What is this?? Calling all ammo collector's

Evening all, I've been rummaging around my local car boot sale and bought a few bits of uniform, mainly royal navy. In the pocket I found a few of these!!! They appear to be spent blank rounds that extend when fired?? I've never seen anything like it, does anyone know what these are please. 

IMG_20220130_172309_copy_1040x780.jpg

IMG_20220130_172325_copy_1040x780.jpg

IMG_20220130_172251_copy_1040x780.jpg

IMG_20220130_172219_copy_1040x780.jpg

No idea, it does look like there is a recess in the front of the case to hold somthing. If it's an item that may get sombody in a sticky situation I would rather hand it in or get rid of to be honest. Never wanting to get in to trouble with a mystery item

Looks like it may be similar to an 8mm round or 32acp maybe 

This is a 9mm Parabellum equivalent 'Force on force' fired cartridge case.  Different examples are produced by a variety of companies.

The most famous is probably, the 'simunition' brand.

ATK / Speer / Federal make a similar round.

Alternatively, you could wave the flag and go the UTM (Ultimate Training Munitions) route - they are made in the UK and used by quite a few police forces. That is what I believe yours is. I have a similar empty case sat on my desk as I type this.

Have a look at UTMworldwide.com

They produce paint marker rounds, target rounds, 'quiet' blanks etc.

Regards

Andy

Its called "simunition". The modern 9mm stuff is a metal case with a plastic piston, but it works the same. This captive piston allows the recoil operated pistol to function. Gas operated weapons like the rifle don't need this, so they just have a low powered charge and a lightweight bolt carrier. 

Edited by theshootist

On 31/01/2022 at 17:51, foxbasher said:

Amazing info guys, much appreciated. Would it get me in any trouble having them in my small collection. I know these police/military items can be a bit grey sometimes in the eyes of the law

As tight choke says, it's a fired cartridge case.  Not an issue.  Loaded rounds (other than blank) are S1.