 Foot Drain and south of Benwick.

I arrived and carried all the kit in to the wood and then moved the car off the track, just in case a farm vehicle might require access.

I put the lofting poles up in the barest part of the middle of the wood and managed to get 7 sections up on one set and five on the second set.

I will not attempt to get any more than 7 even with someone to help, it is just uncontrollable.

The golden hour was from 15:00 to 16:00 and I was lucky to be able to move up and down the wood to meet the incoming birds.

I had recently bought some of the much maligned black Gamebore Clear Pigeon cartridges, they worked fine if you point them in the right direction.

I have included some pictures of the wonderful skies and the lofted decoys.

IMG_20220129_132808a.jpg

IMG_20220129_132812a.jpg

IMG_20220129_162127a.jpg

IMG_20220129_140036a.jpg

Excellent result, taking advantage of the perfect roost shooting weather! How many did those clear pigeons bring down? I must admit we bought a thousand of them and they were the only cartridge I’ve used for years I just didn’t get on that well with, although as you say do the job when pointed in the right direction.  
I was gutted not to be able to get over to a favourite roosting flight line yesterday afternoon in that wind, despite my best efforts I had to look after the children. 
My other half doesn’t believe me when I say ‘tomorrow won’t be any good’ ! 

6 hours ago, JDog said:

I felt sure that you wouldn’t have attempted to erect the lofting pole in those winds.

Do you think they are making a difference to your roost shooting?

It was a game, but you have to try these things, also better without an audience and my shooting Mate was beating yesterday.

Yes I think they do bring them in, I plan to modify the branch heads to a different design in order to improve on them.

i used my lofters on a lone tree in a hedge line..........near the tree was a area that was thick with ivy..and berries at the time of the year......the lofters stuck out like a sore thumb........always worked a treat.....sometimes when i was having a wee or a coffee a pigeon would come in and sit right up against the lofter.......

its not thick and fast shooting........but can be nice and steady

2 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

It was a game, but you have to try these things, also better without an audience and my shooting Mate was beating yesterday.

Yes I think they do bring them in, I plan to modify the branch heads to a different design in order to improve on them.

If you used the same tree , or trees when you visit the fens for roost shooting , would it be possible to lob a weighted length of para cord over a high branch and haul a small branch up with two full body decoys nail to it , when finished you lower them back down and leave the cord tied up so on your next visit it is just a matter of hauling them up again , this could be done on two or three trees so you use six decoys , or use the one(s) that are best for the wind direction on the chosen day ?:good:

Just now, marsh man said:

If you used the same tree , or trees when you visit the fens for roost shooting , would it be possible to lob a weighted length of para cord over a high branch and haul a small branch up with two full body decoys nail to it , when finished you lower them back down and leave the cord tied up so on your next visit it is just a matter of hauling them up again , this could be done on two or three trees so you use six decoys , or use the one(s) that are best for the wind direction on the chosen day ?:good:

No that would just end up in a tangled mess!  :lol:

I am a Member of a syndicate and things like that left around would probably disappear.  :rolleyes:

7 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

No that would just end up in a tangled mess!  

I am a Member of a syndicate and things like that left around would probably disappear.  

In this hi tec world you will soon get some smart arsxx use a drone to take them up and then lower them on a likely branch , the other week someone had the bright idea when they one to dangled a sausage to tempt a lost dog , so it will only be a matter of time .:lol: